Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st August 2022, 15:55   #1
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Default Instrument panel mix up

Does anyone know if it's a problem if your instrument panel gets mixed up with one from another engine variant?
My diesel ZT is running a panel from a ZT 160 petrol. How do I know? It's written in marker pen on the back! Obviously a previous has switched them for some reason (and yes, I do have the 'err' in the trip meter).
Only realised when I was scouring Ebay for a new one as I thought my airbag light was duff and all the diesel ones had diesel on the fuel gauge and the red line kicking at a lower rpm. If there's no issue, that's saved me a few quid!
Old 1st August 2022, 17:51   #2
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

If the cluster hasn't been coded to the car (which I assume it hasn't as you're getting the err message) then your mileage will be wrong (as the mileage displayed would be the mileage of the car the instrument cluster was removed from + the miles your car has done with that cluster fitted).
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2022, 12:03   #3
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
If the cluster hasn't been coded to the car (which I assume it hasn't as you're getting the err message) then your mileage will be wrong (as the mileage displayed would be the mileage of the car the instrument cluster was removed from + the miles your car has done with that cluster fitted).
Cheers Rick. I just wanted to check if the different rev ranges on the dials would have any effect - in other words, does the petrol engine display have a different calibration compared to the diesel version, so am I over/under revving.

As for the mileage, I could be tooling round in a car that's done considerably more miles than I thought... MOT mileage just about stacks up, so not overly worried about that. One day I will get the 'err' sorted as it is a little annoying.
And the airbag light...a previous had suffed some adhesive foam in the gap above the LED. No issue with the light, so one worry out of the way before MOT time and I don't have to use the dodgy garage round the corner from work anymore!
Old 2nd August 2022, 13:06   #4
BRG75
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer, 9th & 10th Rovers

I don't want to rain on your parade; but masking the airbag light with foam (presumably so that it won't show that it may be illuminated) won't guarantee that your car doesn't fail on that point.

MoT inspectors are supposed to check that certain warning lamps are initially on, before extinguishing themselves, i.e checking that the bulb / led self test is working properly.

Regards

Mike

Previously
2002 75 1.8 auto Club SE,
2000 75 1.8 auto Classic SE (Company Car)
1997 420 (Company Car)
1996 216 cabriolet,
198? 213 VDP
1986 SD1 V8 VDP,
1968 2000TC,
1966 2000.
BRG75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2022, 13:21   #5
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG75 View Post
I don't want to rain on your parade; but masking the airbag light with foam (presumably so that it won't show that it may be illuminated) won't guarantee that your car doesn't fail on that point.

MoT inspectors are supposed to check that certain warning lamps are initially on, before extinguishing themselves, i.e checking that the bulb / led self test is working properly.
The self test does work, but the brolly is always at hand. After all, it's a ZT! It made it through the last two years before I noticed it had never illuminated and that's one reason I'm not using the same garage this year - the same one that passed it on two broken springs and badly corroded upper arms last year.
Old 2nd August 2022, 14:20   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

The LSM will hold the correct mileage, you just need a new or virginised ipk and code ot in and the correct mileage will be displayed and 'err' will be banished to the dustbin!

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk