Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th February 2020, 18:58   #1
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Default Another record?

Reading the current 'is this a record’ thread reminded me of my experience.

Being shown over a brand new car by the dealer’s sales girl (it had to be), she started it up in reverse.....

It jumped back through the showroom window, showering a couple of pre-delivery cars with plate glass, along with the damage to mine.

So bad rear corner damage before the car hit the road!

Fortunately a claim on their insurance, not mine!
Old 25th February 2020, 09:17   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

oh I can recount stories of damage before cars get to the showroom

Rolls Royce or Bentley T bones another car. LandRover goes into one of the uprights on a ship. BMW driven off the quayside and dropping onto railway lines.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2020, 17:41   #3
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Ah, but mine was sold, and registered.....
Old 25th February 2020, 20:42   #4
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Here’s my record.

Back in the 70’s & early 80’s I worked with an Austin Rover Main Dealer where I fitted all ICE systems (in car entertainment) along with all other accessories including cruise control systems.

During my time there I can only recall damaging three cars, two Jaguar XJ’s and a Range Rover

1/. When fitting cruise control to an XJ6 whilst on the car ramp I had to raise it to fit the transducer onto the diff. When I lowered the car the rear door which was open to allow entry for wiring hit a mechanics mobile work table which he had pushed to the side and too close to the XJ
It was my fault of course and there was very minimal damage to the door.

2/ Another XJ6 which was sitting parked up in a line up and unnoticed by me there were (just recently installed) a row of plastic drums filled with cement marking the area. I jumped into the car and drove forward crunching the front balance which required some paintwork. The drums were removed later the same week

3/ After driving a Range Rover into the bay and fitting a cruise control I carried out a static test which involved starting the vehicle up. As the right hand console was hanging down I was sitting sideways so checked it was in neutral then started it up. The Range Rover fired up shot forward three feet then pushed a very large work bench across a corridor then attempted to climb up over it before I managed to switch the engine off.
After recovering from the shock it was found that the gear-lever had pulled over the gear selector when I had put it in neutral so the vehicle was still in 1st gear. This was a brand new vehicle and the mechanics couldn’t understand how this could have happened but even they thought it was in neutral when they went to reverse it back off the bench.
Luckily the only damage was a bent bracket on the Lucas Square 8 lamps I had just fitted. The car BTW was going on the road as a demonstrator and used my the MD
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote