Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th June 2022, 21:21   #1
Savestones
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Default Uneven brake disc wear left-rear wheel

I recently changed my rear brake discs and pads, but after some time of driving I noticed some uneven wear on the brake disc on the left rear side:

Upon noticing this, I regreased the guide pins, caliper, saddle/brake pad carrier and the brake pads and refitted everything, hoping that smooth movement would even out the pads and make my brake disc nice and shiny again.

Unfortunately, this did not seem to work fully. Now, the innermost ring of rust-free brake disc you can see in the picture has expanded somewhat, but the majority of the rust is still there (will make a picture in the morning). Does this mean I waited to long and have to spring for new brake discs? Or can I still work some angle grinder magic (which was also done on my front brake disc) and continue with these - rather new - brake discs?
Savestones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2022, 07:24   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

In time I would expect the disc pad to wear to fit the disc but this is not ideal but the pads could have been made uneven. Is the pad stuck at an angle?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2022, 07:34   #3
Savestones
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
In time I would expect the disc pad to wear to fit the disc but this is not ideal but the pads could have been made uneven. Is the pad stuck at an angle?

macafee2

After regreasing everything the pad moves freely. Being very fresh pads, there is not much play in the caliper. However, I have no indication that the pad is stuck
Old 30th June 2022, 09:18   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Personally i would be removing the carrier and cleaning it, it's quite rusty, and the pad could be getting stuck.

The caliper can be cleaned scraped clean of rust while on the car, you say you have cleaned the pins did you add some rubber grease to the pins ?

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2022, 09:38   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Looking at the caliper, I'd say a good clean of everything is in order, I expect the piston will have picked up some rust.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 30th June 2022, 10:39   #6
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Have you still got the old pads ?

What was the wear pattern like on the friction material on the old pads in that caliper. were the friction faces parallel with the pad back plate, like they should be or tapered top to bottom ?

What is the inner face of the disc like ?

Were all the contact, sliding, mounting surfaces cleaned back to bare metal ?
Old 30th June 2022, 15:16   #7
Savestones
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
you say you have cleaned the pins did you add some rubber grease to the pins ?
I greased them with Brembo B-quiet grease, as I had that handy already. The pins moved fine through the caliper with the caliper off, but due to the thickness of the new pads the caliper doesn't really move back and forward when it's on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Looking at the caliper, I'd say a good clean of everything is in order, I expect the piston will have picked up some rust.
Cleaned all the contact points except for the piston, did not consider it picking up rust. Will do that next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati750cc View Post
Have you still got the old pads ?

What was the wear pattern like on the friction material on the old pads in that caliper. were the friction faces parallel with the pad back plate, like they should be or tapered top to bottom ?
Don't have the old pads anymore, but as far as I remember the old disc did not have this pattern of wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati750cc View Post
Were all the contact, sliding, mounting surfaces cleaned back to bare metal ?
Yes. I forgot to mention this in the first post, and the outside of the carrier and caliper don't look so great, but I did clean the parts of the carrier and caliper that make contact with the brake pads to bare metal before greasing them up. Lifting the caliper up a bit when it is bolted done with the guide pins does suggest that the brake pads are nice and loose from both the carrier and caliper.

Could this be caused by air in the left-rear brake hose, causing the piston to push out a bit less then on the other 3 wheels? Might think too easy on this, but I think the brake fluid is due for a change anyway.

Last edited by Savestones; 30th June 2022 at 15:18..
Old 2nd July 2022, 17:13   #8
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

What you see is the typical pattern caused by a caliper piston that is beginning to seize up.----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2022, 08:51   #9
wizzo337
Loves to post

mg zt

Default Caliper Piston

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
What you see is the typical pattern caused by a caliper piston that is beginning to seize up.----
I had this happen on my front left brake caliper, after pushing the piston back into the caliper and pumping it out a few times, it improved enough to get it through the mot. I removed the piston(s) on both the front and rear calipers and gave them a good clean whilst I was replacing all the brake lines, it's now perfect.
wizzo337 is offline   Reply With Quote