Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th February 2022, 20:27   #1
Vantheman
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Tyres Goodyear vs Avon

Sorry for another tyre thread.
I'm looking at getting 4 new tyres 215/55x16. ATS is very convenient for me as they share a car park with my work. Blackcircles equally convenient as they use ATS. Halfords not bad as just down the road. Anything else inconvenient.

I've always bought Goodyear tyres. Tyres on the car at the moment are AutoGrip which were on it when I bought it.
I can get 4x Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 for £434 at ATS, with the current £58 off 4 promotion.
Alternatively I can get 4x Avon ZV7 for £303 from Blackcircles, with a discount for being a CSMA member.
I'm inclined to go for Goodyear as I've always had them, I think they might last longer, I've read things about ZV7s cracking and I don't know if this is sorted, and Goodyear are supposedly more efficient although I don't know if this will be evident in the real world.
But they seem to be going up by the minute and are now getting on for half as much again as the Avons.
Wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this?
Thanks
Van
Vantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2022, 20:52   #2
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Have you considered a budget brand I can say I have often used maxis or rapid brand as with my driving they seem as good and last just as long, had pirelli on my range rover the did 9000 miles and literally all 4 just split and fell apart then on went set of Rapid 609 did 12000 Miles still loads left on when sold it
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2022, 21:01   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Maxxis are a good tyre, Ive used them on a few bikes, if they can keep a two wheeler the correct way up at a good lean angle, then they will be fine on a 75.
Old 7th February 2022, 21:15   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Will the Goodyear last 1/3 longer then Avon, if not then the Avon will be cheaper long term based solely on tyre price.
How do the tyres compare to each other for grip and fuel efficiency?
I have Dunlop SP sport on my two cars

macafee2

mcafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2022, 21:21   #5
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

I've had Goodyear Efficient Grips on a couple of 75s and they're very well suited. Quiet too, on a par with Contis.

Friend of mine used to swear by Maxxis on his bikes too, although I was a bit of a name snob and stuck to Bridgestone, even though the foot pegs were never in danger of getting scratched.

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2022, 21:46   #6
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

I have Avon ZV7 tyres on the front of my Conty SE (17"). They're OK but not as good as my previous Dunlops.

They are starting to crack in the depth of the treads which is really disappointing given they are quite new still.
Old 7th February 2022, 21:55   #7
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantheman View Post
Sorry for another tyre thread.
I'm looking at getting 4 new tyres 215/55x16. ATS is very convenient for me as they share a car park with my work. Blackcircles equally convenient as they use ATS. Halfords not bad as just down the road. Anything else inconvenient.

I've always bought Goodyear tyres. Tyres on the car at the moment are AutoGrip which were on it when I bought it.
I can get 4x Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 for £434 at ATS, with the current £58 off 4 promotion.
Alternatively I can get 4x Avon ZV7 for £303 from Blackcircles, with a discount for being a CSMA member.
I'm inclined to go for Goodyear as I've always had them, I think they might last longer, I've read things about ZV7s cracking and I don't know if this is sorted, and Goodyear are supposedly more efficient although I don't know if this will be evident in the real world.
But they seem to be going up by the minute and are now getting on for half as much again as the Avons.
Wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this?
Thanks
Van
Depending on price I go for either Goodyear or Dunlop. I tend to get higher mileage out of the Goodyear. I haven't found Avon to be very good for comfort. I avoid budget tyres for several reasons:

1. The braking distance is usually not as good
2. Ride quality is lower
3. They tend to be noisier
4. Economy is normally rated worse.

Nowadays when you look online every brand has to show the ratings and for my peace of mind braking distance is a priority.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2022, 22:01   #8
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I've had Goodyear Efficient Grips on a couple of 75s and they're very well suited. Quiet too, on a par with Contis.

Friend of mine used to swear by Maxxis on his bikes too, although I was a bit of a name snob and stuck to Bridgestone, even though the foot pegs were never in danger of getting scratched.
I think the Goodyear are excellent in all areas of performance. A soft quiet ride and excellent for fuel economy and braking.
On my Kawasaki GPZ 550, I swore by Maxxis on the front and Bridgestone on the rear. They really kept the handling A1. Not so keen on Bridgestone for cars.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2022, 23:50   #9
Bazzateer

Having been a tyre fitter in a previous life I will always go for Michelin when I can afford to. You won't go far wrong with any of the more well known and established brands like Goodyear, Avon, Dunlop etc. I try to avoid budget brands.
Old 8th February 2022, 08:46   #10
Pistons_and_processors
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

I’ve just changed all 4 corners of mine to a budget Triangle Sportex for less than £300. Couldn’t get anything too expensive as all 4 needed doing and I also have other expenditure for this months MOT.
However surprised so far. Road noise is expected for price and handling has been pretty good also. Only broken traction once on a damp road with a camber change. Time will tell how many miles I’ll get out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk