Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th June 2022, 16:10   #1
75 Rovers

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur auto

Default 2003 75 Diesel Engine Fan sans resistor, failed.

Hi everyone �� new member here, pleased to be with you after 12 years of mostly trouble free ownership. Thing is, engine fan doesn't work, hasn't done for a few years, managed to get by without it. (amazing how the engine runs so cool but no quick heating in the winter, no Aircon in the summer) So with climate change threatening hotter summers and time on my hands I thought I should get the fan working. I have tried to get the latest on this but the threads are all quite old. Can anyone direct me to the latest budget fix please? Not averse to fitting new brushes to mine or a used unit. I've read that the fellow Jules was the expert, don't know if he still is. I've found reference to the Kenlow option now maybe Revotec ? Can a used Land Rover unit be fitted ? Retired and muddled so would appreciate some advice. Thanks.
75 Rovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2022, 18:50   #2
Kaloz

Rover 75 Saloon

I have fitted a Revotec fan earlier this year, purchased from Jules. Comes with fitting instructions and photos, and was a fairly easy repair to do. Can’t think of anything you should be checking before fitting the fan; if there is, then someone on this forum will point it out.
This is an excellent forum for advice and help- and having fitted one fan, I would be happy to give advice if I can.
Kaloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2022, 19:54   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 Rovers View Post
Can anyone direct me to the latest budget fix please? Not averse to fitting new brushes to mine ...
Hello Peter,

If you have a 3 speed motor then fitting new brushes is the most cost effective repair. If you can see a resistor through the radiator grille (2 speed system) and it's silver then replace it with the gold version. In rare cases the diesel's control box PCB fails.

Simon
Old 10th June 2022, 14:25   #4
75 Rovers

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur auto

Default Engine fan replacement hi

Hi Simon, thanks for your comment about using new brushes, how likely is the armature to be undamaged, the fan spins freely at the mo. If that's the case is it likely the PCB ? In that case maybe I should go for a new Revotec ? Also in your experience, how often do 2nd hand fans appear for sale ? My idea would be be to get one, fit new bushes, then swap it over. Any thoughts on that ? Cheers.
75 Rovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2022, 14:38   #5
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Loads of fans on e bay - Revotec here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195063035...QAAOSwb6dZyOdd

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2022, 14:41   #6
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

And i think this is Jules site - price is for fan and fitting service.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202491147...IAAOSwSzpbcq-G

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2022, 15:12   #7
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Peter. There is a fair chance the existing brushes will look like those in the picture below.--The only way to find out is to remove the fan.--Lots of info on the forum how to do it.---( In the--How-To's )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R75 dead fan brushes..jpg (50.5 KB, 27 views)
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2022, 19:54   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
... how likely is the armature to be undamaged ...
The only real way to find out is to open it up and look. There's no point in guessing.
Quote:
If that's the case is it likely the PCB ? In that case maybe I should go for a new Revotec ?
The symptoms of PCB failure are that the fan doesn't turn off so the battery needs to be disconnected to stop it! That's clearly not the case with your car. Edit: Please see information from Mike Noc in post no. 10.
A new Revotec is expensive and requires wiring modifications. You said that you wanted "a budget fix" and that is new brushes on your existing motor or a gold resistor depending upon which type you have.
Quote:
Also in your experience, how often do 2nd hand fans appear for sale ? My idea would be be to get one, fit new bushes, then swap it over. Any thoughts on that ?
You're assuming that your existing system is irreparable but you don't know that! It's better to fix what you've got if that's possible.
  1. Look through the radiator grille at the fan blades housing. Can you see a rectangular silver resistor at about the two o'clock position? Edit: See photo no. 3 in the next post by Arctic.
  2. If yes, you probably need to replace it with a gold version. This is a very cheap repair.
  3. If no you probably have a 3 speed system needing some new motor brushes. You said that you are not averse to this repair job.

So please report back Peter with which fan you have and we'll take it from there.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 11th June 2022 at 07:16..
SD1too is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2022, 23:41   #9
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Peter. There is a fair chance the existing brushes will look like those in the picture below.--The only way to find out is to remove the fan.--Lots of info on the forum how to do it.---( In the--How-To's )
Hi Jon.
That is a very old photo of mine back in 2011, and it was a very bad fan motor had burned out, so you can see from the board.

Most fan motor if caught early the brushes for the low and medium will need changing out, but always best to swap all of them.

As you can se this one was bad also.

This one was serviceable

Peter should check to see if he can see a silver resistor or not, if yes then he needs a gold resistor.

It could sometimes be the PCB

If not maybe some new brushes or contact me

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2022, 06:30   #10
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
The only real way to find out is to open it up and look. There's no point in guessing.

The symptoms of PCB failure are that the fan doesn't turn off so the battery needs to be disconnected to stop it! That's clearly not the case with your car.
That may be one of the symptoms of PCB failure Simon. Another is that the fan fails to run at all - I have experienced that one myself.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote