Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th July 2020, 19:02   #31
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

Walking the cat home a bit, have you checked the throttle body & air filter housing - something similar from years ago on a friend's car was down to this area. My K is a dizzy spark rather than coil packs so the occasional damp starting issue I have is different to yours.

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2020, 06:43   #32
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonwick View Post
Well, bit the bullet and ordered new crank and throttle position sensors. Don't know what else to do if its not that.

Felt very bogged down below 3000rpm driving to work today, not sure if that's me not being used to it or if it's real.

As always, if anyone has any ideas...shout up!
Have you tried swapping out the fuel injectors? I've had one fail on a K Series years ago.

Also if you can get hold of a Colourtune plug try fitting that to each cylinder in turn and see what the mixtures are like.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2020, 21:05   #33
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75

A really nursery school suggestion but I'd consider either a new set of plugs or try one new one, one at a time to rule out a faulty plug.

• Built 08/02/2005 @14:57 hrs: Registered 26/08/2005
• 122nd of 141 built that day
• British Racing Green Pearlescent (HFF)
• Sandstone leather with black piping (SPJ)
• 136,000 miles
goltho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2020, 00:53   #34
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

I've tried different sets of plugs, no difference - so I'm content it's not them.

An interesting idea about the injectors, I've not really considered them as there's been no cylinder-specific codes. Think it's unlikely more than one would fail at once.

I will be splitting the manifold when I get chance, see if there's any clues there. It seems to have a propensity to collect condensation on the outside which I find a bit strange - why the moisture prefers that to the rest of the engine I don't know.
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2020, 06:55   #35
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonwick View Post
I've tried different sets of plugs, no difference - so I'm content it's not them.

An interesting idea about the injectors, I've not really considered them as there's been no cylinder-specific codes. Think it's unlikely more than one would fail at once.
Me too - to be honest it sounds like air getting in the manifold until the engine warms up and seals the gap, but you have checked that out.

As for a Colourtune plug they can be really useful, as you can see inside each cylinder and check whether you are getting a spark, and if so, running rich or lean.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2020, 19:59   #36
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

When you fitted the VVC IM, did you swap the sensors for your old ones or use any that came with it?
You need the old ones.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2020, 23:38   #37
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

All the sensors and injectors are the originals. Caused a big disagreement when the nearest T4 garage insisted that only the higher capacity 135 injectors could be used!

The smell of the exhaust indicates it's running rich, not something I'd expect from an air leak - if anything, I'd expect the opposite, a high idle rather than the low/drowning I'm experiencing. If I crack one of the breather hoses off, it is low on vacuum when it's struggling but it's impossible to tell if this is because of the low engine speed or a leak. It pulls good vacuum at hot idle.
Old 19th July 2020, 17:05   #38
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Split the inlet manifold this afternoon, after the car's been sat on ramps for the past week while I painted the rear subframe.
All looks fine, some oil misting on everything as you'd expect but nothing excessive and no sign of condensation.

I then tried to start it to move off the ramps it turned and turned with no attempt whatsoever to fire up. Oh bu**er.
Pulled the spark plugs and they were soaked as well as quite sooty #4 was possibly slightly better than the rest. Quick spray with brake cleaner and under the soot they looked fine. Let everything dry out before refitting and...still nothing.

It eventually stumbled into life after about 10mins of on-off cranking, but would just die below 3000rpm. Finally after the 3 or 4th restart from it dying, it was just fine (well, I say fine, certainly not running as smooth as it should have been, but able to keep an idle on its own).

Started it twice since then and it's started fine and back to the usual bogging down after a couple of seconds.

Thoroughly stumped now.
Old 22nd July 2020, 22:46   #39
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Sounds as though you have an electrical problem? Have you started it in the dark of night with the cover on the engine off? You might have Blackpool illuminations under your bonnet. Does not cost anything so give it a try. Have a good look around the connections to the plugs. Could be breakages in the wires to the plugs.
Old 23rd July 2020, 18:12   #40
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Although I haven't quite gone for the full dark night approach, I have done similar and found no sign of any problems on the HT side.
I've also been round every plug and sensor I can think of and checked them, again with no apparent problems.

If I had any faith it would solve anything, I'd swap the entire engine loom over to the spare that I bought, but at the moment I can't convince myself its worth the effort.