Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd August 2022, 22:41   #1
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Default Alternator & power steering pump replacement

As usual I've a couple issues to sort.

I think need a replacement alternator as the current (no pun) one is producing over 15 volts and causing flickering of the lights.

What is the correct part number for the 2.0 CDTi alternator?

Rimmers state YLE000261 is correct for the cars https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001612

Can anyone confirm the part on please or recommend a supplier?

When I phoned my local alternator shop for a quote, £125 plus return of the old alternator, I was told that it is also a Freelander part and it produces 120A. However I've heard folks have had to grind bits of casing off to make them fit, I'd rather not have all that hassle.

I also need to replace the power steering pump which is getting whiny and noisy when on full lock, and will do both jobs together to make the alternator job easier, as I believe it can be done fairly well from above when the power steering parts are out of the way.

Exeter Road garage have provided a very good service and have reconditioned my spare pump which I replaced a few years ago because it leaked. I posted it on Monday evening by Royal Mail and 24 hours later it was ready. I'm collecting it Monday, though I could have had it posted back. I'm expecting to pay about £60. Recommended if you need one compared to Rimmers £300

Incidentally I changed my Zafira alternator yesterday and it was a doddle, plenty of room to get a 15mm socket on the adjuster pulley and an easy to find locking pin hole. The only issue was moving the fuel filter cage to one side to get the alternator out, and only £40 for a virtually new one from the breakers.

Last edited by Andy_with_a_screwdriver; 3rd August 2022 at 22:45..
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2022, 00:26   #2
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

The 2-pin OEM alternator was a 120A Valeo manufactured unit and had the MGR part number YLE000260. These days YLE000261 is the official MGR replacement which I believe is a Chinese manufactured unit.

The 2-pin unit will replace the original MGR 3-pin Valeo unit which had a lower output.

So either YLE000260 or YLE000261 is the part number you want.
Old 4th August 2022, 07:36   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I've never heard of having to grind the casing away?

As Maninder says the two pin and three pin alternators both fit but have different ratings.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 4th August 2022, 12:21   #4
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I've never heard of having to grind the casing away?

As Maninder says the two pin and three pin alternators both fit but have different ratings.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Thanks.
I read on here somewhere that someone received a freelander version which wouldn't fit???

I'll remove the old part and take it in my local shop, can't be bothered messing around for a tenner saved online somewhere.
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote