Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th February 2022, 20:18   #1
simondhopkins
Loves to post

Vauxhall Vectra C

Default Rear ended by a mondeo!

What is it with people driving and looking at their fliping mobile phone!!

Today (16th Feb) I had to stop quick due to some muppet turning down the wrong way of a one way road and a mondeo didn't even attempt to stop.

Too busy looking down than driving then whallop right into the back of me.

Got out and saw their bonnet crushed in, bumper and lights too, seeing this I thought my 75 was the same, looked at the back, just a chrome trim clip out and popped it back in.

Looked underneath at crash bar, no signs of damage!!

This is the second time someones rearended my 75 and twice their front end has been trashed and I drive away smug.

I bet if it was hit at an angle it would of been a very different story for my car, but counting my blessings.

Now waiting for my DMGRS delivery so I can do the 2/4 solenoid and fluid change as well as new discs and pads all round.
simondhopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2022, 20:56   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

lucky man

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2022, 21:30   #3
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

I had exactly the same happen to me 3yrs ago. stopped waiting for quite some time at traffic lights and then bang !! . he was around 30 yrs old driving a white small vauxhall combi van. he went under the rear of my 75 , lifting the rear wheels up off the road. ... i could not move the car forward to get off. after reversing backwards and forward numerous times , against shouts of "no dont do that" , she broke free. i made him produce his adress and phone number and even rang the number to check it.he showed me his drivers license and confirmed his address was correct. when asked if he was " blind" or what ? he said he was looking at his satnav map on his mobile phone for directions !! His headlights were smashed,wings pushed back, bonnet crumpled up to half way, grill smashed and valance pushed right under the front/ plus parts on the floor. the rover had a small crack on one side of the rear bumper, and had lifted out from the firtrees. I drove home no problem. i did not want to go through insurance and two days later he agreed and paid me £400 cash . i already had a spare rear bumper which i fitted. the only other damage was to the plastic mounts under the tail lights (which i replaced) and the exhaust heat screen above the tail pipes needed fettling back into shape. i am convinced if it was another marque ... it would have been down the scrapyard. .. im sure.
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2022, 21:33   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Same with me, a few years ago while driving a tourer, I stopped at a roundabout, the young lad in the new corsa didnt see me and rear ended the 75.

The corsa was virtually written off, bumper in pieces, water and power steering fluid all over the road, no headlights etc.

I clipped the rear bumper back onto the tourer and drove 140 miles home, admittedly, I did need a new bumper as it was a mess, but even the crash beam was undamaged.
Old 16th February 2022, 21:36   #5
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Quote:
Originally Posted by simondhopkins View Post
What is it with people driving and looking at their fliping mobile phone!!

Today (16th Feb) I had to stop quick due to some muppet turning down the wrong way of a one way road and a mondeo didn't even attempt to stop.

Too busy looking down than driving then whallop right into the back of me.

Got out and saw their bonnet crushed in, bumper and lights too, seeing this I thought my 75 was the same, looked at the back, just a chrome trim clip out and popped it back in.

Looked underneath at crash bar, no signs of damage!!

This is the second time someones rearended my 75 and twice their front end has been trashed and I drive away smug.

I bet if it was hit at an angle it would of been a very different story for my car, but counting my blessings.

Now waiting for my DMGRS delivery so I can do the 2/4 solenoid and fluid change as well as new discs and pads all round.
i know it made me sick to the stomach when i got done.i still look in the rear view mirror even now at lights and roundabouts when im stopping. its nearly always someone driving a company car or van or other bag of $hit that they dont care about. i feel for you .
Old 16th February 2022, 21:47   #6
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

trikey. hope you have got the cars covered out of the way. ? you know what happened last time when the storms were about. hopefully you wont get a repeat. heart breaking when this happens... i bet . keep safe ....
Old 17th February 2022, 09:54   #7
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Several years ago while leaving Brent Cross shopping mall, traffic was crawling along. I let an old Vauxhall Astra out in front, then it suddenly stopped and I touched its rear bumper, not a scratch on my 75. The other car was packed with Jehovah Witnesses. When they got out to have a go at me, they were very unpleasant shouting obscenities.

Ultimately, we settled to sort it out privately. I took photos, got addresses and 3 quotes. No liability on my part was mentioned. About 2 weeks later, I visited the the house of the other driver to pay her £250 in cash for a paint job to her rear bumper. Her front door had been kicked in and when she came to the door she was looking bedraggled and rather sad with her wig ill fitting and nightie torn. Never saw or heard from her again.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2022, 11:12   #8
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
trikey. hope you have got the cars covered out of the way. ? you know what happened last time when the storms were about. hopefully you wont get a repeat. heart breaking when this happens... i bet . keep safe ....

Cars out in the open Stefan, I haven’t erected the replacement garage yet as I’m waiting for dry weather to put some concrete down to anchor it to.