Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th June 2017, 09:00   #1
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts
Default Still wet :(

So, the plenums are clear, the scuttle clips sealed around, and the car is yet again soaked both front footwells. There is no sunroof, and the only possible area at the rear - a broken light has been replaced and a new seal fitted. (No water in the rear, anyway, but being thorough)

I am now at my wits end. The steering grommet seems secure, and in any case the car hasn't moved, and the water comes from higher up behind the dash.

The plenum grommet looks to be in place, so water shouldn't be getting in the bulkhead there.

I think my only solution left is to reseal or change the screen, and if it isn't that I don't know what to do.

My brother has been rushed in hospital and has a very serious problem, so I could do without this still peeing in!

Any ideas where else it might be getting in?
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2017, 09:18   #2
Animesis
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon 2.0l Diesel Connoisseur

The only thought I've got off hand is regarding the scuttle clips
I know I tried pumping some silicon down into my broken one and it didn't stop the leak at all, did you manage to see if any of the scuttle clip cups were actually broken?
Gearbox change, clutch, subframe refurbish, handbrake mod, drumbrake repair, rear coils, plate PCB repair, sunroof drains refitted, trim leak fix, cruise control fix, cleared EGR/inlet, new strut bearings, USB sockets in rear ashtray, new front brake pipes/hoses, repaired undertray, new o/s rear upper arm, refurbished rear suspension&subframe, fixed back light leak, new exhaust, fitted HID xenons, FBH fix, new thermostat, armrest LEDs, wood dash, new hydromount, natnav, tyres, numberplates
Animesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2017, 09:27   #3
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Such a shame after all your time and effort Dawn. Bless you, you could do with some good luck.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2017, 09:29   #4
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

They all looked intact inside, I did around them, and inside, but the leak is just as bad. The windscreen is marked "RAC" so I am assuming it has been replaced in the past? It's my last thought. There is a chip in it anyway, anyone know what a replacement costs? I haven't had time to look at my insurance details regarding screens yet with all that is going on. Or can a bonded screen been resealed?
Old 4th June 2017, 09:36   #5
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
They all looked intact inside, I did around them, and inside, but the leak is just as bad. The windscreen is marked "RAC" so I am assuming it has been replaced in the past? It's my last thought. There is a chip in it anyway, anyone know what a replacement costs? I haven't had time to look at my insurance details regarding screens yet with all that is going on. Or can a bonded screen been resealed?
The screen can be removed and resealed, It maybe worth a try and contact RAC as they'll have a record of when it was changed and maybe still under warranty?

If you explain the ongoing leak they might be able to help.
Old 10th June 2017, 10:47   #6
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

I booked a new screen, as the old one had damage anyway, and the guy I use is very reasonable. He came out this morning, and my screen broke on removal, so good job I'd ordered new! There were MASSIVE gaps in the sealant both bottom corners, but more driver's side, which was where I got most ingress. I have asked for the scuttle and wipers to be left off, and will also seam seal the scuttle area, as I've been told micro holes in the original sealer can also cause issues. To be fair, the screen that was in had been totally messed up on fitting, though, so it looks like this could be it! Time for another big dry out to find out...
Old 10th June 2017, 11:12   #7
Unomatt
Regular poster

Rover 75 tourer

Hope this sorts it for you! Which area are you talking about sealing? I have the same problem as you but my windscreen is original so unlikely to be the cause.
Unomatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2017, 11:27   #8
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi Dawn,

I have been following your threads & commend you on your attitude & commitment
I hope this new screen is going to be the end of this issue for you. I was going to say you could do with a break, but it could be a bad choice of words!

Good luck,

Rob

MODS DONE;

plenum spyhole, bonnet cable divider block (previous owner), chrome wing mirror covers, gold fan resistor (previous owner), s/s bumper bolts, uprated under tray fittings
silicone intercooler hose, Viton O rings, Crofts door finishers, boot badge, wood dash, Phil-t4's magic wand, wood wheel, mk2 repeaters, HK tweeters & Angel eye projectors.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2017, 19:39   #9
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Good on you Dawn for persevering with all of you're problems with the car. Unfortunately car issues always come up when you have personal problems, it's Murphy's law (not me by the way). I'm glad you've got the stamina to stick with it, I gave up in January but still miss the day to day issues of the Rover.
Take care and remember you are not alone..... Good luck