Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd January 2010, 08:28   #41
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenWilliams View Post
If Rover were developing a new Diesel to replace the BMW units why were they testing Fiat ones?

Seems to have been a waste of time and money if you ask me..
The L series was being 'played' around with but in my opinion was too old a unit to develop much further, but like Steven says the Fiat/Vauxhall/Suzuki derived diesel was actually used in some road going 75's before the end of production. Some made it onto the road after the closure of MGR. This leads to all sorts of communication issues as T4 won't talk to the engine. Nic is probably the best person to shed more light on this on another thread.
Back on topic :lol:

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 19:53   #42
Telferstr
Posted a thing or two

Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross 3. 1.5 Petrol 6 Speed Manual Gearbox. Great fan of the Mk1 75 which I had 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenWilliams View Post
If Rover were developing a new Diesel to replace the BMW units why were they testing Fiat ones?

Seems to have been a waste of time and money if you ask me..
No not a waste of money Steven. As you will probably know the the L Series Diesel was used in a number of MG Rover Models, and to keep up with modern developments it made good sense to up date a very good in house produced engine.
Yes talks had taken place with Fiat as you say, but that company wanted, as did BMW, what was considered to be a too high price per unit for their product. At this stage the decision was taken, and rightly so imo, to update their own MG ROVER (Powertrain) designed engine. Work was obviously also on going on the K Series of engines the 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 & 2ltr 4 cylinder units along with the V6 engines to ensure that they would be able to meet future required legal emission target levels.
This work would have resulted in MG Rover having a good and strong in house built supply of engines, which in turn would have resulted in the company being completely independent from any outside suppliers for this very essential and important component. This along with a new auto gearbox be developed, would have made the MG Rover branding, very much stronger than using bought in products. It would also have resulted in improved profitability at the same time.
Regards,
Telfer.

Last edited by Telferstr; 9th March 2010 at 18:23..
Telferstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 19:30   #43
south bank
Avid contributor

2004 Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE Saloon (Pre-Facelift)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
The K series was indeed a 1.4,1.6 and even a 1.1 but they didn't just bolt a turbo to the 1.8. Many many differences exist between the 1.8 turbo and nasp after a great deal of development was carried out by MGR
What physically are the differences between the two? A few people I've spoken to think a conversion is possible from Nasp to T. As far as I gather it is:

Inlet manifold,
Fuel injectors,
Turbocharger (Obviously),
Intercooler and hoses,
ECU,
Complete exhaust including the CAT.

Is there anything else that is different? Valve timings? Camshaft maybe? What else is different?

Also, how much could you get from re-mapping a 1.8 NASP if you can gain 50 from the turbo variant?
south bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 21:24   #44
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

I had an email from Steve at SR Performance about 2 weeks ago and it is still his intention to read my ECU to assess whether it will be possible to safely remap the 1.8t.

I'm still waiting for his call but i haven't pushed him as i have other aspects of the car i am about to work on.

We will get an answer though!
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 21:36   #45
iga
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8t Conn SE Tourer

As I recall the turbo also had lower compression pistons (originally developed for the Mexican market I think) and a modified block with an oil take-off for the turbo, so I think converting from NASP to turbo is quite involved, better off doing an engine swap I think.

These guys already do a MEMS remap to 175 bhp

http://www.zandf-tuning.co.uk/
iga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 01:07   #46
south bank
Avid contributor

2004 Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE Saloon (Pre-Facelift)

Thanks for that Iga. I thought, for the combined cost of all the parts without the labour/hire car etc, I'm pretty sure you could get hold of an entire engine and swap it.

Your tuning company suggestion has got me thinking, I've just seen a good 1.8T on autotrader not far from me being sold for less than the p/x value of my car. I'm tempted to pay him a visit and if I could get a couple hundred back... a tuning company might get another customer. I like the sound of 175 Bhp with a 1.8s fuel and running costs.
south bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 17:01   #47
johnpilky
Loves to post

mg zt 160+

Quote:
Originally Posted by the monk View Post
What are your thought, views on this.
I came across this site - http://www.hyperchips.co.uk/ and was wondering if anyone else had tuned their cars. If so, are these things any good, or is there another way for an extra few bhp?

Stuart
hi, any more news on the re map yet.may be interested myself depending on figures,regards.
johnpilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 19:15   #48
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the monk View Post
What are your thought, views on this.
I came across this site - http://www.hyperchips.co.uk/ and was wondering if anyone else had tuned their cars. If so, are these things any good, or is there another way for an extra few bhp?

Stuart
was thinking of having a super chip on mine but was told futher down the line i would have nothing but trouble with the engine .so didnt bother .besides its fast enough as it is ..if i wanted more power then the best thing would be to get a car with a bigger engine .