Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th July 2022, 19:35   #1
Jens

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Tank overflow R751.8T

After every full tank of my R751.8T there is a considerable (2+ liters!) tank overflow on the right side and the fuel is pouring from under the car for some time. If I stop 3-5 liters before full there is sometimes just a slight petrol smell.
Pls. your suggestions to tackle this issue.
Jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2022, 20:00   #2
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Probably not particularly helpful, but don’t brim it. Aim to fill to 7/8 max. I do this anyway as my fuel gauge has played up a couple of times when I’ve brimmed. If that’s not a satisfactory solution, you’ll need to get under after filling and trace the leak. Also, you could remove the rear seats and have a look at the pump and filter seals and fill pipe as well as they could be where the leak is.
Old 24th July 2022, 21:45   #3
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Has there been any work done around that area , or has this suddenly started to happen. there are hose connections as well in that area up towards the filler cap that if disturbed can come disconnected. there is also a second petrol expansion tank up there inside the rear wing.they could give arise to vapour smells if disconnected. seems like the tank to filler is not connected securely, or under the rear seat check the sealing rings as suggested. i would not want petrol spurting all over the place under my car near exhaust pipes etc , so this needs addressing urgently. personally i would not even use the car , let alone brim the fuel tank ...
xsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2022, 02:44   #4
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens View Post
After every full tank of my R751.8T there is a considerable (2+ liters!) tank overflow on the right side and the fuel is pouring from under the car for some time. If I stop 3-5 liters before full there is sometimes just a slight petrol smell.
Pls. your suggestions to tackle this issue.

As Xsport says, it's not just petrol fumes that are the problem, ( there should be no escape of fumes to atmosphere any way ) it's the fact that liquid petrol is able to flow so freely from the tank area, even if the vehicle is upside down there should be no fuel leaking out of the system.

I expect that even when the 2+ L have been lost on level ground that when cornering there may also be fuel loss !

Even worse, in the event of a collision, especially a roll over, there would be a large quantity of fuel leaking just waiting to be ignited and toast any occupants of the car still inside.
Old 25th July 2022, 08:16   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Back in the day I bought a MkII Granada to race, and when I removed the steel fuel tank I found the top had completely rusted away and fallen in.
So not so much a fuel tank, more of a fuel bucket.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2022, 08:37   #6
Jens

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Tank overflow 1.8T

Thank you for your response:
I bought the car in oct. last year and after filling the tank for the first time the tank overflow happened (for the last time because of never a full tank again ! ). I called the Roadside Assistance and did not move a yard from the petrol station. An experienced man from the RA looked under the car and told me there was no risk just a clogged tank vent that causes the content from the filler neck take the tank overflow..... and the advice: dont fill the tank completely.
I have studied both Haines (4A-6/7 ch.8: Pump/filter/sender unit) and the WSM 19.45.03 p.284 and understand that I have to change for new ones: the rubber sealing ring and the two O-rings.( and in one move also the fuel filter) Is that right and if so where can I buy these new parts !?
Appreciate your advice
Jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2022, 11:30   #7
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

take the car into someone at a decent garage who can first establish if you have a leak. thats your first move. dont take the word of a recovery breakdown assessment as gospel. first rule is keep safe and be sure. you wont know what or if to buy anything until you have an absolute true diagnosis. find out what you need , and then you can buy spare parts if needed from RIMMER BROS online here in the uk , who would post to you any seals/parts required.

Last edited by xsport; 28th July 2022 at 17:10..
xsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2022, 12:26   #8
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Have a look at this recent thread by a countryman -https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=319809&page=3

As others have said: lift the rear seat and look, if petrol is present either around the pump or filter hatch then inspect the seal (standard BMW part), replace if necessary and really tighten the locking ring.

You can order a new seal using the part numbers on the seal at any BMW dealer, at least that's what I did when I needed one, surprisingly cheap too.

Good luck
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2022, 08:49   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
... dont take the word of a recovery breakdown assessment as gospel ... you wont know what or if to buy anything until you have an absolute true diagnosis.

As you've just bought the car it's likely that a bodge is there just waiting to be discovered.

Simon
Old 29th July 2022, 09:06   #10
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

It will be the seal on the top of the tank incorrectly fitted or damaged just remove seat base and inspection covers you will soon see the problem

Dave
dave lincs is online now   Reply With Quote