Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th September 2020, 18:29   #1
Vantheman
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default 75 CDTi - Smell (and headache) from air vents

Hi All
Apologies for the long message but I have tried lots of things.

I am getting a smell through the air vents which I think is diesel but I might be wrong. It is slightly sweet and doesn't have the burnt smell of exhaust. It gives me a headache and it's been getting worse over the 2 months I've had the car.

It's an 04 without the under bonnet fuel pump.

I don't get the smell when running the blower with the engine off, but it appears not long after I start the engine, even with the car stationary. When driving, I get it without the blower on, but I think it's worse with the blower running. I don't think it's as bad when I set it to recirculate.

I had a very slow leak from the fuel check valve just behind the filter, but I've sorted that out. I've tried to wash away any diesel from the surrounding area/top of the gearbox.

I've looked underneath and the exhaust doesn't seem to be blowing (at idle) and I couldn't see any sooty marks/evidence.

The various drain holes from the plenum have the correct flappy things which should reduce fumes being drawn in from underneath. The seal along the front looks OK and I've tested it with double sided tape.

There was some oily/dirty residue around injector 1 including on the head of the end inlet manifold bolt, but it's also around the oil filler so I think it's left over from a previous topping up. After a drive it wasn't wet again.

I've looked all round the EGR, injectors, pipes between injectors, for signs of a leak but can't see anything or feel any wetness or smell anything.

If I run let the car idle with the blower on long enough for it to happen, then have a sniff around under the bonnet and the plenum chamber, I can't smell it.

Now there are a couple of things I don't understand (being new to diesels and in fact anything remotely modern).

There is some oily/dirty residue around the pipe from the top of the intercooler. I've read all about the o-rings and I'm going to get some and change them. But I don't see how this could cause the smell as nothing diesely goes through there. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, the plenum seems fairly well sealed from the rest of the underbonnet area, so what route could the smell be taking to get in?

Any suggestions would be really appreciated!
Van
Vantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2020, 18:35   #2
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Air con needs a service maybe
Have a read
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=194849

Last edited by Ian G; 20th September 2020 at 18:38..
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2020, 19:14   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Check the EGR pipework (The concertina metal bit on the rh side of the engine in between the battery box and the cam cover) This can fracture easily (Especially on auto's that have had an EGR bypass fitted)

Also whip off the engine cover and see if the top of the injectors are wet, if so you have diesel bypassing the copper washer at the base of an injector(s)

Have a look quickly, and get it sorted, this is not good for your health!!
Old 20th September 2020, 20:01   #4
Vantheman
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks Gents

Ian - interesting read although my smell is more fumey than mouldy... might give it a go some time.

Trikey - Cover is off already and can't see anything untoward there. I've just started the car and can't feel anything blowing from the concertina bit, or between there and the valve, but will have a better feel tomorrow in the daylight. I suppose there could be a problem at the other end - I've looked on the Rimmers site and see it has a 2 bolt flange but where does it go?

Cheers
Van
Old 20th September 2020, 20:05   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

The two bolt flange bolts to the end of the exhaust manifold (RH side as you stand in front of the car)

I have never seen a leak of exhaust gases from this area, your best bet would be to get the car up on ramps and get underneath, look for any sooty deposits around the turbo / back of the block area.
Old 20th September 2020, 20:05   #6
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

Is there any sign of moisture in the interior - steamy windows etc? I wonder if the heater matrix might be leaking and it's coolant you can smell.
Old 22nd September 2020, 06:10   #7
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I was also going to say, possibly a coolant leak. Any leakage of coolant will dry without trace, but antifreeze does have quite a strong wiff if it is dropping onto a warm engine part.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s

Last edited by Mike Trident; 22nd September 2020 at 06:11.. Reason: spelling mistake
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2020, 15:45   #8
cengar
Loves to post

rover 75 saloon cdti

how old is the pollen filter these can give a nasty smell
cengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2020, 18:23   #9
Vantheman
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Update!
The bad smell is only there when the engine is running and worse when the ventilation is not recirculating so that rules out quite a few things.
So last night I focused on where fumes could get into the plenum chamber. Checked the seal to the bonnet which is good. Then looking at all the grommets round pipes etc going into the plenum chamber, I found a pipe (clutch pipe?) where the grommet wasn't fully clipped into the metalwork and has a much bigger hole than the pipe. I took the air filter cover off and with one hand in the plenum and one behind the engine I got the grommet in place. Filled up the hole with sealant and also touched up around the metal pipes above, because shining a torch in through the plenum showed some light on the engine side.
Result: Nasty chemically smell is gone and I feel better but not fully sorted as headache is still there!
Now there must have been 2 problems here - the hole, and the fumes that came through it. The hole must have been there 2 months ago when I bought the car, but the fumes weren't. I remember having a vague suspicion that the car had got louder at tickover - I wonder if this is related.
I'm taking it in for the MoT in 2 days and I'll talk to the garage about this and hopefully they can find something that's not too expensive!
Van
Old 22nd September 2020, 19:48   #10
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantheman View Post
Update!
The bad smell is only there when the engine is running and worse when the ventilation is not recirculating so that rules out quite a few things.
So last night I focused on where fumes could get into the plenum chamber. Checked the seal to the bonnet which is good. Then looking at all the grommets round pipes etc going into the plenum chamber, I found a pipe (clutch pipe?) where the grommet wasn't fully clipped into the metalwork and has a much bigger hole than the pipe. I took the air filter cover off and with one hand in the plenum and one behind the engine I got the grommet in place. Filled up the hole with sealant and also touched up around the metal pipes above, because shining a torch in through the plenum showed some light on the engine side.
Result: Nasty chemically smell is gone and I feel better but not fully sorted as headache is still there!
Now there must have been 2 problems here - the hole, and the fumes that came through it. The hole must have been there 2 months ago when I bought the car, but the fumes weren't. I remember having a vague suspicion that the car had got louder at tickover - I wonder if this is related.
Quote:
I'm taking it in for the MoT in 2 days and I'll talk to the garage about this and hopefully they can find something that's not too expensive!
Van
Hi Van.
i would not mention the fumes before the MOT see if it passes first, remember give your car an Italian tune up before taking to the MOT station maybe 30 minute run or an hour if you can arriving at the MOT place 5 minutes before your test.

It will help with the emissions test, but in reality its always best to try and coincide servicing your car around the same time as your MOT maybe a week or few days before, that way your car will have all new clean filters, and oil, and if possible do a manifold clean along with an EGR & MAP clean. good luck at the MOT

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote