Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22nd June 2018, 16:15   #11
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
Thanks Artic.
These photos are exactly what I needed to see the relationship between the sensor and ring. It's impossible to see this when the assembly is on the car.
Following your advice I will go in carefully with a pipe-cleaner to try to remove any debris, and hope that my poking about yesterday has not damaged the ring.
Reading the manual it appear that one can only replace the bearing if the whole of front hub (and suspension ?) is removed from the car and taken to the bench, an operation I hope I don't have to do.
If you are inclined, slacken off the driveshaft nut, and after drilling out the old sensor use an airline to blow the debris out from the bearing face.

The inner oil seal of the bearing contains magnetic strips which form the "reluctor" for the sensor, and any dislodged rust particles will stick to the surface, and become trapped between the face of the new sensor and the oil seal, which leads to the rapid destruction of the seal.

Much easier than pressing out a knackered bearing and fitting a new one too

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote