Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd July 2020, 19:58   #11
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1 View Post
The automatic gearboxes in our cars are unique they don't work like normal automatics.
I tend to select 4 so mine doesn't change up to top gear when I'm in and around Town.

As for your questions:
If your car stalled at speed you would have to stop, that's common sense. Although this is highly unlikely.
If you were towing then possibly I would select a lower gear depending on steepness of hill.
I expect it is possible, but why would you want or need to go into neutral while moving.
I use 4 for round town trips, ( as advised on the handbook ), moving the selector up to D if joining dual carriageway, motorway, or onto A roads wishing a higher road speed. Waiting at lights, in a traffic queues, I select N to keep the ATF from reaching high temps. Standing in traffic, in D, and foot on the brake to stop creeping, is not good for the ATF, doing that it gets far too hot.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2020, 20:00   #12
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

If the engine stalls at speed on the auto box, don't go through the gears, you will damage the gearbox, put it in neutral and brake to a halt.

You mustn't tow above 5mph with the auto without the engine running.
Old 2nd July 2020, 21:30   #13
postbasher
Avid contributor

Rover Connoisseur cdt se auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1 View Post
The automatic gearboxes in our cars are unique they don't work like normal automatics.
I tend to select 4 so mine doesn't change up to top gear when I'm in and around Town.

As for your questions:
If your car stalled at speed you would have to stop, that's common sense. Although this is highly unlikely.
If you were towing then possibly I would select a lower gear depending on steepness of hill.
I expect it is possible, but why would you want or need to go into neutral while moving.
yes, thanks no need at all i reckon...but have heard of it happening{selecting N)by accident, ie dog infront seat...so just curious if one can reselect D while moving?
postbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2020, 21:33   #14
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by postbasher View Post
yes, thanks no need at all i reckon...but have heard of it happening{selecting N)by accident, ie dog infront seat...so just curious if one can reselect D while moving?
Yes, if N is selected you can pop the gearstick back into D while moving.
Old 2nd July 2020, 21:33   #15
postbasher
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoroRover View Post
I use 4 for round town trips, ( as advised on the handbook ), moving the selector up to D if joining dual carriageway, motorway, or onto A roads wishing a higher road speed. Waiting at lights, in a traffic queues, I select N to keep the ATF from reaching high temps. Standing in traffic, in D, and foot on the brake to stop creeping, is not good for the ATF, doing that it gets far too hot.
So the lower gears selected would then act as a break then?
Old 2nd July 2020, 21:39   #16
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

If your car is an automatic why would you want to use it like a manual.

The 75 automatic box has its own “braking system” built in.

When approaching a junction or slowing down on a hill lightly press the brake pedal and the transmission will change down giving you better engine braking.

I ran both the diesel and petrol models and found this better with the petrol model.
As for moving the selector to neutral whilst in motion it’s simply not advisable.
There’s no reason why you should require to move to neutral.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2020, 21:39   #17
postbasher
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoroRover View Post
Thanks for that BoroRover....i have the same practice...going into N rather than P saves the driver behind from seeing yr reverse light flash on too eh
Old 2nd July 2020, 21:50   #18
postbasher
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Travelling at, say, 60, a slight tap on the brake will lose about 10mph. Depending on revs (and therefore what gear you are already in), this should be enough for the box to drop 1 gear. And so on down.

You can preselect any driven gear but, with a sharp eye and ear to engine performance, you can pull away in snow and ice in 2/3. Pulling away in 1 will enable you to beat snow etc until on firmer ground. Then shift to D.

You can hold a gear to take advantage of increased rev range over the set ratios by preselecting any of the forward gears and then move up a gear using the lever and letting the box change automatically.

You will probably only need Neutral at traffic lights.

Then of course you have the advantage of the 'S' button. A noticeable change of performance at your service.

It's probably best to slow the car by braking rather than the preselect feature. That is what they are for.

Do not, ever, select Reverse or Park whilst moving in a driven gear.

It's a wonderfully versatile box but expensive if you get it wrong. Find another member near you to show you, then buy him/her lunch.
lunch would be good ....I would be very happy to do that...
Can you tell me more about your experience with using S?
Old 2nd July 2020, 22:02   #19
postbasher
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
You can use it almost like a manual, but why then have an automatic? If you engage ‘2’ the car will only go from ‘1’ into second gear ‘2’. If you engage ‘3’, you will only have 1-2 and third gear. If you engage ‘4’ you will only have 1-2-3 and fourth gear. Get yourself a manual then you can play with the gears until your heart is content. .
So, just to clarify, I am 'curious' about the way the box performs...I have no desire to go back to a manual or to 'play' as you put it...
Old 3rd July 2020, 08:53   #20
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

Interestingly I had a VW Jetta as a hire car in US a few years ago and with cruise control engaged, on downhill stretches the auto box would change down gears and increase engine braking to maintain but not exceed the set speed. Soon as back on the level it would change up again
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote