Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th October 2016, 15:46   #1
Rovernut
Loves to post

R75 Conn Tourer, R8 Tourer, R8 Cabby

Default Rusty rear Suspension Arm

I've been advised that the rear suspension arm is very rusty and needs replacing before it corrodes through.
I've been quoted £150 labour plus about £100 for parts. Apparently they are difficult to remove 'cause they seize up around the bush.

Does this sound reasonable for one side?

Thanks
Chris
Old 13th October 2016, 16:50   #2
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

I think they can be a PITA on a captive nut close to the pivot point...
Old 13th October 2016, 17:04   #3
Animesis
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon 2.0l Diesel Connoisseur

Had to change one of mine last month, recommend removing the rear subframe, its not too difficult. Then if the captive nuts breaks free as it often does - and mine did - you can get at it easily. If memory serves me correctly, take off calipers, take off exhaust, undo the hub to arm bolts, lower subframe and manauvre the calipers through the arms. Theres how tos on here.
Then its the captive nut and bolt. When mine broke free I was debating between spot welding it on but in the end as it still had some resistance to spinning I hammered on a pipe wrench to hold it in place.

Did mine in two days over a friday evening and saturday, as I cleaned the rust off the subframe and painted it with stonechip paint and waxoil paint and had to wait for that to dry.
Gearbox change, clutch, subframe refurbish, handbrake mod, drumbrake repair, rear coils, plate PCB repair, sunroof drains refitted, trim leak fix, cruise control fix, cleared EGR/inlet, new strut bearings, USB sockets in rear ashtray, new front brake pipes/hoses, repaired undertray, new o/s rear upper arm, refurbished rear suspension&subframe, fixed back light leak, new exhaust, fitted HID xenons, FBH fix, new thermostat, armrest LEDs, wood dash, new hydromount, natnav, tyres, numberplates
Animesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 18:02   #4
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

I would try here

This garage recently charged £50 per side

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...4&postcount=24

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 22:16   #5
FL04CCK

MG Zt-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesis View Post
Had to change one of mine last month, recommend removing the rear subframe, its not too difficult. Then if the captive nuts breaks free as it often does - and mine did - you can get at it easily. If memory serves me correctly, take off calipers, take off exhaust, undo the hub to arm bolts, lower subframe and manauvre the calipers through the arms. Theres how tos on here.
Then its the captive nut and bolt. When mine broke free I was debating between spot welding it on but in the end as it still had some resistance to spinning I hammered on a pipe wrench to hold it in place.

Did mine in two days over a friday evening and saturday, as I cleaned the rust off the subframe and painted it with stonechip paint and waxoil paint and had to wait for that to dry.
..what he said! ...Ive just done mine at the weekend and this is exactly how I did it.
.(:altho take off the exhaust all the way and check its ok, I didnt and its just cost me an mot!)
FL04CCK is offline   Reply With Quote