Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th August 2022, 10:10   #1
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts
Default 20 mph speed limits.

Most urban areas throughout the country have 20 mph speed limits but Surrey county council want to go one step further & introduce 20 mph & 30 mph speed limits on roads that were previously 60 mph speed limits. https://www.localgov.co.uk/UK-first-...ph-roads/54651

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2022, 11:37   #2
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

The County Council raising this uses phrases such as ‘single carriageway on
rural roads’.

Do they mean two-lane traffic in two opposing lanes, or a single lane road carrying two-way traffic with occasional passing points? Or just bendy bits?

There other country routes that defy description as well.
Old 10th August 2022, 13:05   #3
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Most urban areas throughout the country have 20 mph speed limits but Surrey county council want to go one step further & introduce 20 mph & 30 mph speed limits on roads that were previously 60 mph speed limits. https://www.localgov.co.uk/UK-first-...ph-roads/54651

Having driven on some Surrey roads during the night last week, I suspect this is a case of the council being caring for their citizens so that drivers do not suffer unacceptable discomfort from wheels hitting deep potholes at speed.
Old 10th August 2022, 15:44   #4
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

From what I can gather it's to do with the recent Highway Code hierarchy changes whereas priority lies with walkers, cyclist & horse riders before motorist.

If the car driver falls any further down the pecking order they will be lower than a snakes belly in a wagon rut before much longer

Old 10th August 2022, 15:47   #5
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

These people will have us back to the horse and cart if they're allowed to.
Next thing they'll be complaining about the traffic jams on the motorways in their county. (even more... I know it can be pretty bad down south there already). How are these idiots being allowed to make these decisions?

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2022, 16:37   #6
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Without wishing to stray into areas that might provoke challenges about personalities in various council categories, I would really like to see the demographics of every council published in order to assess their spread of representation across their field of influence. Oh, and their knowledge and expertise.
Old 10th August 2022, 16:54   #7
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

A lot of these things are government mandated to reduce emissions & decarbonise the transport infrastructure towards Net Zero.

https://local.gov.uk/delivering-local-net-zero
  • Enabling switches to public transport away from cars would result in around 62.4 billion vehicle kilometres less being driven in England in 2030 and around 173.1 billion vehicle kilometres less being driven in 2050.
  • These vehicle km being switched to public transport would save an estimated 2.5 MtCO₂e in 2030

Old 10th August 2022, 21:32   #8
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
A lot of these things are government mandated to reduce emissions & decarbonise the transport infrastructure towards Net Zero.

https://local.gov.uk/delivering-local-net-zero
  • Enabling switches to public transport away from cars would result in around 62.4 billion vehicle kilometres less being driven in England in 2030 and around 173.1 billion vehicle kilometres less being driven in 2050.
  • These vehicle km being switched to public transport would save an estimated 2.5 MtCO₂e in 2030
And that is great, but the bus company round here has recently announced they will be stopping all services to where I live, so public transport is not an option for the 1000 homes here. Not to mention that when it was running, a trip into town on the bus for 5 of us was £10. Around 3 times more than it was to drive there and pay for parking.

My Dad applied for and was declined a parking pass for where he works in Bristol, he's always got one before. He's 65, and they reckon that because it's only an 8 mile journey, and would only take him 3 busses, he doesn't need to drive to work. Ignoring the fact that he would have to get up no later than 04:30 for him to get there for a 07:00 start, and after his 15:00 finish, he wouldn't be home until around 17:00.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2022, 07:30   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Busses in towns and cities fine.
Busses in rural areas do not cover al the villages and the time tables
can make a trip out an "all day" event.
It is 8.27am now, the next bus from the town north on me to the village just down the road is 10.05am I think. Checked and double checked a web site.

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 11th August 2022 at 07:33..
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2022, 07:45   #10
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
And that is great, but the bus company round here has recently announced they will be stopping all services to where I live, so public transport is not an option for the 1000 homes here. Not to mention that when it was running, a trip into town on the bus for 5 of us was £10. Around 3 times more than it was to drive there and pay for parking.

My Dad applied for and was declined a parking pass for where he works in Bristol, he's always got one before. He's 65, and they reckon that because it's only an 8 mile journey, and would only take him 3 busses, he doesn't need to drive to work. Ignoring the fact that he would have to get up no later than 04:30 for him to get there for a 07:00 start, and after his 15:00 finish, he wouldn't be home until around 17:00.

I can see this being a real bone of contention in the not too distant future when the new three part road pricing "car tax" system comes into play, Vehicle type, Mileage covered, Congestion/time of journey. The proposal for the Congestion part of the road pricing said if there is a viable public transport service available for your commute/journey & you didn't use it the price via telematics in the car/street furniture would be recorded & would cost considerably more for that journey.