Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th January 2017, 19:01   #1
Animesis
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon 2.0l Diesel Connoisseur

Default Scuttle clip leak

On the passenger side I've got a scuttle clip that keeps working loose (the end one) and then the panel lifts slightly and allows a fast drop off water into the passenger footwear in at weather. Directly down the scuttle clip hole from the looks of it
Has anyone had a problem like this before? Is there anywhere I might be able to put some silicon to block off the water entry perhaps..? Would a new scuttle clip sort it or has something become misaligned causing it to continually vibrate out?

TiA

On the plus side new in tank pump fitted on Saturday and the fuel gauge is working normally again too!
Gearbox change, clutch, subframe refurbish, handbrake mod, drumbrake repair, rear coils, plate PCB repair, sunroof drains refitted, trim leak fix, cruise control fix, cleared EGR/inlet, new strut bearings, USB sockets in rear ashtray, new front brake pipes/hoses, repaired undertray, new o/s rear upper arm, refurbished rear suspension&subframe, fixed back light leak, new exhaust, fitted HID xenons, FBH fix, new thermostat, armrest LEDs, wood dash, new hydromount, natnav, tyres, numberplates
Animesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017, 19:25   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

I doubt very much a missing or loose scuttle clip will allow water into the car as the window is bonded to the bodywork. The clips only hold a plastic cover over the plenum chamber, so unless you've got a missing grommet on the bulkhead, no water should get in
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017, 20:12   #3
drjonts
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160

The rubber gasket behind the scuttle plug retaining clip could be the issue I guess.

More info. here?

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=130575

And the scuttle clip retainers from Rimmers...

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-EYC101450

Jonty
drjonts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017, 20:22   #4
Animesis
Loves to post

That sounds hopeful
It was only after searching for the leak someone said to check the scuttle clips. I guess the cup is broken.. Will have to have another investigate next weekend in the light, until then I have to keep pushing the scuttle clip down to stop water coming in!
Gearbox change, clutch, subframe refurbish, handbrake mod, drumbrake repair, rear coils, plate PCB repair, sunroof drains refitted, trim leak fix, cruise control fix, cleared EGR/inlet, new strut bearings, USB sockets in rear ashtray, new front brake pipes/hoses, repaired undertray, new o/s rear upper arm, refurbished rear suspension&subframe, fixed back light leak, new exhaust, fitted HID xenons, FBH fix, new thermostat, armrest LEDs, wood dash, new hydromount, natnav, tyres, numberplates
Old 8th January 2017, 20:28   #5
t5tart
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT cdti

check your plenum drains that a) they are clear and
b) one hasnt been pushed through when someone has been rodding it ..

if the rubber pipe has been dislodged then it will allow water into the footwell

the other thing to check if you have a sunroof is the sunroof drain hasnt come adrift

common problem

check your sunroof drains and plenum drains http://www.buddy-icons.info/img/smile/1609.gif

t5tart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 13:23   #6
pletevl
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 cdti(rhd), MG ZR(lhd), MG TF(lhd), MG TF(rhd), mini mpi (lhd), Renault megane III (awful)

Yes, mine leaked, got a new cup and araldited it in, and araldited all the others while i was at it. No leaks now and that was over 2 years ago.

I do find it a really stupid design, same on the rear window.

Pete
pletevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 13:52   #7
Animesis
Loves to post

Some of the first things I did to the car when getting it in may! ..after discovering the back footwells were sodden :/

Turns out its the scuttle clip cup, its fractured allowing water to wick down the scuttle clip, through the broken cup. It is indeed a daft design as pletevl says...

Something for others to watch out for! I thought I knew all the leaky spots by now
Old 9th January 2017, 13:53   #8
Animesis
Loves to post

Thats it! What a daft bit of design..
Old 9th January 2017, 13:53   #9
Animesis
Loves to post

Turns out its the scuttle clip cup, something to watch out for!
Old 10th January 2017, 20:14   #10
Animesis
Loves to post