Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th February 2022, 13:02   #51
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Are we all up for some new VED by telematics where as each individual journey will be logged & charged to your account? The AA are calling for a 3000 mile free allowance before charges kick in, I'll still end up paying nowt as I don't even do that mileage per year if that was the case.
https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/com...losses-say-mps

Some interesting proposals on the table from the transport committee whereas the new VED would be split into three categories with a (road user charge) for all vehicles which would pay for road infrastructure, The (distance charge) would charge for miles driven & the (Time charge) would cover pollution & congestion charge.

One of the proposals regarding the 'Time charge' stood out saying if you drive in congested rush hour traffic on the busy commuter routes & there was a viable public transport service available irrespective of the type of car you drive you would be charged more for those journeys.

“A favourable tax regime, together with a raft of new models and significant growth in the charging network, will play a vital part in accelerating our journey along the road to zero.”

"In evidence submitted to MPs on the Transport Committee, which is conducting an inquiry into road pricing (it has yet to publish its findings), Greener Transport Solutions says that, to coincide with the ban on sales of new petrol and diesel cars, Government should announce that fuel duty and VED will be scrapped from 2030 and replaced by a mandatory road user charge based on distance and time".

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/lat...o-drive-change

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2022, 13:39   #52
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I see no need for abolishing the fuel duty. Also, the mileage charge should be based on the car's initial price and age, so older cars would pay lower charges for the same emissions.
Old 5th February 2022, 16:33   #53
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Blimey! just read about the DVLA writing to people who have converted their ICE cars to electric in the last decade telling them they're reversing the fuel type from electric back to the original fuel type & asking them to back tax & licensing fees There are quite a few companies that have sprung up over recent years doing these conversions.

Old 5th February 2022, 17:09   #54
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

What about the classics that currently dont pay any road fund licence? What ever scheme they bring in unless Classics are still exempt they will be penalised .
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2022, 18:09   #55
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

People who can afford the prices of Classics should be paying double mileage rates.
Old 5th February 2022, 19:12   #56
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
People who can afford the prices of Classics should be paying double mileage rates.
The first cars on this web page show that classic cars are not that expensive to buy. New cars and lot and lots of second hand modern cars are more expensive.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Classic-Cars/29751/bn_1839833

I do not follow your thinking that people that buy cheaper cars can afford to pay double mileages rates compared to people that spend money buying more expensive cars.

you seem to want to make "wealthy" people poor. What have you against well off people?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2022, 19:40   #57
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Blimey! just read about the DVLA writing to people who have converted their ICE cars to electric in the last decade telling them they're reversing the fuel type from electric back to the original fuel type & asking them to back tax & licensing fees There are quite a few companies that have sprung up over recent years doing these conversions.

Just been doing some more digging & from what I can gather it's a year specification thing, Cars Pre 2001 the VED rates were classed on engine size & if converted to electric the DVLA just needed the proof of conversion with receipts to change the fuel type over to electric & £0 taxation class but from 2001 the VED rates were taxed on CO2 emissions for this class of vehicle, This figure cannot be altered on the registration docs for the life of the car. Hence DVLA say even if a car is converted, they will not change the Taxation Class to electric and will continue to demand VED at the current rate for that emissions class - even though it now produces 0% CO2.

Old 5th February 2022, 20:47   #58
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
My Classics were mostly bought as everyday cars originally. They have just grown old with me! However, I would contend that they are still the greenest cars on the planet as most of the carbon footprint is in the build. Anyway, they have already been attacked - they used to be tax free at 25 years.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2022, 20:53   #59
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post

you seem to want to make "wealthy" people poor. What have you against well off people?

macafee2
Absolutely. The reason we have poor people is that the wealthy accumulate far too much wealth. We humans were born to be poor, but not to be so poor that we cannot afford to live. Make the wealthy poorer and we achieve a state of natural equilibrium as god and nature intended.

As for classic cars, they are generally owned as second or third vehicles. This is an example of an unnecessary accumulation of wealth.

I have nothing against wealthy people, other than the recognition that the desire to accumulate wealth is an aberration and a disease that should be eradicated.
Old 7th February 2022, 20:43   #60
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

There are more & more inbuilt data collectors in cars these days in that they already know of fuel consumption in Hybrid cars, The OBFCM (on-board fuel consumption monitoring) has been in new hybrids for 12 months already & can tell real world electric & fuel consumption with the tracking programs that have been fitted to the cars