Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2nd August 2022, 16:16   #11
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

At only 20,000 miles John you've nothing to fear driving to Lates. Your engine is barely run-in! My 18 years old belts were indistinguishable from the new ones when I replaced them (and they'd done 90,000 miles!). Make sure you get the originals back and you'll see what I mean.

Simon
Old 2nd August 2022, 17:17   #12
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
At only 20,000 miles John you've nothing to fear driving to Lates. Your engine is barely run-in! My 18 years old belts were indistinguishable from the new ones when I replaced them (and they'd done 90,000 miles!). Make sure you get the originals back and you'll see what I mean.

Simon
Simon

Yet again you are saying this I cannot understand why when we all know that the interval is 90000 miles or 6 years if the OP drives his car and the belts fail will you foot the repair bill? Personally I would not drive it i would get them done

Also as you are so keen to preach from your Rave disc what does it say about belt change interval on you copy?
If you want to run your car well over the change interval that is your choice but my original copy says 90000 miles or 6 years

Dave

Last edited by dave lincs; 2nd August 2022 at 17:27..
Old 2nd August 2022, 17:40   #13
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:

Simon
My understanding with belts is that the manufacturer guarantee's them for 10 years from made date to include shelf life. This has nothing to do with the rover service shedule of 6 years or 90,000 miles. And hence if you fitted a manufacturered 7 year old belt you would only run it 3 years on the car
While you may have got away with it on your car others may not be as lucky as there is no guarantee and it is reckless to advise others when you have no liability as a snapped belt will likely make the car an uneconomical write off
Old 2nd August 2022, 18:28   #14
Snetty
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Thumbs down

Quote:

Simon
Reckless advice, that should not be taken.
Old 2nd August 2022, 19:00   #15
shiner
Regional Secretary London South & West

Quote:

Simon
Please enlighten us as to how many cambelts you have actually had the experience of replacing. Would you like to see pictures of a failed kv6 on 27k miles and 14yrs, or is that irrelevant as I work in the motor trade and can't be trusted.

As soon as you start reading your copy of rave and stop reinventing parts of it to suit your own half baked opinions, the more sensible your posts may become.

Some if advise is sound, some not so, and some downright incorrect /dangerous. Please use common sense with your post as people assume that you know what your talking about

Sent from my CPH2371 using Tapatalk

Andy
T4.KV6 belt special tools
[2002 MG ZT 2.5 177 manual Starlight silver
2004 MG ZT-T 1.8T 160 manual green
Old 2nd August 2022, 19:08   #16
maxi_crawf
Posted a thing or two

R75 Saloon Conn CDT SE, MG ZT190+

The trouble with playing Russian roulette is keep pulling the trigger and eventually you will blow your brains out, telling someone else to keep doing it is frankly a very silly thing to do, whatever risks you are prepared to take with your own car is up to you, encouraging others to do the same is daft.
The captain of the titanic only took a chance once.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Old 2nd August 2022, 19:39   #17
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonty View Post
thanks for that,it's just up the road from me,only 4 miles.i went there with my rover 820i a couple of years ago,and they said they stopped working on anything other than landrover,but it's worth trying them again.thanks
I have spoken to the owner of this garage when Trackers car was in for repairs, he is a very knowledgeable guy and pleasant to deal with as well, he wouldn't have any issue doing KV6 stuff at all.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 2nd August 2022, 19:50   #18
Norfolk Ninja
Avid contributor

Landrover Freelander 1

Quote:

Simon
Simon, I feel I must object to your reckless advice based on armchair theory. You ignore or dismiss the "real life" experience of many highly regarded members of this forum. I asked Trikey to renew my belts even though they had only covered a few thousand miles because they were over ten years old. The old removed belts were cracked on the teeth. I also find objectionable your references to "we" and "us" as if you are the leader of a small exclusive clique within the club.
Kind regards Graham
Old 2nd August 2022, 20:44   #19
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

The club cannot condone nor endorse the practice of running a V6 engine beyond the MG Rover quoted service life of 90,000 miles or 6 years (whichever comes first) for replacing cam belts and associated idlers and pulleys.

I’m sorry Simon, but I must ask you to refrain from recommending people don’t replace or renew at the appropriate intervals. This is a subject that many feel strongly about and take objection to. While in your case your belts appeared to show no signs of fatigue, neither you nor we as a club can guarentee all other engines will be the same, and we simply can’t afford to be held responsible for any negative outcome.

The stated dealer service interval for renewal of 90,000 miles or 6 years stands.

Thread now closed as OP has found the recommendations for mechanics he was enquiring about.
Closed Thread