Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th February 2024, 16:38   #1
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Default Swapped CD changer but plugs don't mate

To my surprise my "new" 02 Connoisseur Tourer has not got a glovebox CD, but my old 04 has. So I removed and installed it in the 02, thinking it would be a simple "plug & play." Silly me, why is life in RoverLand never simple? It's the same Harmony radio so why don't the plugs fit?
Someone please solve the solution.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg plugs.jpg (63.9 KB, 54 views)
Old 18th February 2024, 19:28   #2
Matt_75
Gets stuck in

75 Saloon

I assume the female connector on the left is attached the to CD changer? And the male connector on the right is one found disconnected around the fuse board area? Are you certain the male connector is for the radio? The wire colours don't look correct.

2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 (BRG)
1999 Rover 75 Club 2.5 (Dorchester Red)
1973 Triumph Dolomite (Honeysuckle)
Matt_75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2024, 07:45   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
It's the same Harmony radio so why don't the plugs fit?
Hello Dave,

It's rather complicated I'm afraid.

According to RAVE there will be differences depending upon whether the CD changer was factory-fitted or added as an accessory by the dealer. Apparently the CD changer was always an option, never standard.

Factory-fitted
An "overlay harness" is used. This has a 10 pin rectangular black connector (C1316) at the Harmony end. Only four terminals are wired and the colours are pink/black, yellow/black, black/pink and black/yellow. This connector fits into one of two rectangular ports on the 17 pin square-ish black connector (C1315) at the rear of the Harmony. Do you have this on your 2004 car?

At the CD changer end I have no physical details of the connector (C0941) but in addition to the wiring colours above there should also be black, white/red/yellow (K-bus) and purple/pink, so that's a total of seven connections.
Do you have these on one of the connectors you've photographed? I'm afraid I can't see clearly the number of terminals or the wiring colours from the thumbnail picture. Matt's photo is much better and may have the wiring colours I've given.

Dealer fitted
RAVE says "an additional link harness" was used which is "not covered by this manual".

Any help?

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 19th February 2024 at 07:49..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2024, 09:39   #4
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hello Dave,

It's rather complicated I'm afraid.

According to RAVE there will be differences depending upon whether the CD changer was factory-fitted or added as an accessory by the dealer. Apparently the CD changer was always an option, never standard.

Factory-fitted
An "overlay harness" is used. This has a 10 pin rectangular black connector (C1316) at the Harmony end. Only four terminals are wired and the colours are pink/black, yellow/black, black/pink and black/yellow. This connector fits into one of two rectangular ports on the 17 pin square-ish black connector (C1315) at the rear of the Harmony. Do you have this on your 2004 car?

At the CD changer end I have no physical details of the connector (C0941) but in addition to the wiring colours above there should also be black, white/red/yellow (K-bus) and purple/pink, so that's a total of seven connections.
Do you have these on one of the connectors you've photographed? I'm afraid I can't see clearly the number of terminals or the wiring colours from the thumbnail picture. Matt's photo is much better and may have the wiring colours I've given.

Dealer fitted
RAVE says "an additional link harness" was used which is "not covered by this manual".

Any help?

Simon
Most grateful to both of you. The CD changer (Alpine) has no connection into the back just the wires come out. Below are two more photos of the harness plug (top) and CD connector (below).

I can't see me being able to work this out - I'm OK on swabbing out EGRs - but auto electrics is beyond me, so whatever you suggest will probably mean a trip to a local expert if I can find one.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CD wiring pic 1.jpg (84.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg CD wiring pic 2.jpg (52.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 19th February 2024, 09:53   #5
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

Default Cruise control?

This may well be a total red herring but copying the BMW number off the hanging down harness connector - which is very difficult to read, but could be 1-967-415-1 and Google that comes up surprisingly here: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=632. This leads to a lengthy debate which may suggest it is a cruise control lead and nowt to do with the radio. What do you think?
Old 19th February 2024, 10:21   #6
Matt_75
Gets stuck in

75 Saloon

Well done on finding the number. It does look like the cruise control connector.

Old 19th February 2024, 10:22   #7
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

The cruise control ecu is fitted behind the glovebox on my diesel and I had the connector but no cruise until I retro fitted it. Some aftermarket changer units had their own specific loom adapter and control box to fit a changer by Phillips or Sony if I remember correctly. Again, if I remember correctly not all cars had the standard changer plug fitted but my memory isn’t as good as it used to be.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2024, 10:25   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
... which may suggest it is a cruise control lead and nowt to do with the radio. What do you think?
According to RAVE the diesel has an "interface ECU" for cruise control situated "in the front passenger footwell area, behind the fascia". It has one 12 pin connector. Is your 2002 car the diesel?

But let's not get distracted! You're looking to mate your CD changer flying lead with a matching connector on the car's loom. You don't need any auto electrical knowledge to observe the wiring colours on the flying lead (from the CD changer) and see if they match the available connectors on the car's loom.

Dave, please can you post photos using the "mountains" icon rather than thumbnails which are small, low resolution and cannot be enlarged on my laptop. I'm happy to help but I need to be able to count the number of terminals on the connectors you're photographing so can you take the picture end-on to the terminals? If you can tell me the wiring colours as well by unravelling them and noting them down that would be extremely helpful.

Simon
Old 19th February 2024, 11:23   #9
Matt_75
Gets stuck in

75 Saloon

If you dont already have the wiring in place, I think you need one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255265962...mis&media=COPY

It's hard to tell from the low quality photo, but the connector and wire colours appear to be correct. It will involve a bit of wiring though and finding the correct pins to crimp on the radio end could be tricky.

Old 19th February 2024, 14:02   #10
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
According to RAVE the diesel has an "interface ECU" for cruise control situated "in the front passenger footwell area, behind the fascia". It has one 12 pin connector. Is your 2002 car the diesel?

But let's not get distracted! You're looking to mate your CD changer flying lead with a matching connector on the car's loom. You don't need any auto electrical knowledge to observe the wiring colours on the flying lead (from the CD changer) and see if they match the available connectors on the car's loom.

Dave, please can you post photos using the "mountains" icon rather than thumbnails which are small, low resolution and cannot be enlarged on my laptop. I'm happy to help but I need to be able to count the number of terminals on the connectors you're photographing so can you take the picture end-on to the terminals? If you can tell me the wiring colours as well by unravelling them and noting them down that would be extremely helpful.

Simon

Right 02 plate is another diesel Tourer.
I always use the "mountains" icon - I didn't know there was any other, but that does raise a mystery. If I use my proper office PC - still running on XP, yes I know, I know - the pics come up enlarged. I always upload at 800px or 700 px, but if I look on my Dell laptop (Win 11 Pro) then sometimes they appear as thumbnails, sometimes full size. So the pics below I am going to upload again via my Dell.
And PS: I've run a R75 for some 11 years but never bothered with cruise control: it's so easy to drive (in auto) even long journeys to Burgundy or Barra I've just not bothered to fiddle.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CD wiring pic 1.jpg (84.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg CD wiring pic 2.jpg (52.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg CD wiring pic 3.jpg (83.1 KB, 63 views)