Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th November 2016, 09:27   #1
Walter
Posted a thing or two

zebadee

Question Rear suspension upper arm.

Is it possible to remove/replace rear suspension upper arm without having to remove the complete sub frame, was looking at Jim Jimiesons How To re complete refurb but answers not in there , anyone done this
Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2016, 10:24   #2
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Yes- providing the inner mounting bolt (15mm I think) comes undone and/or the captive nut in the subframe does not break away whilst trying to undo the bolt. If this happens, lowering the subframe is the only real option, so I have heard (never done it myself). The bolt head is accessed through a hole in the subframe, that will probably need a swivel joint or short extension bar between the socket and the breaker bar to get at it.

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2016, 10:32   #3
Walter
Posted a thing or two

zebadee

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
Yes- providing the inner mounting bolt (15mm I think) comes undone and/or the captive nut in the subframe does not break away whilst trying to undo the bolt. If this happens, lowering the subframe is the only real option, so I have heard (never done it myself). The bolt head is accessed through a hole in the subframe, that will probably need a swivel joint or short extension bar between the socket and the breaker bar to get at it.

Pete
Many thanks, so there is chance it can be done, gives me glimmer of hope as weather up here in Scotland not to sunny
Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2016, 10:35   #4
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter View Post
Many thanks, so there is chance it can be done, gives me glimmer of hope as weather up here in Scotland not to sunny
Good luck - let us know how you get on - I have only done undone these bolts once on a car where the arms were not too bad- if yours are really crusty/rusted, it may be more of a challenge !

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2016, 11:38   #5
Atcchus
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Auto Tourer

Check out this link Walter

http://doublebooth.blogspot.co.uk/20...-arms.html?m=1
Atcchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2016, 05:37   #6
MWMan
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Walter

I did a rear end overhaul this year myself including changing the upper and lower arms. I didn't touch the subframe at all. I documented it in case I have to do it again in the future. The pdf is attached - the upper arm is at number 10. It might be helpful, but the link from Atcchus is the same thing.

Good luck- they are not that easy to do. The secret for me was to soak all the nuts and bolts in plusgas or other penetrant a number times in the days leading up to doing the job. Also, have a good set of tools available.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rear End Overhaul.pdf (2.87 MB, 29 views)
MWMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2016, 06:23   #7
2.8jonmy
Regular poster

Rover 75 tourer

I did mine recently, well one of them anyway. I found that the socket swivel attachment was too wobbly to apply sufficient force to free the bolt and the next size up extention too long to clear the body. I wrapped tape around the swivel joint to effectively remove it's swivel and yet retain in effect a small amount of flex and it did the trick.
As said also lots of freeing oil for days or weeks before would be beneficial.
Also get it as high up I the air as possible if your working on the ground.
Good luck Jon.
2.8jonmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2016, 12:36   #8
Animesis
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon 2.0l Diesel Connoisseur

Certainly possible but depending on the condition of your subframe it might be worth getting it out. The captive nuts do have a habit of breaking free judging by what others have said. So i took the subframe off and lo and behold when I tried to undo it it broke free... :/ Its a great excuse to give the subframe and rub down and coat of paint etc
Its alot easier than it seems! Can use a jack to lower and lift the subframe.
Gearbox change, clutch, subframe refurbish, handbrake mod, drumbrake repair, rear coils, plate PCB repair, sunroof drains refitted, trim leak fix, cruise control fix, cleared EGR/inlet, new strut bearings, USB sockets in rear ashtray, new front brake pipes/hoses, repaired undertray, new o/s rear upper arm, refurbished rear suspension&subframe, fixed back light leak, new exhaust, fitted HID xenons, FBH fix, new thermostat, armrest LEDs, wood dash, new hydromount, natnav, tyres, numberplates
Animesis is offline   Reply With Quote