Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th June 2022, 20:28   #1
Matt
Regular poster

Rover 75 2.0 auto Connoisseur se

Default Looking for help in Southwest for second opinion

Hello All, My local garage has declared that my Rover 75 2.0v6 head gasket has gone, the only symptoms so far are very thick gunky water in the reservoir. They quoted me £2600 to complete the job. Obviously i drove away!
Unfortunately i have no clue with mechanics although have loved my Rover for the past 11 years, its now done 180,000 miles and i am in no hurry to get rid of it.
Until last year i lived in Buckinghamshire and a few years ago used to take my car to Phil for any work.
Does anyone know of someone in the Wilts / Glos / Somerset area that would be able to give me a second opinion, i don't believe it is in a general garages interests to be bothered if the car was scrapped or not but a enthusiast is obviously a different story.
I really need to know for sure if the gasket has gone and if so how much it could be repaired for or if indeed it is something else entirely.
Any help from roughly my area would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2022, 21:09   #2
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Its much more likely to be the oil cooler. Have a read at this thread https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=308982.

There is the T4 map on my signature below but hopefully someone in your neck of the woods can point you towards a garage/mechanic who knows what they are doing.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2022, 21:34   #3
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Give Russell Walsh on a shout on www.mgroversolutions.com
He is fully mobile and based in Kent.

Or

try Mike Stafford. MJSAUTOANDMARINE.CO.UK
He is fully mobile as well. Based in Sussex.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2022, 22:47   #4
Tenesmus
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Try http://www.mjnmotors.com
2005 Connoisseur 2.5 auto SE Tourer in BRG with Sandstone Beige and Black piping interior (the 2nd of only 7 Rover 75s produced 5th November 2004, and it’s the 244th of 303 facelift British Racing Green 75 tourers built worldwide). All I've done is add Rover walnut gear knob and handbrake...

2016 Vauxhall Viva SL (Father Jack) "assisted manual" (auto) in purple. Going rusty underneath already...

Tenesmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2022, 14:14   #5
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 + and MKIV Supra

It does sound like the cooler which is common. Loads of V6s mis diagnosed over the years. Garages with no interest just relate all Rovers with the 1.8 engine and suggest head gasket. 1.8 is a brilliant engine when fettled by the way (ask Lotus)

Did the garage do a gas analysis of the coolant?

These are in Devon but know R75/Zts inside put and advertise on here

//https://exeterroadgarage.co.uk/

Living the dream

MK IV VVTI Tiptronic TT Toyota Supra
MG ZT 190+
BornTuesday, 10th July 2001 @ 09:01:10
259th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
252nd ZT 190 + to be made out of 4,023
101st ZT in Solar Red (code: CEU) to be made out of 1,888
jonc3725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2022, 20:34   #6
Matt
Regular poster

Thanks to all for your replies.
Couple of questions, if it was the oil cooler is that an easier and cheaper job than the head gasket? It does seem possibly that after looking at the thread but if it was the gasket at worse case scenario what sort of cost should i be looking at?
I don't believe the garage did anything apart from look into the expansion tank, that's what they said anyway!
Unless i get any more suggestions think i will contact mjnmotors as first port of call due to how near they are to me (approx 20 miles). Tenesmus as you suggested them have you used them or anyone else done so?
Really just need this second opinion and hopefully get the car sorted, am driving short distances but don't want to cause damage without knowing what is wrong.
Thanks.
Old 9th June 2022, 07:18   #7
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Thanks to all for your replies.
Couple of questions, if it was the oil cooler is that an easier and cheaper job than the head gasket? It does seem possibly that after looking at the thread but if it was the gasket at worse case scenario what sort of cost should i be looking at?
I don't believe the garage did anything apart from look into the expansion tank, that's what they said anyway!
Unless i get any more suggestions think i will contact mjnmotors as first port of call due to how near they are to me (approx 20 miles). Tenesmus as you suggested them have you used them or anyone else done so?
Really just need this second opinion and hopefully get the car sorted, am driving short distances but don't want to cause damage without knowing what is wrong.
Thanks.
My Dad has used MJN for around 5 years now, since his previous mechanic retired. He's always been happy with them, they've fixed an existing part if possible, replaced it if not.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2022, 08:57   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
... if it was the oil cooler is that an easier and cheaper job than the head gasket?
Yes with one complication. Your year 2000 car (like mine) will have the original design (no. 10 here) which is no longer available. The pipe and hoses would need to be adapted to fit the later type (no. 13).
Quote:
... if it was the gasket at worse case scenario what sort of cost should i be looking at?
A lot because the front cambelt will have to come off but don't worry because ...
Quote:
The KV6 head gaskets are MLS (not the type which gives trouble on the 1.8) and extremely robust. We hear of other cooling system faults causing excessively high temperature with the gauge red light illuminated but the head gaskets don't fail.

Get your oil cooler tested and/or temporarily by-passed for a proper diagnosis Matt.

Simon
Old 9th June 2022, 19:55   #9
Matt
Regular poster

Thanks for all your advice, i know a second opinion is the answer and hopefully it sounds like it wont be the head gasket, fingers crossed. Will give the garage in Bristol a ring and the mobile guys also and get something sorted. The car is no where near finished yet, i have to get it to 200,000 miles yet
Old 9th June 2022, 23:17   #10
Tenesmus
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Before I moved away from Bristol I used MJN to do the handbrake compensator and change the autobox oil (he showed me a bucket of sludge he'd removed, I had no evidence of it ever being done and the car was at 89,000 miles). He was recommended on here, I was happy.
2005 Connoisseur 2.5 auto SE Tourer in BRG with Sandstone Beige and Black piping interior (the 2nd of only 7 Rover 75s produced 5th November 2004, and it’s the 244th of 303 facelift British Racing Green 75 tourers built worldwide). All I've done is add Rover walnut gear knob and handbrake...

2016 Vauxhall Viva SL (Father Jack) "assisted manual" (auto) in purple. Going rusty underneath already...

Tenesmus is offline   Reply With Quote