Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd August 2022, 10:53   #11
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyL View Post
... the temp rose to 75-80 and then steam started coming from the bottom area of the radiator directly below the expansion tank ...
Hi James and thanks for reporting back. Your engine can't be overheating at 80˚ so are you sure that it was steam and not oil burning off the LH exhaust manifold or a coolant pipe?

I see that you're going to have another thermostat fitted. What is crucial here is whether or not the garage is following the MGR procedure that you've given them. If they're not, or they are missing out stages, air locks can result as you've said, which play havoc with the cooling system.

Also make sure that, after fitting the replacement thermostat, the serrated clips on the straight pipe are both moved fully outwards as far as they can go. Failure to do this will sooner or later result in a coolant leak into the 'V' and you'll have to pay all over again to correct that.

Simon
Old 2nd August 2022, 11:34   #12
skinnyL
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2003 2.5 V6 Auto Conn Tourer (Scotland) Rover 75 2000 2.0 V6 Conn (Spain)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi James and thanks for reporting back. Your engine can't be overheating at 80˚ so are you sure that it was steam and not oil burning off the LH exhaust manifold or a coolant pipe?

I see that you're going to have another thermostat fitted. What is crucial here is whether or not the garage is following the MGR procedure that you've given them. If they're not, or they are missing out stages, air locks can result as you've said, which play havoc with the cooling system.

Also make sure that, after fitting the replacement thermostat, the serrated clips on the straight pipe are both moved fully outwards as far as they can go. Failure to do this will sooner or later result in a coolant leak into the 'V' and you'll have to pay all over again to correct that.

Simon
Hi Simon,

They have done a pressure test and state that it appears to be the radiator cap, which is on order, but I know it was steam and quite a lot and I felt that it was a coolant pipe or even radiator (which I had replaced 3 years ago) but has only done about 6000-8000 miles.
Upon checking old invoices I advise that the damaged thermostat was replaced 07/10/21 and disintegrated end of June, after an earlier problem of overheating, I had forgotten I had this work carried out 79341 mls and mileage now 80500 approx, as car on SORN during winter. I have had lots of problems and all related to the coolant, it is as though the engine pressurises
and water is not flowing around it as it should, prehaps I should get it transported to Jules in Wales as he seems to be the repairing hands-on expert! Many thanks.
skinnyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2022, 11:34   #13
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Well if you are stuck James please let me know as I can do the whole job in about 1 hour and you will be running again
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2022, 19:38   #14
skinnyL
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2003 2.5 V6 Auto Conn Tourer (Scotland) Rover 75 2000 2.0 V6 Conn (Spain)

Good news everybody. DMGRS sent a replacement thermostat, many thanks Scott/Max, I also asked them to send new gaskets and 'o' rings, temperature sensor and radiator cap. My garage fitted all items yesterday and bled the system as per requirements in the Haynes manual and also T-Cut who supplied the procedure supplied in a reply 24/12 2019.
I picked the car up this morning and it drives like something else, a different car, quicker acceleration, smoother ride, I feel more confident in it already.
The dash temp gauge now sits at a smidgeon above 9.00, the engine temp using the trip counter, i.e. press trip connter till zero's disappear, press trip to count of 19, press trip again when info shows LOW, press trip to count of 7 and there is the engine temperature. Well this started off at 48degC, rose to 84 degC during driving for 20 miles. After returning home left engine running on my drive and engine temp rose to 100 degC, fan cut in and temp dropped to 96 degC.
SO I think my problem appears to be solved insofar as the coolant temp problem is concerned. Also had the starter solenoid replaced and the engine now starts first time, whereas recently it took 4 maybe 6-10 times turning the key before the engine fired up. So all looks good for now,

Many thanks to everyone for the information and messages of support that I have received as I was on the point of scrappage thinking, as my wife just says it is a heap of dohdah, which has been quite costly over these last few years. Anyway I love the car and especially now it is running so smoothly and I now have confidence in going out in it.

Thanks to you all and again to DMGRS for their quick responses.

Jim

Last edited by skinnyL; 4th August 2022 at 19:40..
skinnyL is offline   Reply With Quote