Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th July 2017, 22:46   #1
Animesis
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon 2.0l Diesel Connoisseur

Default Rear outer edge tyre wear

Got a full new set of tyres and laser alignment about 12,000 miles ago, all are wearing nicely except the rear nearside which I just saw today has worn on the outer edge too the metal within the rubber!
Paid £85 for a 24 hour service new tyre change straight away

But what caused this excessive wear? Previous posts suggest tyre sheer? I may well invest in the Gunson TrakRite if that will sort the problem, but then what do I adjust on the car with it?
Gearbox change, clutch, subframe refurbish, handbrake mod, drumbrake repair, rear coils, plate PCB repair, sunroof drains refitted, trim leak fix, cruise control fix, cleared EGR/inlet, new strut bearings, USB sockets in rear ashtray, new front brake pipes/hoses, repaired undertray, new o/s rear upper arm, refurbished rear suspension&subframe, fixed back light leak, new exhaust, fitted HID xenons, FBH fix, new thermostat, armrest LEDs, wood dash, new hydromount, natnav, tyres, numberplates
Animesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 23:06   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesis View Post
I may well invest in the Gunson TrakRite if that will sort the problem
It will.

Quote:
but then what do I adjust on the car with it?
You slacken the trailing arm bush carrier and move it in/out to adjust the rear wheel toe. At a particular sweet spot, the Trakrite will show zero shear when you slowly drive the wheel over the shear plate. When you're happy, tighten the bush carrier bolts. Note that the bolts may be corroded and uncooperative. Maybe best to anitcipate replacing them. These are NLA as MGR spares. but there are equivalents available. There's one or two threads discussing them. A keyword search should find them, but let us know if you have trouble locating the info.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 12:36   #3
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

Who did your wheel alignment?
I had mine "done" 3 times by a large chain, with a 3 letter name.
Every time the rear nearside wheel would scrub off on the outside edge.
Since then I replaced the front bushes on the trailing arm with polyurethane from a BMW, and had the wheel re-aligned on the Hunter system at tyreshack in Southampton.
since then, the tyre wear has been spot on

I can't say if the chain did not set the alignment correctly, or if it was the front trailing arm bushes that were causing the issue....

However the branch that had a go first time told me the bolts were seized so they could only do the fronts (when I took the car in, I told them I wanted all 4 doing, or none as it was the rear tyre that was wearing strange, not the fronts. So they proceeded to do the fronts only, and left the steering wheel "not straight"), I then undid the (unmarked?) "seized" bolts with a 12 inch breaker bar (so not all that seized, more CBA?). As a result, I now question if they could use their kit, or if they were just rushing the job as it's just an old rover, who cares?

Chris

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.

Last edited by cb750chris; 6th July 2017 at 12:38..
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 20:48   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

The same sort if wear on the rear nearside tyre of my car turned out to be the tyre itself and not the tracking. The replacement tyre after several years use is wearing as it should.----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2017, 10:58   #5
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
The same sort if wear on the rear nearside tyre of my car turned out to be the tyre itself and not the tracking. The replacement tyre after several years use is wearing as it should.----
How did you find out it was the tire Colvert?
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2017, 12:08   #6
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon, manual. Rover 75 Tourer, Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb750chris View Post
Who did your wheel alignment?
I had mine "done" 3 times by a large chain, with a 3 letter name.
Every time the rear nearside wheel would scrub off on the outside edge.
Since then I replaced the front bushes on the trailing arm with polyurethane from a BMW, and had the wheel re-aligned on the Hunter system at tyreshack in Southampton.
since then, the tyre wear has been spot on

I can't say if the chain did not set the alignment correctly, or if it was the front trailing arm bushes that were causing the issue....

However the branch that had a go first time told me the bolts were seized so they could only do the fronts (when I took the car in, I told them I wanted all 4 doing, or none as it was the rear tyre that was wearing strange, not the fronts. So they proceeded to do the fronts only, and left the steering wheel "not straight"), I then undid the (unmarked?) "seized" bolts with a 12 inch breaker bar (so not all that seized, more CBA?). As a result, I now question if they could use their kit, or if they were just rushing the job as it's just an old rover, who cares?

Chris

I find that they can be reluctant to do the rear trailing arm bracket bolts, for fear of them shearing.
Last crowd I went to, only had a 12 sided socket, and almost rounded the 1st bolt (after I showed him where to adjust&#128552.
I ended up taking the bolts out myself, replacing with new, and then getting them adjusted elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 75 Contemporary SE diesel manual (#1)

2003 75T Connoisseur SE diesel auto (For Comfort)
2005 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (Marmite duotone )
2006 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (The last one?)

2009 E220 (For a change)
2018 L200 (For Big & Heavy Things)
1976 W114 250 Manual (For Sundays)
75driver is offline   Reply With Quote