Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th October 2016, 14:59   #1
BlueMustang
Regular poster

MGZTT190 biomorphic green,MGZTT190 trophy blue 2001,Rover SD1 VDP 1981,Rover V8-S 1979,Mini 25

Default Xenon headlamp faulty adjustment

I've recently bought a Mk1 ZTT190,which I think was called Kermit or biohazard and previously owned by Carlalou, which has a few minor problems including headlight adjustment.

It has xenon headlamps but the drivers headlamp points down far too low.

I am unclear as to whether this could be a problem with the sensor arms under the car as it only affects one headlamp.

I tried to adjust the headlamp aim with the adjuster on the headlamp and found it didn't have one.

It just has a metal pin poking out so I presume the plastic adjuster bits have been broken off.

I have pulled the pin out a bit and cable tied it so it doesn't spring back in,this has raised the headlamps nearly enough but I need a proper fix.

So is it possible to fix or replace the broken adjusters or do I need another headlamp unit?
BlueMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2016, 15:19   #2
Animesis
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon 2.0l Diesel Connoisseur

If its what I think, then yes you can simply replace them, the easiest way to find the plastic adjuster arm is to pop to a local scrappy pull the light off open the back, unscrew it all the way then dislocate it from the ball joint. I bought some zenons and both of the black plastic adjusters had broken -luckily I had my old headlights to use for spares- as I couldnt find anywhere that sold them
Gearbox change, clutch, subframe refurbish, handbrake mod, drumbrake repair, rear coils, plate PCB repair, sunroof drains refitted, trim leak fix, cruise control fix, cleared EGR/inlet, new strut bearings, USB sockets in rear ashtray, new front brake pipes/hoses, repaired undertray, new o/s rear upper arm, refurbished rear suspension&subframe, fixed back light leak, new exhaust, fitted HID xenons, FBH fix, new thermostat, armrest LEDs, wood dash, new hydromount, natnav, tyres, numberplates
Animesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2016, 17:04   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

You may have to split the case/lens joint to get at the internals. The metal spindle is threaded in a plastic 'pushrod' gizmo that connects to the reflector. One moves it left-right, the other up-down. This photo shows the left-right adjuster.

It sounds like your up-down pushrod is the problem. It may have detached from the ball socket or the socket may have snapped from the reflector. The next photo shows both adjusters.

The white gubbins at the bottom is the motorised pushrod that's operated by a stepper motor and the interior thumbwheel (halogens) or the suspension sensors (HID).

Next photo is the reflector showing the ball sockets and the lower pivot point. The top middle one (up-down) had snapped off in the post. I stuck it back with Araldite.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 9th October 2016 at 17:17..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2016, 17:56   #4
BlueMustang
Regular poster

MGZTT190 biomorphic green,MGZTT190 trophy blue 2001,Rover SD1 VDP 1981,Rover V8-S 1979,Mini 25

Does anyone know what the difference between the projector headlights and the Xenon headlights as there seems to be a big difference in price?

Is it possible to take some bits off the Xenon headlights and add them to the projector headlights or are they totally different?
BlueMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2016, 19:56   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMustang View Post
Does anyone know what the difference between the projector headlights and the Xenon headlights as there seems to be a big difference in price?
The light sources (the bulbs if you like) are different. The lamps themselves are basically identical.

'Xenon' was MGR's term for high energy discharge units (HIDs) which emit for more light using less power than filament bulbs ('halogen'). HID burners (the 'bulbs') require a separate igniter and high voltage system, which made HID lamps more expensive

Quote:
Is it possible to take some bits off the Xenon headlights and add them to the projector headlights or are they totally different?
Apart from the 'bulbs' and the power supply for the HID, all the other bits are the same. You can fix your wonky HID projectors with hardware from a halogen projector.

Last edited by T-Cut; 9th October 2016 at 19:58..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote