Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th July 2016, 12:51   #1
Animesis
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon 2.0l Diesel Connoisseur

Default Brake Pad Wear Sensor Wire Location

So I've recently discovered what the previous owner meant when he said the front brake wear sensor wire was damaged, its not just the sensor lead, the entire wire appears to be missing from the front, I can only imagine it got ripped out and the connector was still attached and took the whole wire with it.

I've had a look around the net but have trouble finding where the original wire down to the brake sensor connector would have been and theres no trace of it anywhere. To avoid confusion, I dont just mean the sensor lead as bought to be plugged in, but the entire wire from beyond the connector.

Any pics under the bonnet where the wires appear from would be a great help then I can start to look for where it used to be!

*On a plus side, I have the gearbox changed, new clutch in, subframe painted, change of fluids all done this weekend gone thanks to these fantastic forums
Animesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2016, 13:13   #2
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi, if i remember well,it's the black one ;the blue being the ABS.

Mike
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2016, 13:20   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The connector for the sensor lead is hidden behind the arch liner if that's any help.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2016, 13:21   #4
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Just beaten by T-Cut and FrenchMike, but neither have mentioned the following.

Have you looked at all four brakes for your missing wear indicator(s)

There are only two fitted, one to the offside front and the other to the nearside rear.

To find the front cable, turn the steering wheel to full left lock. Looking through the rear side of the front wheel, you should see the flexible brake hose coming over to the brake caliper. Attached to it, you should see a cable protected by a cable protector -( a length of plastic, coiled around the cable). The second to final connector for the cable should be close to the suspension strut.the final connector is a push fit connection between the cable end fitting and the tab on the edge of the brake-pad.

The rear wear indicator is on the nearside, again with a similar protected cable attached.

Last edited by GeoffWW; 18th July 2016 at 13:25..
GeoffWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2016, 13:47   #5
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Here is the part you need.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001572

Point 9 on the drawing is the brake pad, and point 10 is the cable, coiled round for ease of taking the picture.

The tubular end goes near the suspension strut. the much smaller rounded end clips into the recession in the middle of the correct pad, fitted with the wear detector 'cable' splayed out inside the correct block.
Old 18th July 2016, 14:35   #6
Animesis
Loves to post

ah quick replies as usual!

I wish it was just that part, the entire cable is gone, not just the cable with the sensor on the end from the connector, and there's no sign of anything being there anymore. The connector and all the cable appears to have been torn out. Im guessing somewhere in the engine bay is a loom that its been torn out of which will require a piece of wire and a new connector to be wired in and then the cable and its sensor plugged into

Sorry for the unclear description, Im sure there's a better way to describe it! If you could imagine taking the cable with the sensor out and then holding the connector still attached the car and yanking that other cable out, I can only presume like that happened and the only evidence it ever had the cable at all is the hole in the wheel arch lining. Had the car in bits over the weekend and there was no sign of the connector or any wire for it anywhere. Im trying to find the loom in the engine bay where it would have connected as I assume thats where it must have been
Gearbox change, clutch, subframe refurbish, handbrake mod, drumbrake repair, rear coils, plate PCB repair, sunroof drains refitted, trim leak fix, cruise control fix, cleared EGR/inlet, new strut bearings, USB sockets in rear ashtray, new front brake pipes/hoses, repaired undertray, new o/s rear upper arm, refurbished rear suspension&subframe, fixed back light leak, new exhaust, fitted HID xenons, FBH fix, new thermostat, armrest LEDs, wood dash, new hydromount, natnav, tyres, numberplates
Old 18th July 2016, 14:57   #7
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Hello again, Animesis,

..I have just read your last entry. Have you read my entries that two corners have no cables at all?!!!

The cable from the pads can't be missed.

Have you been able to access the Rimmer Bros web site and seen the detail I gave you the link for?
The illustration of the cable also shows the cable guard spiraling around the cable.
What spec is your car? Perhaps the Classic did not have brake pad wear warning system.

Hello again FrenchMike, (My FBH is still going strong thanks to your skills).

Your photo is of the bulkhead. Can you throw any light an whether there are models that don't have the warning light. I would have thought they would all have this important basic safety feature
Old 18th July 2016, 15:34   #8
Animesis
Loves to post

Unfortunately so, when i was buying it the seller told me "the old brake wear sensor wire got broken off, thats why its lit up on the dash" I had presumed he meant the sensor wire alone, not the entire wire :s

I did indeed look on rimmers! I have the sensors cables, -bought some ready for the weekends work, and when I went to attach the front one there was no wire at all, just the hole in the wheel arch liner where it passes through showing that it did previously have one, no sign of torn off cables in the wheel arch behind the lining or engine bay!

There was one connector by the front offside suspension in the engine bay, but not a brakewear sensor connector and it was a very short wire -a inch or 2-

If I can figure out how to attach pictures I will most definitely do so, its a Rover 75 CDTi saloon Connoisseur manual
Gearbox change, clutch, subframe refurbish, handbrake mod, drumbrake repair, rear coils, plate PCB repair, sunroof drains refitted, trim leak fix, cruise control fix, cleared EGR/inlet, new strut bearings, USB sockets in rear ashtray, new front brake pipes/hoses, repaired undertray, new o/s rear upper arm, refurbished rear suspension&subframe, fixed back light leak, new exhaust, fitted HID xenons, FBH fix, new thermostat, armrest LEDs, wood dash, new hydromount, natnav, tyres, numberplates
Old 18th July 2016, 15:55   #9
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesis View Post
If I can figure out how to attach pictures I will most definitely do so
Here's what you do:

1.Open a free account at Photobucket. http://s5.photobucket.com/
2.Upload your photos as instructed.
3.Have this Forum open on one browser page and your Photobucket album open on another page, so you can flip between them.
4.Each photo thumbnail in your album has a three line gadget in the upper left corner.
5.Hover the curser on that to open the actions menu.
6.In there move down and click on Share.
7.This pops up another gui with Photo Links options.
8.You need the Direct one, so click that.
9.The link turns yellow to confirm it has been copied to your clipboard.
10.Come back here and type out your text in the message interface.
11.Place the cursor where you want to insert the first photo.
12.Go to the tools bar at the top of the Message box and click the Insert Image button (the small yellow square with mountains & sun scene).
13.This pops up the add image URL gui.
14.Simply paste (Ctrl & v) the link directly over the existing 'http://' entry. (Ensure the existing code is deleted or your photos will have code tags on them).
15.OK this and your photo will appear in the message at the place required.
16.Just continue typing as normal, adding more photos as required.
17.When you're happy with the layout, post the message.

You'll find the best visual layout is given with photos around 400-600 pixels wide. Most cameras take gigantic images and cause the forum page to be too wide for many monitors. Before uploading to Photobucket, I usually re-size mine with one of the free photo editing programs. Alternatively, you can use the Resize tool in Photobucket under the Edit tab for each thumbnail.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2016, 17:59   #10
MWMan
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

I have been working on my front near side wheel arch today and had the brake sensor cable disconnected, so I was looking at where the cable went from the connector. It disappears into the wiring loom near the top engine mount, just under the air con pipes. I have taken some photos, but I need to be on my PC to upload them, which I will do in the morning. Mine is a 2.5 V6 so not sure if they are all the same.
MWMan is offline   Reply With Quote