Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th July 2022, 12:26   #1
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Default Does £300 seem a little excesive

Hi and hope your all well.
After 10 years of ownership I'm still enjoying my 75 but as you imagine the years are slowly taking it's toll on it now.
The paint work still looks really nice (Zircon Silver) when there's no sunshine, but when that sun comes out it doesn't look too great. Ashamedly it looks like it's been cleaned with a scouring pad. The paint does feel very smooth but it looks awful only when the full force of the sun hits it.
I've tried all manner's of cutting techniques to my limited unprofessional knowledge to no success.
I've looking at getting a professional detailer to tackle the job to which one is optimistic he can get it sorted out.He,s got all the gear and proper lighting to show up the awful paint work but what's around £300 to sort it,
Is that the going rate nowadays?
If it is and he sort it out I would be more than happy to go ahead and get it done,
All the very best,
Johnny
Old 28th July 2022, 13:12   #2
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb44 View Post
Hi and hope your all well.
After 10 years of ownership I'm still enjoying my 75 but as you imagine the years are slowly taking it's toll on it now.
The paint work still looks really nice (Zircon Silver) when there's no sunshine, but when that sun comes out it doesn't look too great. Ashamedly it looks like it's been cleaned with a scouring pad. The paint does feel very smooth but it looks awful only when the full force of the sun hits it.
I've tried all manner's of cutting techniques to my limited unprofessional knowledge to no success.
I've looking at getting a professional detailer to tackle the job to which one is optimistic he can get it sorted out.He,s got all the gear and proper lighting to show up the awful paint work but what's around £300 to sort it,
Is that the going rate nowadays?
If it is and he sort it out I would be more than happy to go ahead and get it done,
All the very best,
Johnny

That doesn't sound bad at all, it is probably going to be at least a day of wet sanding and cutting. Thing is as well, as you've tried to do stuff you might have unknowingly made it worse.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2022, 14:12   #3
The Rovering Member

Rover 75 saloon

From what l've seen some of these guys do, l would say that's cheap. A full car recovery of sound original paint can easily go into four figures & very often does.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2022, 16:33   #4
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rovering Member View Post
From what l've seen some of these guys do, l would say that's cheap. A full car recovery of sound original paint can easily go into four figures & very often does.
To right he had it for a week and the cost was £1200 well impressed with the outcome.

Rev.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1397.jpg (140.9 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1399.jpg (140.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1402.jpg (135.2 KB, 70 views)
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2022, 20:07   #5
N00b
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Important to see some of his previous work. £300 is cheap for a professional detail but it's a fortune for a quick rub down with some Meguires.
N00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2022, 20:51   #6
johnnyb44

Rover 75

Hi again and many thanks for all the replys.
Well this afternoon I took my car over to this guy to cast his professional eye over the state of my Rover.As said before he sounded quite confident over the phone that he could do something with it to bring it back to it's former glory.
As it turned out I know his family quite well and he seemed a honest genuine guy.After having a good look at it he thinks it's not as clear cut as he thought.The scouring pad effect that I discribed earlier is not on the surface just like I originally thought.As I said before the surface clear coat is in good condition and is very slick and smooth but unfortunately he thinks it's failing underneath where it adheres to the base coat paint causing it to react in it's awful way.So I can either live with it and accept it as shall we say age related patina or go for a respray.I could go the wild card and get a tasteful vinyl wrap but I think that would be a travesty or maybe I will get lucky and find a replacement bonnet and boot lid of the same colour.
Old 28th July 2022, 21:10   #7
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Had exactly the same issue, bonnet and roof. 21 years of sitting outside. Had those resprayed at a cost of £300.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2022, 09:13   #8
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post
To right he had it for a week and the cost was £1200 well impressed with the outcome.

Rev.
Hi Jules. Now that’s what is called ’a good un’. Did not look that bad to start with, but that reflection in something else.