Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th June 2019, 16:44   #1
Animesis
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon 2.0l Diesel Connoisseur

Default Diesel wont start but turns over, camshaft sensor woes?

It turns over, previous AA check said something with the camshaft sensor. This had been replaced two years prior and it worked. So we swapped it with one from a breakers yard, again, all worked again for a few weeks, now its gone again, bought a new sensor worked temporarily and stopped again!!

Im starting to think maybe the timing chain really has stretched or something rather than than all the swapped sensors failing. Any other sensors that may stop it starting but allows its to turn over? Or anything at all to point me in the right direction?

But I am a complete loss, the car is in Perth, belongs to Taketsugu who's training at the hangar if matey there sees this post!

Any help would be much appreciated as we are both very attached to the car, but if we cant sort this it will have to go sadly...
It has become too unreliable at this point

Thanks in advance
Gearbox change, clutch, subframe refurbish, handbrake mod, drumbrake repair, rear coils, plate PCB repair, sunroof drains refitted, trim leak fix, cruise control fix, cleared EGR/inlet, new strut bearings, USB sockets in rear ashtray, new front brake pipes/hoses, repaired undertray, new o/s rear upper arm, refurbished rear suspension&subframe, fixed back light leak, new exhaust, fitted HID xenons, FBH fix, new thermostat, armrest LEDs, wood dash, new hydromount, natnav, tyres, numberplates
Animesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2019, 17:56   #2
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

It's not the timing chain.

Poor electrical contact somewhere. Could even be a fault in the wire itself.
Gets moved each time you change the sensor but reverts back to a poor contact after running for a while.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2019, 18:02   #3
Animesis
Loves to post

thats an interesting thought, any ideas where would be a good place to start looking? I was thinking about doing a leakback test next
Gearbox change, clutch, subframe refurbish, handbrake mod, drumbrake repair, rear coils, plate PCB repair, sunroof drains refitted, trim leak fix, cruise control fix, cleared EGR/inlet, new strut bearings, USB sockets in rear ashtray, new front brake pipes/hoses, repaired undertray, new o/s rear upper arm, refurbished rear suspension&subframe, fixed back light leak, new exhaust, fitted HID xenons, FBH fix, new thermostat, armrest LEDs, wood dash, new hydromount, natnav, tyres, numberplates
Old 28th June 2019, 19:14   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
It's not the timing chain.

It wont be the timing chains (there are two by the way )

Why not get it hooked up to a diagnostic - T4 is the best, and see exactly what is causing the lack of starting?

Common starting but running fine once the engine has started problems are, as you mentioned, either camshaft sensor or injector leakback related, and as Colvert said it could be a wiring fault from the sensor to the ECM.

Does the oil pressure low warning light come on as it should with key to position II when it doesn't start?
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2019, 21:46   #5
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Start with the wiring you moved, i.e. those connected to the sensor. If you haven't got access to diagnostics at the moment, check the continuity of the wiring from the plug connection to the sensor.

As the wiring is now a good few years old any flexing chances a break.

Good luck.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2019, 07:52   #6
Animesis
Loves to post

I'll ask about the oil light today! Sadly I'm not with the car so everything will be slightly delayed,, the poor owner is in Perth studying and cannot afford to have it mess him about right now ^^;;

Do we know anyone near Perth Scotland with a T4?
Old 29th June 2019, 07:53   #7
Animesis
Loves to post

Will do! Many thanks

Is there a technique to checking the wiring condition?
Often the battery dies after a several of days no use, so I do wonder if the loom is shafed somewhere
Any known hot spots that may have done?
Old 29th June 2019, 20:36   #8
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Can Kev Bonney not take a look at it?

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2019, 05:46   #9
Animesis
Loves to post

I. Imagine he can and will! My only worry is its looking like a lot of workand don't want to drag him into it
Old 30th June 2019, 08:56   #10
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Well, knowing Kev, he'd be offended if you didn't ask, and I wouldn't worry about what it looks like, I can vouch for having scruffy dirty work hacks too, and Kev didn't bat an eyelid

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote