Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th November 2021, 22:10   #1
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts
Default Electric cars

We have a mobile chiropodist visit us every 6 weeks or so, and he told us yesterday that he had bought an electric car. He brought the subject up of miles per charge. I do not know what car it is, not really interested, but it is a smaller model he said. Now I have always said that when we get a really long cold winter, the roads will be blocked by electric cars with no ‘go’, empty of charge. He said that when he checked the mileage on the dial in the car when he came out, it said there were 95 miles showing. He said he had just pulled up at our abode, and there was only 45 miles left. He had only travelled about 20 miles, and thought there was something wrong with it, the car. I asked if he had been using the heater, it was only 1.2 centigrade, and he had, also the lovely heated seats and rear window demister. As I said, wait for a long cold winter. He said it is supposed to do around 200 odd miles on a full charge. Yes ok.
Old 26th November 2021, 22:19   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

It may do 200 miles on a full charge but everything that is turned on will use electric thus reducing the distance that can be covered.

I bet a number of electric car drivers will forget/not realise that

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2021, 22:54   #3
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

The only thing to affect the range is the cabin heater, lights, wiper, heated seats etc etc won’t as they aren’t powered by the high voltage battery. The obvious thing to do in winter is to pre heat the car whilst it’s charging thus not affecting the range once charged. The range will drop in winter and rise in summer but that’s just physics...

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle

Last edited by sworks; 26th November 2021 at 22:56.. Reason: Spelling
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2021, 22:54   #4
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
It may do 200 miles on a full charge but everything that is turned on will use electric thus reducing the distance that can be covered.

I bet a number of electric car drivers will forget/not realise that

macafee2
Not true

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
Old 27th November 2021, 03:27   #5
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

It is true that EV range drops in the winter however most newer EV's still have ample range for most commutes even in the depths of winter. We do around 60 miles a day in our ZS and even in the depths of winter we'll still get back with over 50% of the battery left. Yes EV's may run out of power however the last time I forgot to put petrol in my car it didn't fare too well either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
The only thing to affect the range is the cabin heater, lights, wiper, heated seats etc etc won’t as they aren’t powered by the high voltage battery
Not strictly true as the 12v battery is charged from the high voltage battery via a DC to DC convertor so a high 12v drain will have some impact on the traction battery however not very much.
Old 27th November 2021, 07:38   #6
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

We bought our MG ZSEV in December last year. During the winter the range does drop, instead of showing 160 miles on a full charge it shows 145 ( in the summer that increaito 170).
Driving with the heater and fans on takes off around 10-15 miles on the range.
In real terms it means that we need to charge our car after Mrs Simondi has made two trips to work instead of three. Cost wise this is around £2.90 a charge. Compared to her petrol costs of around £10 for the two journeys.
She loves her MG and would happily buy another one
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2021, 08:04   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
... the 12v battery is charged from the high voltage battery via a DC to DC convertor ...
Thanks for this James; very interesting. Do you, or sworks (Mark), happen to know the voltage of the high voltage battery? I'm just curious.

Simon
Old 27th November 2021, 08:08   #8
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Thanks for this James; very interesting. Do you, or sworks (Mark), happen to know the voltage of the high voltage battery? I'm just curious.

Simon
Our ZS shows 456 Volts on the display, I believe this will change slightly when the next update is applied
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2021, 09:11   #9
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post

Not strictly true as the 12v battery is charged from the high voltage battery via a DC to DC convertor so a high 12v drain will have some impact on the traction battery however not very much.
Small enough to be difficult to measure in terms of range use

Old 27th November 2021, 09:18   #10
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post

Simon
It can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer but 360 to 400 seem to be the ball park figure. However, as Simon says the MG ZS is around 450 and the newly launched IONIQ5 is 800. With the correct dc charger you can go from almost empty to around 80% charged in around 18 minutes.