Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th July 2022, 09:39   #1
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts
Default Well that was spectacular !!

Yesterday had to take wife to hospital for the appointment with her fracture clinic. All the way their nice ice cold AC. same on the way back until the AC compressor siezed. burnt the clutch out on the compressor in about 10 seconds, lots of smoke and smell of burning and no more AC. all whilst in a traffic jam. No doubt they all thought Oooo a rover, bet the head gasket has gone
So, shortly after I'm thinking i'm to old to be working on these cars and i should just be tinkering with Vis motors I have had to change the waterpump and belts on the KV6 and now the A/C compressor needs doing, may as well change the condenser as well as it is original.

Guess what I'm doing at the weekend.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2022, 10:13   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Yesterday had to take wife to hospital for the appointment with her fracture clinic. All the way their nice ice cold AC. same on the way back until the AC compressor siezed. burnt the clutch out on the compressor in about 10 seconds, lots of smoke and smell of burning and no more AC. all whilst in a traffic jam. No doubt they all thought Oooo a rover, bet the head gasket has gone
So, shortly after I'm thinking i'm to old to be working on these cars and i should just be tinkering with Vis motors I have had to change the waterpump and belts on the KV6 and now the A/C compressor needs doing, may as well change the condenser as well as it is original.

HI Dave.
Well that's not good news at all, meanwhile is Marina ok ? well as god as she could be if she as a fracture.

Take it steady over the weekend removing all the front and replacing the seized compressor, hopefully the weather will be cooler, if you were closer i would be round and help you.

I have recently changed the A/C compressor on my CDTi did it from below, so you maybe able to do the V6 one too from below.

I had to remove the wheel arch liner as well to get to the couple of bolts holding the coolant pipe.

You can just about remove the A/C pipe from the compressor as well, all best done with the front bumper off, do let us know how you get on Arctic

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2022, 14:44   #3
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Dave. You will probably be lying on your back underneath a certain Rover.Sods law it happens when you need it most. Good luck, although it’s cooled down a bit now. I have noticed how hard the aircon pump is working during this extremely hot weather. I think mine has been running on the top (3rd) speed. Thought it was going to take off the other day as I sat at traffic lights.

Last edited by bl52krz; 20th July 2022 at 14:50..
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2022, 15:11   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
... I have had to change the waterpump and belts on the KV6 and now the A/C compressor needs doing ...

Well at least you'll be familiar with the procedure to access the compressor bolts Dave.
I can't help wondering why your compressor should have seized. Insufficient oil in the refrigerant maybe? Do please let us know what you find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
I think mine has been running on the top (3rd) speed. Thought it was going to take off the other day as I sat at traffic lights.
I'm assuming that you're talking about the radiator fan Dave. The fast speed on a 3 speed motor is triggered only by coolant temperature not the air conditioning. Have a look at the digital coolant temperature display to check that all is well.

Simon
Old 20th July 2022, 15:25   #5
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post

I can't help wondering why your compressor should have seized. Insufficient oil in the refrigerant maybe?

Simon
Almost certainly, probably through lack of maintenance. History is that many years ago same thing happened, thats how I know what it is from the symptoms presented.
At that time I fitted a Second hand compressor had it regassed at a local centre and off we went. worked for around 12 to 18 months and then just stopped. Over a year later it started working again and I still don't know why, it has continued working for the last 3 to 4 year with no maintenance When I strip it out there wont be a lot to see to be honest. going to fit new condenser which includes the dryer along with the compressor.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
Old 20th July 2022, 15:42   #6
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
When I strip it out there wont be a lot to see to be honest.
Thanks Dave for the history. It will be interesting to know if any oil can be drained from the filler plug when you have it on the bench.

Was the radiator fan working on all speeds? I know that the trinary high pressure switch is there to protect the compressor but maybe worth a check.

Simon
Old 20th July 2022, 16:06   #7
Herbert75
Regular poster

Rover 75 connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
HI Dave.
Well that's not good news at all, meanwhile is Marina ok ? well as god as she could be if she as a fracture.

Take it steady over the weekend removing all the front and replacing the seized compressor, hopefully the weather will be cooler, if you were closer i would be round and help you.

I have recently changed the A/C compressor on my CDTi did it from below, so you maybe able to do the V6 one too from below.

I had to remove the wheel arch liner as well to get to the couple of bolts holding the coolant pipe.

You can just about remove the A/C pipe from the compressor as well, all best done with the front bumper off, do let us know how you get on Arctic
Hello artic been away with rover troubles but would like to meet up with you all again are we still doin those meets at that nice diner place with the car theme running through it
Or are there some meets that are on soon round about
regards
Herbert 75
Herbert75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2022, 16:20   #8
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Hi Mark, Arctic is based in Wolverhampton. I think the meets you are referring to are The Waterwheel near Goole. These are currently awaiting The Waterwheel to re open.
If you are refering to the Midland meets down in Wolverhampton then they hve just been rescued by a new venue here.

Last edited by stocktake; 21st July 2022 at 17:07..
Old 20th July 2022, 16:20   #9
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbert75 View Post
Hello artic been away with rover troubles but would like to meet up with you all again are we still doin those meets at that nice diner place with the car theme running through it
Or are there some meets that are on soon round about
regards
Herbert 75

Hi Mark.
We have the Nano meets coming up soon or are you referring to David, (Stocktake) if it's the Nano meets click the link below.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=319766

https://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/meets_2014.html

I need to type faster to beat you Dave

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 20th July 2022 at 16:29..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2022, 15:49   #10
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Hopefully having a beer, chilling out and not worrying about cars Seriously though, I hope Marina yourself and the family are ok

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote