Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th June 2022, 20:16   #51
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post

Given there is no small amount of antipathy towards Ms Sturgeon, and only she, the outcome could be Scotland-Stay and The Rest of UK -Leave. Of course that would lead to huge unrest. I can hear it now: Miscount!, Miscount!
I see that as a Win, Win. Sturgeon gets what she wants and the rest of the UK get what they want.
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2022, 20:48   #52
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
That is because certain aspects of government has been devolved to them to manage whilst others such as defence, foreign policy remains with U.K. government. Similar to local councils who have devolved powers from the Governement such as road maintenance.
Which would be fair if we had an English parliament where only English MP’s could vote on things. But don’t all the Scottish MP’s have the chance to vote on everything in parliament? Whether it affects Scotland or not? I’m happy to be corrected if that’s not the case, but I was under the impression the Scottish parliament and welsh assembly had to powers to determine certain within their own countries, but all the MP’s in parliament could vote on everything.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2022, 20:59   #53
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
Which would be fair if we had an English parliament where only English MP’s could vote on things. But don’t all the Scottish MP’s have the chance to vote on everything in parliament? Whether it affects Scotland or not? I’m happy to be corrected if that’s not the case, but I was under the impression the Scottish parliament and welsh assembly had to powers to determine certain within their own countries, but all the MP’s in parliament could vote on everything.
English votes for English laws was done away with in 2021.
This was known as the West Lothian Question

Last edited by another_clean_sheet; 16th June 2022 at 21:02..
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2022, 22:11   #54
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
I see that as a Win, Win. Sturgeon gets what she wants and the rest of the UK get what they want.

Only the rest of the UK may not want them to leave.

I certainly don't.

Not all Scots want to leave.

There appears to be a very vocal minority who do though and at present they are getting all of the attention. Sooner or later the pro-unionist need to stand up and be counted.

For evil to succeed all that is required is for a good man to do nothing.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2022, 07:24   #55
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default That is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
Only the rest of the UK may not want them to leave.

I certainly don't.

Not all Scots want to leave.

There appears to be a very vocal minority who do though and at present they are getting all of the attention. Sooner or later the pro-unionist need to stand up and be counted.

For evil to succeed all that is required is for a good man to do nothing.
My point exactly, when do we hear anything positive from Scotland, all we hear is doom and gloom on any news channel. It's like Scotland exists to be a victim of the union, the only happy Scots seem to be the ones that don't live there anymore.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2022, 07:36   #56
Borg Warner

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
My point exactly, when do we hear anything positive from Scotland, all we hear is doom and gloom on any news channel. It's like Scotland exists to be a victim of the union, the only happy Scots seem to be the ones that don't live there anymore.

When do we ever hear anything positive about anything of late?

It's too hot, too cold, there's no petrol, petrol is too expensive, the supermarket's got nothing, foods gone up, not enough spent on the NHS, we pay too much on tax.

Oh for the good old days of the 70s when all that was wrong was a 3 day working week, power cuts and Love Thy Neighbour on telly.

Of which we only had 3 channels.
Old 17th June 2022, 09:29   #57
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

For Scotland to separate itself from, not only England but the rest of the UK, would be a tragedy for all concerned. There is so much personal reluctance to even think of that happening. I wonder what happened to legendary Scottish foresight and appreciation of the benefits of joint enterprise.

I remember as a very young boy in Liverpool (circa 1948) the annual marches of the Liverpool Scottish Regiment complete with banners, fifes, pipes and drums. I was 5 years old and, having a Scottish family connection, was the mascot marching at the front of the parade.

Alongside the Pipe Major, as he twirled the Mace some 30 feet into the air, never failing to catch it as it returned (never ever let it be said to fall). They had me dressed with every detail so important even to the miniature sporran and kilt, but a Tam’ rather than the bearskin that would have covered me completely.

Those wonderful memories abide and must have happened all over the country. That’s why any, any, referendum just must include the rest of the old alliance.
Old 17th June 2022, 09:35   #58
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
the only happy Scots seem to be the ones that don't live there anymore.
And they seem to be the most Scottish too! There's a bloke at work, the way he bangs on about everything in Scotland being better, proper shortbread, the best whiskey, he goes out for nights out in a kilt, fervently supports a Scottish football team, and 'couldn't care less about the World Cup' once Scotland was out. Yet he lives in the East Midlands, and has done since he was 2! Almost as bad as the Cockney who's never had a birthday in London but talks like he's spent all his life there.

Anyway, it was a close run thing last time, maybe this time some of those who didn't bother to vote at all will come out and let their thoughts be heard.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2022, 09:40   #59
Borg Warner

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
And they seem to be the most Scottish too! There's a bloke at work, the way he bangs on about everything in Scotland being better, proper shortbread, the best whiskey, he goes out for nights out in a kilt, fervently supports a Scottish football team, and 'couldn't care less about the World Cup' once Scotland was out. Yet he lives in the East Midlands, and has done since he was 2! Almost as bad as the Cockney who's never had a birthday in London but talks like he's spent all his life there.

Anyway, it was a close run thing last time, maybe this time some of those who didn't bother to vote at all will come out and let their thoughts be heard.

Point of order

Whisky not Whiskey

Both are vile though
Old 17th June 2022, 09:47   #60
Borg Warner

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
For Scotland to separate itself from, not only England but the rest of the UK, would be a tragedy for all concerned. There is so much personal reluctance to even think of that happening. I wonder what happened to legendary Scottish foresight and appreciation of the benefits of joint enterprise.

I remember as a very young boy in Liverpool (circa 1948) the annual marches of the Liverpool Scottish Regiment complete with banners, fifes, pipes and drums. I was 5 years old and, having a Scottish family connection, was the mascot marching at the front of the parade.

Alongside the Pipe Major, as he twirled the Mace some 30 feet into the air, never failing to catch it as it returned (never ever let it be said to fall). They had me dressed with every detail so important even to the miniature sporran and kilt, but a Tam’ rather than the bearskin that would have covered me completely.

Those wonderful memories abide and must have happened all over the country. That’s why any, any, referendum just must include the rest of the old alliance.

When up with her relatives in Ayrshire my wife, as youngster, recalls waving the Union flags as her uncles marched past in their Orange order regalia.

Asked my MiL once Hoops or Gers I still tremble at the look she gave me bless her.

Must stress, ny mother in law was a most wonderful person and I miss her dearly.