Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st March 2020, 14:40   #71
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

Let’s try again 😀
Ignore the damage to the slave.

Here it it is apart.

The seal.

These pipes are simply pushed in and held by a split pin.

The plastic below this pipe was damp, I strongly suspect due to both these pipes being loose it drew air in, hence no obvious sign of any fluid leak.
Also the sideways play in the pipe was terrible, no way should there be any play in it, oddly enough I checked the bleed nipple was tight on this, the pipe was under no stresss when it was checked, a few hours later I had no clutch.

This is a new Borg and beck slave that came with the car, there is no movement at all with the two pipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2020, 14:46   #72
Ched

This slave that has caused this problem was advertised by a well known parts supplier, advertised as an oem Q item.

Be careful what you buy.
Old 1st March 2020, 15:28   #73
Ched

It was supplied by a well known parts supplier on here, the replacement I didn’t get a picture of, but it is not the same manufacturer.
It has made me and the guy that had to do the job twice now realise that you have to carefully inspect new components on build quality, something that this one clearly failed on.
Old 1st March 2020, 16:42   #74
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Dave. What was the name of the manufacturer on the slave? I am afraid that if I have to buy anything to replace a duff item on my car, it will have to be a ‘ named’ one. I.E. TRW, SKF, Lemforder, Borg and the like. I will not be buying Delphi after the rubbish droplinks I got with their name on. Don’t know if all their other parts are the same, but I don’t intend giving it a chance with my money again. It is an absolute disgrace the crappy stuff that is being sold, and with regards to OE stuff, if it is not made by the same company as the original part, then it ain’t OE. No ifs no buts.
Old 1st March 2020, 17:09   #75
Ched

Tbh Dave, I have no idea, this is what was told to the chap who had to do the job twice.

It was a trade unbranded item that was going under the OEM-Q banner, They were obtained from one of their biggest suppliers.
They have been removed from sale due to the amount of complaints / failures.

The replacements come with a 2 year warranty and the quality difference is very noticeable.

I guess we are being sold cheap trash instead of paying good money for an item thats made properly and also made to last, what we want is a manufacturer that puts his money where his mouth is.

We are not alone from what I've been reading tho, Ford and Vauxhall owners are also suffering from failing slaves, not sure tho whether that is original or replacement parts.
Old 5th March 2020, 22:36   #76
freelancer
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon Connoisseur SE 2.5V6

Clutch went on the V6 today. Thanks for all foregoing warnings. Vehicle was RAC recovered and is in a garage in Dundee. Fingers will be crossed for a good job and long-lasting outcome.
freelancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2020, 22:54   #77
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
Manufacturer tooling doesn’t last forever, and can wear down. It’s super expensive to re-tool, hence tempting for these companies to stretch the life of the tooling.

Consider this if LUK was the original supplier to MG Rover since 1998, has the moulding been updated since then after probably 100’s of thousands of pressings? Slight tolerance variation on a probably very tight tolerance component here would easily result in failure earlier in life. Excess flashing from worn tooling of the plastic housing could cause elastomer failures quite quickly.

As an example anyone (ok with much wider tolerances) that has seen the rear wing of a P6 will understand this as the later pressed wings from the original worn tooling are a mile away at the shut line compared to the original pressing.
I doubt very much if the original tooling has past its sell by date yet, I am currently moulding on tooling with at least 10+ years on the original Rover tooling without issue.

I feel the issue will be the material and processing involved rather than the tool itself, the housing for the slave cylinder is made from nylon 6.6, now a good quality Nylon costs in the region of £1.80 per kg, I know suppliers of an 'Equivalent' material where the price is in the region of £1.10.

The difference to mould the two materials is like chalk and cheese, Nylon is a swine to mould even when using the best polymer, if you choose a lower priced material, you will not have the benefit of the in built stabilisers in the material, thus it will be harder to process and the moulding conditions will vary.

The two parts will look very similar when placed side by side, the weight would probably be within tolerance too, the only difference would be moulded in stresses that would not be visible to the naked eye, could this be a reason for the failures of new slave cylinders? Without knowing what materials are used, and without seeing the process we can only speculate.

As an aside, many years ago I made plastic parts for use in the space shuttle program and also moulded ball joint covers for Austin Rover at the same time, and the same material supplier supplied the polyurethane for both