Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th April 2022, 21:02   #1
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Default Which drive technique uses the most fuel.

I've always coasted down long hills when safe to do so, but I noticed that when I coast down a hill in my 2005 Astra I get 130mpg on the instant consumption, but 999mpg if left in fifth gear on engine braking. Presumably the ECU is cutting off fuel under certain conditions to reduce fuel consumption? Do any of the 75/ZT models do this?
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2022, 21:48   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Never coast, the driving wheels should be engaged with the engine, safety!
I engine brake. I think you are right, the ecu cuts off fuel but does it only cut it down to the amount used at tick over?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2022, 22:37   #3
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Yep never coast, always leave it in gear as the ECU will shut off the fuel supply whereas when coasting it's still using fuel to keep the engine spinning.
Old 4th April 2022, 23:02   #4
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
I've always coasted down long hills when safe to do so, but I noticed that when I coast down a hill in my 2005 Astra I get 130mpg on the instant consumption, but 999mpg if left in fifth gear on engine braking. Presumably the ECU is cutting off fuel under certain conditions to reduce fuel consumption? Do any of the 75/ZT models do this?

When coasting the engine is basically idling and using fuel. On the overrrun the fuel is reduced to the absolute minimum as it is the wheels turning the engine.
Old 5th April 2022, 06:17   #5
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

If you are learning to drive they dont teach you to use the engine as a brake. They say the brakes are alot better than years ago so no need. You often hear "brake pads are cheaper than gearboxes" and you can be penalised for unnecessary gear changes. My daughter is learning to drive and she has been taught to dip the clutch just before the car comes to a standstill and put it in first gear if she comes to a stop or needs to pull away again!
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2022, 06:35   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
If you are learning to drive they dont teach you to use the engine as a brake. They say the brakes are alot better than years ago so no need. You often hear "brake pads are cheaper than gearboxes" and you can be penalised for unnecessary gear changes. My daughter is learning to drive and she has been taught to dip the clutch just before the car comes to a standstill and put it in first gear if she comes to a stop or needs to pull away again!
I have heard this reason before but it just makes me ask, when was the last time a gearbox was changed due to engine breaking? We have signs that tell use to use a low gear for descending hills. Your daughter may also be taught to park on the wrong side of the road, something I consider stupid and dangerous. anyway, good luck to he.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2022, 06:40   #7
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Think I saw this on Top Gear, when going downhill in gear with no gas the wheels are driving the engine through the gearbox, so that suggests a fuel saving.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2022, 07:34   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
Presumably the ECU is cutting off fuel under certain conditions to reduce fuel consumption? Do any of the 75/ZT models do this?
Your KV6 does Martin. Here's a quote from RAVE:

"The TP [Throttle Position] sensor also enables the ECM to provide over-run fuel cut off strategy. When the ECM receives a closed throttle signal from the TP sensor in conjunction with a vehicle speed signal which indicates the vehicle is moving, the ECM will inhibit injector operation. Fuelling is reinstated in a controlled manner when either of these parameters change to prevent [the] engine stall[ing]."

Simon
Old 5th April 2022, 07:50   #9
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
What learner drivers are taught nowadays is to "Block Change" where you brake to slow down and then go directly to the gear you then need say 4th straight to 2nd or 5th to 3rd dependant on what you are doing next. Engine braking is now frowned upon.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2022, 08:03   #10
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I have heard this reason before but it just makes me ask, when was the last time a gearbox was changed due to engine breaking? We have signs that tell use to use a low gear for descending hills. Your daughter may also be taught to park on the wrong side of the road, something I consider stupid and dangerous. anyway, good luck to he.

macafee2
As an Ex Driving Instructor learner drivers were Never taught to park on the "Wrong" side of the road.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote