Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th May 2017, 19:16   #1
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts
Default Mystery water, please advise...!

So, I knew the 1.8 was soaked at the front when I got it, but as the plenums had water in, I assumed that was where it had come from. I've been trying to dry it at least a bit until I could sort another carpet, but tonight I noticed it was soaking wet again, and I mean soaking. Where else can clear water come from on a none sunroof model? It's dryer in the back than front by a long shot, and the boot isn't wet, so am assuming the leak is at the front. Driver's side worse than passenger but both wet. I *thought* I saw some water run from under the boot release button, but as it was raining hard as I got in at the time, I can't be sure.

Any ideas? Really desperate to figure this one, it really can't get any wetter and I will be blowing the side sensors
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2017, 19:20   #2
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
So, I knew the 1.8 was soaked at the front when I got it, but as the plenums had water in, I assumed that was where it had come from. I've been trying to dry it at least a bit until I could sort another carpet, but tonight I noticed it was soaking wet again, and I mean soaking. Where else can clear water come from on a none sunroof model? It's dryer in the back than front by a long shot, and the boot isn't wet, so am assuming the leak is at the front. Driver's side worse than passenger but both wet. I *thought* I saw some water run from under the boot release button, but as it was raining hard as I got in at the time, I can't be sure.

Any ideas? Really desperate to figure this one, it really can't get any wetter and I will be blowing the side sensors
Is the off side drain tube in place, if not just a long shot there is a recess between the bulkhead and interior, could waterbe getting in that way, If I am wrong you experts please correct me.

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2017, 19:35   #3
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

Well, the rubber bit that extends out under the car is there, you can actually see it from under the bonnet on the 1.8, and I had the unpleasant job of unblocking it when I got the car. I am convinced the water is leaking in and through the boot and bonnet switches if this is any help?! I was thinking maybe the scuttle clip retainers, but if its those, how do I seal them without blocking th hole the clip sits in? What should I use?

I am very worried, the car is just oozing water I thought the V6 sunroof leak was bad, but this is ridiculous bad.
Old 17th May 2017, 20:03   #4
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Try the white clips around the base of the windscreen http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...read.php?t=411
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2017, 20:15   #5
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, called Perseverance

I have a suggestion. Others may shoot me down for my idea:

Buy some coloured food dyes. Mix with water, and pour one colour around one rear light cluster, another colour around the other rear light cluster, another colour around the boot hinges, another colour in the plenum, another colour on the sunroof, all the usual suspects etc.

Then wait to see what colour the carpet changes.

Once the fault area is identified, sort the problem, dry the car thouroughly with a dehumidifier, and use Dr Beckmans Carpet cleaner to clean the carpets (this is highly recommended to clean the carpets back to new condition (it is amazing on oil stains et al)).

You may want to try the carpet cleaner on the dye first.

I identified a leak from a bathroom into a downstairs ceiling by this method.

Last edited by MarkS; 17th May 2017 at 20:29..
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2017, 20:23   #6
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

Its not from the rear, or it wouldn't be coming thru the bonnet and boot releases. And I don't have a sunroof.

Suzublu, ate they the scuttle clip retainers? They look like them. I am sure I read somewhere they crack, but how can I seal inside without it sticking the clips as well? It has to be those or the screen, surely?
Old 17th May 2017, 21:10   #7
Animesis
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon 2.0l Diesel Connoisseur

I had a cracked one, it was incredible the amount of water that was wicking into the front, driving in the rain i got a long drizzle of water pour over my foot!
They are very cheap, carefully remove any broken ones and simply put a new one in, problem solved! To test/look for broken scuttle clip cups, remove scuttle clip then gently pour some water down the hole and see if its coming in
Or peer into the scuttle clip hole with a torch if you are tall enough and you Might see any damage to them

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru....php?p=2428583

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-EYC101450 and the part if thats the issue
Gearbox change, clutch, subframe refurbish, handbrake mod, drumbrake repair, rear coils, plate PCB repair, sunroof drains refitted, trim leak fix, cruise control fix, cleared EGR/inlet, new strut bearings, USB sockets in rear ashtray, new front brake pipes/hoses, repaired undertray, new o/s rear upper arm, refurbished rear suspension&subframe, fixed back light leak, new exhaust, fitted HID xenons, FBH fix, new thermostat, armrest LEDs, wood dash, new hydromount, natnav, tyres, numberplates
Animesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2017, 21:39   #8
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesis View Post
I had a cracked one, it was incredible the amount of water that was wicking into the front, driving in the rain i got a long drizzle of water pour over my foot!
They are very cheap, carefully remove any broken ones and simply put a new one in, problem solved! To test/look for broken scuttle clip cups, remove scuttle clip then gently pour some water down the hole and see if its coming in
Or peer into the scuttle clip hole with a torch if you are tall enough and you Might see any damage to them

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru....php?p=2428583

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-EYC101450 and the part if thats the issue
Thank you! I didn't know new ones were still available! I might replace them all at that price. Do they just pop out with a flat screwdriver? Anything is worth a try, its so wet!
Old 19th May 2017, 06:36   #9
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, called Perseverance

Pour neat food dye around the windscreen, another colour on the scuttle clips, another colour in the plenum and all the usual suspects. You have your suspicions where the problem lies. Use this method to confirm which it is. You NEED to identify WHERE the leak (or leaks) is coming from first.

ONCE the leak is found, if it is not the scuttle clips, Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure is far far better than Silicone, as it follows the water into the car and seals up any leaks it follows.

Good luck.

Last edited by MarkS; 19th May 2017 at 06:50..
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote