Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th April 2022, 22:26   #1
Norman2CV
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon. Pre Production.

Default Advice needed, oil in coolant.

I have recently purchased a lovely 2001 Damson Red 75 with a 1.8 engine. It was owned by a local gentleman who passed away and apparently was his pride and joy. It was likely to end up in the scrap yard so is now in my yard . In the service history is an invoice for head gasket change including head skim and new bolts. That was at 79k miles. It is now on 82K miles. It starts and runs perfectly with no overheating and the fan cuts in and out as it should. But when I topped up the coolant I noticed it is clear water with some oily scum floating on top. I skimmed it off and ran the engine but now there is a bit more oil in the header tank. I am wondering if this could be residual from the previous gasket failure, or if the gasket must be failing again. Is there anything else that can cause this on a 1.8 engine ? I would appreciate any advice, thank you.
Norman2CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2022, 22:52   #2
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

It appears that there is no oat antifreeze in the water. I would think that probably the oil is the residue from not flushing the radiator out after the head gasket was replaced. I would give it a good flush through with water, and then add the correct oat antifreeze.
Old 8th April 2022, 23:00   #3
Norman2CV
Regular poster

Thank you, yes that sounds like it could be the case, I will try that tomorrow.
Old 8th April 2022, 23:04   #4
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

Hope that solves the issue, it looks a lovely example.

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2022, 11:17   #5
Popcorn
Loves to post

55 cdti tourer slush box executive grill

Not sure on head tightening sequence of the 1.8 but if it doesn't have stretch bolts after 3k miles I would look at re torqueing the head bolts, if it does have stretch bolts then ignore last statement
Popcorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2022, 15:22   #6
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
It appears that there is no oat antifreeze in the water. I would think that probably the oil is the residue from not flushing the radiator out after the head gasket was replaced. I would give it a good flush through with water, and then add the correct oat antifreeze.

Sometimes after driving and several flushes with just plain water for a week or two there is still oil in nooks and crannies that will still keep turning up, the only way to remove all of it when plain water flushing has got the majority out is to use a low caustic non foaming detergent flush for cooling systems to remove the remainder, a word of caution though, it mustn't be left in for long, just a half hour or so idling or a short drive, follow the instructions on the tin.

Let it cool, empty then flush with clean water a couple of times, each time get it hot, then fill with antifreeze.

A further word of caution dependant on the care taken with the cooling system through its live and antifreeze used, is that this can displace internal bits of debris and rust scale which up to now were minding their own business, the fun starts when these were blocking a tiny almost rusted through component and cause a leak, which will always be a core plug that you can't get at at the rear of he engine.

I have used a dishwasher tablet or two occasionally, fully dissolved in a litre or so of boiling water then top the system up and run as above, I'm not advocating anyone doing this, just mentioning what I have had to do a couple of times in the past,
Old 9th April 2022, 15:35   #7
Norman2CV
Regular poster

I really appreciate the advice in the sections above and will drain the system as soon as i get some time off work. I am so pleased that i was able to buy the car before it ended up in the scrapyard as once there they are unloaded with a fork lift through the side windows or a grab by the roof .
The car has been kept in a dry garage for most of its life and the underside is one of the cleanest i have seen. I keep telling people they have to be saved as they are not making anymore ! Thank you.
Old 9th April 2022, 16:24   #8
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

I have often cleaned them out by putting degreaser mixed with water in the system and run it for about 30 mins till the fan cuts in and radiator is hot switch off allow to cool then flush out

Last edited by dave lincs; 9th April 2022 at 16:26..
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2022, 14:06   #9
Norman2CV
Regular poster

All flushed out and refilled with the correct OAT. Booked in for MOT on Monday morning so have just fixed the washers by changing the pump after cleaning out the tank and jets. Did a sneaky road test last night on some local roads to get the brakes hot and it drove superbly. Fingers crossed for the MOT ! Many thanks for advice .
Old 23rd April 2022, 16:41   #10
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Good luck Norman hope you get a pass
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote