Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th November 2016, 10:10   #1
Animesis
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon 2.0l Diesel Connoisseur

Default Old Hydromount autopsy

Though you chaps might be intrigued to see the old hydromount I discovered needing replacing when I fitted a new thermostat.
After removing it I cut the old one in half as I was interested to see the inside. It wasnt full of the normal black gloop, but rather an orange/rust coloured water mix, considerable rust on parts of the inside, though Im not sure the pictures show it.

Now the engine is actually attached via a hydromount on the drivers side there is more vibration than before unfortunately. Through the seats at just under 2000rpm and through the steering wheel at idle.
When attaching the new mount it became apparent I needed to lift the engine about an inch, so I imagine the other mounts needs adjusting for the engines new position (particularly the lower mount) the old Hydromount must have sagged into itself considerably.

It was completely split in half across the top! Fix one thing on the car, I find something else that needs doing, -whilst doing the engine mount i discovered the condensor fins have gone- Look forward to when the cycle ends and I can spend a few weeks just enjoying the car with nothing on the back burner.
Gearbox change, clutch, subframe refurbish, handbrake mod, drumbrake repair, rear coils, plate PCB repair, sunroof drains refitted, trim leak fix, cruise control fix, cleared EGR/inlet, new strut bearings, USB sockets in rear ashtray, new front brake pipes/hoses, repaired undertray, new o/s rear upper arm, refurbished rear suspension&subframe, fixed back light leak, new exhaust, fitted HID xenons, FBH fix, new thermostat, armrest LEDs, wood dash, new hydromount, natnav, tyres, numberplates
Animesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2016, 10:32   #2
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesis View Post
Though you chaps might be intrigued to see the old hydromount I discovered needing replacing when I fitted a new thermostat.
After removing it I cut the old one in half as I was interested to see the inside. It wasnt full of the normal black gloop, but rather an orange/rust coloured water mix, considerable rust on parts of the inside, though Im not sure the pictures show it.

Now the engine is actually attached via a hydromount on the drivers side there is more vibration than before unfortunately. Through the seats at just under 2000rpm and through the steering wheel at idle.
When attaching the new mount it became apparent I needed to lift the engine about an inch, so I imagine the other mounts needs adjusting for the engines new position (particularly the lower mount) the old Hydromount must have sagged into itself considerably.

It was completely split in half across the top! Fix one thing on the car, I find something else that needs doing, -whilst doing the engine mount i discovered the condensor fins have gone- Look forward to when the cycle ends and I can spend a few weeks just enjoying the car with nothing on the back burner.
Thank you for posting the anatomy of a hydramount, please remember these wonderful cars are getting on now some are more than 15 years old, the original specification was truly tremendous no budgetary restrictions, but we all know the story, whilst everyone was working like a dog to save the group, the 'management' decided to go racing and hold expensive hospitality events, their incompetence killed Rover, I am amazed none were given a knighthood.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2016, 11:15   #3
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Now you have done the top one and raised the engine it probably affected the performance of the lower one. Then when you do the lower one dont be surprised if the wishbone bushes need doing next
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2016, 11:29   #4
Animesis
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon 2.0l Diesel Connoisseur

Glad to say I did the wishbone ones when I changed the gearbox! One less job The lower mount did have a small crack, I suppose that would be enough to cause vibration
Gearbox change, clutch, subframe refurbish, handbrake mod, drumbrake repair, rear coils, plate PCB repair, sunroof drains refitted, trim leak fix, cruise control fix, cleared EGR/inlet, new strut bearings, USB sockets in rear ashtray, new front brake pipes/hoses, repaired undertray, new o/s rear upper arm, refurbished rear suspension&subframe, fixed back light leak, new exhaust, fitted HID xenons, FBH fix, new thermostat, armrest LEDs, wood dash, new hydromount, natnav, tyres, numberplates
Animesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2016, 11:36   #5
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

The good news is its a fairly easy job compared to the hydramount. The cost has come down as well since dmgrs started sourcing them for us.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote