Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th March 2017, 14:25   #1
Animesis
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon 2.0l Diesel Connoisseur

Default Loose n/s driveshaft?

A clunking has come to the n/s front of the car, particularly on speed bumps
If i grab the drive shaft near the gearbox it does move up and down a bit, i cant verify thats the cause of the noise

So Im wondering how much play should I expect in the n/s driveshaft, and is it from the gearbox or the shaft itself?
The fat part of the drive shaft is the part that moves up and down maybe 1/3 of an inch and the movement pivots out at the gearbox and the CV joint

Id hate to have to change the gearbox for a second time!
Gearbox change, clutch, subframe refurbish, handbrake mod, drumbrake repair, rear coils, plate PCB repair, sunroof drains refitted, trim leak fix, cruise control fix, cleared EGR/inlet, new strut bearings, USB sockets in rear ashtray, new front brake pipes/hoses, repaired undertray, new o/s rear upper arm, refurbished rear suspension&subframe, fixed back light leak, new exhaust, fitted HID xenons, FBH fix, new thermostat, armrest LEDs, wood dash, new hydromount, natnav, tyres, numberplates
Animesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2017, 21:49   #2
drjonts
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160

Sorry to hear of your woes...but if the 'fat' part of the inner joint is moving up and down I suppose it could be a failed output bearing in the diff.

Sure I read about that on another post...off to search.

I have some possible NS driveshaft issues and the inner joint but hoping it is the inner (tri-lobe) bit of the joint at fault and the diff output is OK.

Jonty
drjonts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2017, 09:03   #3
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

I thought I had this on my car a couple of weeks back, it turned out to be the bottom ball joint on the suspension arm. Jack the car up and get someone to rock the steering side to side gently , while you lie under and check everything . Check the wheel for play side to side, hold and the 9 and 3 clock position and rock from side to,side, any play could be bearing, although you would normally hear a rumbling with this,. Top and bottom play,6 and 12 position could be ball joint . Be aware though that the locating hole on the hub carrier, that holds the ball joint pin,can sometimes elongate,and even after a new arm is fitted, will still show play if it is elongated. Worn driveshaft is pretty rare in these cars, so I was told. Another test is for rear arm bush failure. With both wheels pointing straight ahead and on the ground put your foot against the tread part of the tyre ,and try to push the wheel back,if there is movement, then rear bush needs replacing.
Old 12th March 2017, 10:20   #4
Animesis
Loves to post

That sounds quite close to the problem im having, when i first got the car it had this problem so bad that it would clunk with every small bump and starting off.
Changed over the gearbox for another used one and it was fine for 20,000 miles, now what appears to be the same issue.

Im really hoping its not another gearbox change, i have a spare but its a huge job.

Still hoping on the thinnest bit of luck its something with the driveshaft, but the differential was what my father thought too...

Surely it wouldnt happen twice to the same car in 20,000 miles?
Gearbox change, clutch, subframe refurbish, handbrake mod, drumbrake repair, rear coils, plate PCB repair, sunroof drains refitted, trim leak fix, cruise control fix, cleared EGR/inlet, new strut bearings, USB sockets in rear ashtray, new front brake pipes/hoses, repaired undertray, new o/s rear upper arm, refurbished rear suspension&subframe, fixed back light leak, new exhaust, fitted HID xenons, FBH fix, new thermostat, armrest LEDs, wood dash, new hydromount, natnav, tyres, numberplates
Old 12th March 2017, 10:28   #5
Animesis
Loves to post

If this provides anyone with any ideas do tell me!
The gearbox is weeping oil out where the n/s driveshaft goes in, I put a new seal a few thousand miles ago and the problem has returned, possibly from the driveshaft being loose and causing damage to the seal?
Old 12th March 2017, 10:50   #6
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

could be drop links, anti roll bar bushes, rear lower wishbone bush, CV joint (outer), CV joint inner.

That's the order of likelihood, also cheapest to dearest... I would check and replace stuff in that order...
Old 12th March 2017, 10:58   #7
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesis View Post
If this provides anyone with any ideas do tell me!
The gearbox is weeping oil out where the n/s driveshaft goes in, I put a new seal a few thousand miles ago and the problem has returned, possibly from the driveshaft being loose and causing damage to the seal?
Do as I and Klarzy suggested, check out your suspension arm ball joint. I looked at my half shaft,and when the wheel was rocked side to side, it looked like the shaft was moving in and out,I was convinced it was that, but thankfully most on here doubted me. I double checked after so many nay sayers, and its as well I did, otherwise i could have ordered another half shaft and fitted it, without rectifying the problem. To check drop links get a large tyre lever or pry bar underneath the wheel and try to raise the wheel while looking at the bottom of the link, you will likely need an assistant for this. See if there is movement on the joint where the link joins the anti roll bar. ,the same test should show play in the ball joints .
Old 12th March 2017, 11:03   #8
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Another test for ball joint failure, on a straight road ,with no other traffic around accelerate hard ,i.e. floor it, and look for movement of the car to one side. If the ball joint or rear arm bush are worn, when you floor it, you should notice the car veer to one side, and then back to centre again when you release the throttle.
Old 12th March 2017, 12:14   #9
Animesis
Loves to post

Will do! Any ideas why the new gear box seal should be weeping oil? Using MTF94
Old 12th March 2017, 14:33   #10
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Possibly faulty, or not seated properly, gearbox overfilled.