Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th October 2016, 20:36   #1
Animesis
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon 2.0l Diesel Connoisseur

Default Coolant loss

Driving about 500miles a week and after each week the coolant needs topping upto about 1/4 to 1/2 a pint. I know its leaking from where the water pump connects onto the engine.
Would the pump be failing, if so how can I tell?
Or is it just a knackered seal that I can worry about another day and just make sure its always topped up?
Gearbox change, clutch, subframe refurbish, handbrake mod, drumbrake repair, rear coils, plate PCB repair, sunroof drains refitted, trim leak fix, cruise control fix, cleared EGR/inlet, new strut bearings, USB sockets in rear ashtray, new front brake pipes/hoses, repaired undertray, new o/s rear upper arm, refurbished rear suspension&subframe, fixed back light leak, new exhaust, fitted HID xenons, FBH fix, new thermostat, armrest LEDs, wood dash, new hydromount, natnav, tyres, numberplates
Animesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 21:29   #2
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

So it is a diesel, check in any case the pump
Old 12th October 2016, 21:35   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

could be leaking from the thermostat O ring, I have seen this a few times.
Old 12th October 2016, 21:55   #4
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

The ring is at the end of the small black pipe going into the plastic thermostat housing...
Old 13th October 2016, 08:36   #5
Animesis
Loves to post

is there a method to check the pump?
Gearbox change, clutch, subframe refurbish, handbrake mod, drumbrake repair, rear coils, plate PCB repair, sunroof drains refitted, trim leak fix, cruise control fix, cleared EGR/inlet, new strut bearings, USB sockets in rear ashtray, new front brake pipes/hoses, repaired undertray, new o/s rear upper arm, refurbished rear suspension&subframe, fixed back light leak, new exhaust, fitted HID xenons, FBH fix, new thermostat, armrest LEDs, wood dash, new hydromount, natnav, tyres, numberplates
Old 13th October 2016, 08:36   #6
Animesis
Loves to post

I can but hope! Is there any tips when checking it out as its a right pig to get to
Old 13th October 2016, 09:20   #7
Animesis
Loves to post

Having had a closer look again today it does appear to be leaking from the thermostat housing seals, or Oring, I will try changing the O ring this weekend
Old 13th October 2016, 12:37   #8
Alanbp
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer Auto Diesel

I did this job a few weeks ago-it was a pain but not too bad. The main thing is blind loosening the bolts securing the pipe along the back of the block. I removed the turbo/intercooling ducting to make life easier.The new o-ring went in ok and fingers crossed its stayed sealed. Note: some of the bolts on the black metal pipe are attached to heat shield type things are dont stop the pipe being bent back! I accessed the pipe from above and below the car!
Alanbp is offline   Reply With Quote