Notices

Old 15th June 2022, 08:51   #31
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
Been considering a move to Scotland, just their stupid house purchase ways really puts us off.

In fact love the place that much I kidnapped one of her fair maidens some 40 years back.
lol, I did it the other way round 30 years ago
The offers over system is a pain but tbh the system my daughter had to usein Yorkshire seemed a nightmare. Bottom line is I don't want to purchase another house lol
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2022, 08:59   #32
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

There’s no doubt about the first minister’s enthusiasm for so-called independence, that’s what is driving the whole affair. The thought of independence is very attractive to many, especially a patriot.

So, if that and only that is the only factor, I for one cannot see how it in itself fulfils the stirring emotions of those who are leading this upheaval.
Exchanging one dependency for another, and make no mistake the EU will not be anywhere near as benevolent as the UK, is I’m afraid bringing into disrepute the essential and honourable driving force of understandably proud nationalistic fervour.

The first minister is very careful to avoid accusations of racism but it has become increasingly obvious there is more than alleged economics behind her increasingly manic outbursts. The siren has become frenetic.
Old 15th June 2022, 09:00   #33
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
The weapons storage really isn't an issue, they would simply be placed elsewhere, water? a couple of reservoirs more, one in the lake district, one in the peak district puts an end to that argument.....................
The pertinent question would be how to fill the additional reservoirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
You go to a bar, in the bar there is a stunning looking girl that you really want to get to know. At the side of the stunner is her mate, she's a rough old boiler that looks like her make up was done by a graffiti artist, and someone has fly tipped an old mattress in the back of her pants as she got dressed, you buy them both a drink although the old boiler has nothing you want, it's just to make things get along.
Scotland is the old boiler.
You, of Wigan, do realise I hope that many from the south of Watford will have the same view of the north of the M56!

Remember Edwina Curry?

Last edited by MSS; 15th June 2022 at 09:07..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2022, 09:06   #34
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
The pertinent question would be how to fill the additional reservoirs.
And of course what the local population think of it, or are they just to be told what to do. Same with the Trident weapons. How many in England want them in their back yards? I don't that's for sure, they are just up the coast from me
Old 15th June 2022, 09:14   #35
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
And of course what the local population think of it, or are they just to be told what to do. Same with the Trident weapons. How many in England want them in their back yards? I don't that's for sure, they are just up the coast from me

Wigan has lots of space that is not in productive use. I am sure member SAGA LOUT would welcome the warheads with open arms as I would, being a long way away from Wigan!
Old 15th June 2022, 09:17   #36
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Quote:
Wigan has lots of space that is not in productive use. I am sure member SAGA LOUT would welcome the warheads with open arms as I would, being a long way away from Wigan!
Sounds like a plan to me.
Old 15th June 2022, 11:05   #37
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

My understanding of the positioning of the Nuclear Deterrent is because of swift and safe access to deep water. Last thing any nation wants or needs, is that it's weapons systems are neutered even before they've been given a chance to deploy. All of the RN's nuclear boats are based there now, which makes sense.
There is talk of Trident being harboured either in France or the US should Faslane be closed. That maybe would not play well with an independent Scotland being part of NATO. Both French and USN submarine assets have recently visited Faslane. USN ones do on a regular basis, French not so much but think that was more to do with the Ukraine/Russia situation.

What is important is that both sides need to talk about the whole issue. Scottish independence is something that will affect those of us south of the border. There needs to be a rational, intelligent and adult discussion going forward. As said a federal system for our 21st century countries could be a viable and workable solution within which both sides would benefit.

There is nothing to lose in talking, everything to lose if we don't.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2022, 11:14   #38
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Im afraid the arguments could become quite devisive. BoJo will be faced by the sort of arguments he and his brexiteers used to further Brexit, such as 'take back control'. This time BoJo is on the other side of the argument as it were, he'll be saying No, No, No. It won't work.

For this to begin when Brexit is still and open wound, will be hard for all to take. Im not looking forward to it.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2022, 15:42   #39
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Correct.

Quote:
We do have a lot of space that's not in productive use, the reasons being one large area is a country park with listed buildings and the other is a massive nature reserve and SSI with national status.
The flip side would be to offer Wigan council money to take the weapons and they'd put them on display in the council meeting chambers! They are a labour council that waste money on a gigantic scale and can never find enough to waste.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2022, 16:12   #40
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

We have Aldermarston and Burghfield atomic weapons research and manufacture within 10 miles of Reading and no one asked anyone if they wanted them-in fact many in the area were happy to have the employment that came with it I would be sorry to see you go from what has been/is a mutually beneficial union.Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote