Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st December 2006, 12:12   #21
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterchick View Post
LOL! Far too many big technical words in there for me!
Maybe...But you would sound so much nicer saying them.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 17:51   #22
scooter

ZT240

The blower car is for every day road use.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 11:28   #23
sojourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjtl1 View Post
Went back a week later picked it up and motored home after about 10 miles I thought what have I done,this is not what I thought it was,Im sorry everyone but I was thinking MG magnette quick and comfortable,not this.Arrived home,trying not to show my dissapointment,took wife for run she hated it,as we drove along I looked out of the corner of my eye to see her head bouncing up and down,those of you who own one of these know what Iam talking about.Kept car for 6 months hopeing I could love it but no swapped it out for a 54 plate diesel auto pearlesent red tourer,and got a good kicking financialy.Is it good engineering! of course it is!the best.But fun and track use only Im afraid in my oppinion, still miss looking at it. happy new year.
Funnily enough, as I said elsewhere, I don't think they are really quick enough as standard, but my better half likes mine very much (she also liked the accord type r and nissan 200sx ). My biggest concern with it is that it is definately not a second car, not extreme enough for that, but a great everyday car that can be enjoyed at legal speeds. It is however thirsty.
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 13:04   #24
rover
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjtl1 View Post
having just made the last payment on my caddy van I thought I shall have another classic motor,maybe a 1966 s type jag,or a 350/450 merc se,then I thought about reliability,maybe not,having a rover 75 at home that the wife uses,and had up till this time only cost us servicing and a tail lamp bulb in 4 years just maybe! I should be looking at an mgr v8.In true bloke style I bought the first one I saw,wowwwwww!!!! x power dodgey se spec(no sat nav)mgr group number plates,BX53 chassis no 0032.The car looked fab,like the car batman would go to the shops in.Sat in it for test drive,turned key,oh my god sounds just like the 3500s I restored(4 barrel webber)5 years ago,drove the car for about 3 miles it was a car on another level I had never been to,as Hammond would say it was like being in a cartoon.
HTML Code:
Went about 10 miles I thought what have I done,this is not what I thought it was,Im sorry everyone but I was thinking MG magnette quick and comfortable,not this.Arrived home,trying not to show my dissapointment,took wife for run she hated it,as we drove along I looked out of the corner of my eye to see her head bouncing up and down,those of you who own one of these know what Iam talking about.Kept car for 6 months hopeing I could love it but no swapped it out for a 54 plate diesel auto pearlesent red tourer,and got a good kicking financialy.Is it good engineering! of course it is!the best.But fun and track use only Im afraid in my oppinion, still miss looking at it.
happy new yearback a week later picked it up and motored home after .
I thought it was just me!
Having taken one for a half day test drive I came to exactly the same conclusion.Similar comparison;on the way back to hand the car in I picked up the wife so she could add her two penneth.Within about 5 minutes she declared the ride was dreadful compared the the CDTi,which was something I already knew.
One of the main reasons for buying a 75 was the ride quality,but that goes out the window with the V8.
I guess however far back you install this lump & modify the suspension,you can't balance the load successfully.
rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 19:24   #25
Tim
Feel the size of my Quads

MG ZT 440SE, MG HS PHEV & MG3

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover View Post
I thought it was just me!
Having taken one for a half day test drive I came to exactly the same conclusion.Similar comparison;on the way back to hand the car in I picked up the wife so she could add her two penneth.Within about 5 minutes she declared the ride was dreadful compared the the CDTi,which was something I already knew.
One of the main reasons for buying a 75 was the ride quality,but that goes out the window with the V8.
I guess however far back you install this lump & modify the suspension,you can't balance the load successfully.
Horses for courses I think.

Bit of a broad bush on the V8 Mr rover. Don't forget the Rover V8 which is more of the 75 style in suspension. I think the point is being missed the ZT is a different drive to the 75 with its sportier handling. I don't find the ride harsh at all, may be its because I've had ZT's since they came out.

Fortunately I can compare both 75 and ZT, though they look the same are different cars. I can throw the ZT into bends, power out and accelerate in a direct and controlled manner, in the 75 I would not dream of doing the same thing. The 75 is a gentlemans car, I woffed every where. Saying that with the Ron box and 225's it handles a bit more like a ZT than a standard 75 but thats my horse on the course.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 20:46   #26
Simon
Banned

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Horses for courses I think.

Bit of a broad bush on the V8 Mr rover. Don't forget the Rover V8 which is more of the 75 style in suspension. I think the point is being missed the ZT is a different drive to the 75 with its sportier handling. I don't find the ride harsh at all, may be its because I've had ZT's since they came out.

Fortunately I can compare both 75 and ZT, though they look the same are different cars. I can throw the ZT into bends, power out and accelerate in a direct and controlled manner, in the 75 I would not dream of doing the same thing. The 75 is a gentlemans car, I woffed every where. Saying that with the Ron box and 225's it handles a bit more like a ZT than a standard 75 but thats my horse on the course.

If you'd wanted a smoother ride then you don't buy a ZT. I've only ever drove a ZT and yes, the suspension feels harsh - but as Tim says I like it like that (I'm no gentleman! ).

If you want the power but you also want a little more refinement and 'manners' then the Rover 75 V8 is the way to go.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2007, 09:14   #27
Womble
Avid contributor

ZT-T 260

From what I've gathered, if you really want a harsh ride, then go for a ZT190!

My 260 is certainly not what I'd call harsh in any way shape or form. Firm, yes, but anything less would just compromise the driving!

'Kermit' - MG ZT-T 260 Mk1 - VIN 019
Womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2007, 12:24   #28
Scarlet Fever
Avid contributor

ZT 260 (#27 of 217)

Hmmm, i came from a ZT 190+ to the 260 i now have and from a handling / ride comfort perspective i'd say the 260 is better in both respects.

The ride is less harsh (not by much, but it is) and the 260 being rear wheel drive, dispenses with torque steer altogether. When i had my 190, if you had asked me about torque steer i would have scoffed a little and then said that it was barely noticable. That said the ZS 180 i had prior to this was even better still, but in both cars, when you powered out of a bend you could feel the torque through the steering wheel, it just isn't that noticable (which is the genius of the suspension redesign on these cars). However, getting out of a 190 and straight into a 260 the difference is immense - the 260 has a purity about the steering that is hard to describe, but immediately apparent when you go from one car to the other.

There are three things above all others that set the 260 apart for me:

1 ) Rear wheel drive
2 ) The noise of the V8
3 ) The power of the V8

I have placed them in order, and there is a big gap between 2 ) & 3 ). A rear wheel drive 190 would be a lot of fun i reckon...
ZT 260 - #27
Scarlet Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2007, 20:10   #29
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

I have the original hard sprung 190 and a 260 the 190 is definitely less comfortable and when I got it had a lot more rattles but they were easy to sort out

I love driving both of them as they can both corner 10 - 15 mph faster than I can do in my 75, tyically.

The 260 can definitely deal with tight bends better than the 190 though which if pushed is inclined to under steer which is fairly typical for most FWD cars.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2007, 20:12   #30
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

This is well worth a read as it describes in some detail the scale of the work put into the 260's chassis, damn impressive

http://www.xpower-mg.com/v8/Engineering260.htm
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote