Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The Chinese Cars - MG7 and Roewe 750 > NAC & SAIC
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th August 2017, 08:17   #11
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi.
On another thread I commented that Emma's MG3 was getting serviced at an independent. It was a garage recommended by my son, I got a call in the early afternoon while in Halfords and they asked me to look in.
Well the reason was to show me the extent of rust on the front subframe, front and back suspension. It looks like the finish, power coat or paint has literally not adhered to the metal. The rust is extensive. It's not eaten right in by any means but some parts are fairly thin gauge. It's going to be looked at by MG but if this is common I don't see them having a particularly long life.
This car is BT registered and has never lived at the sea so salt damage has to be ruled out.
The independent garage said they would clean up the rust, and use bilt hamber products to neutralize and protect the parts if MG don't come good.
Chinese steel production might be the highest in world but quality is poor wait ten years and most of Chinese infrastructure will be in a mess needing expensive repairs no wander MG sales are poor my advice is get rid now buy a Corsa
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 08:19   #12
grivas

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
It would have gone like this at SA..

Meeting to discuss under body coating.

Present: 30 Chinese SA guys and perhaps the odd rover guys.

Decision to put 3 microns of coating on, saving 10 rmb per car..

Job done retire for huge banquet dinner...Gambai
What on Earth are you talking about?
Old 13th August 2017, 08:23   #13
grivas

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Em I'm not so sure.
The Panda is a year older and has 7000 more miles under it's belt, plus lived in Stevenston for 2 & 1/2 years Jim. Other than a tiny bit of rust at the weld from the rear beam to the torsion arm it is rust free.
Mercedes still have rust issues on suspension areas, why are these areas not galvanised is a mystery.
I have though Waxoyled the Panda throughout as a precaution.

On a different note the young salesman in Brysons MG told me that sales are poor, the lack of advertising doesn't help and a few horror stories are coming to light, namely clutch issues and timing chains stretching and jumping teeth, MG customer service is hopeless with letters, calls and Emails ignored, at this rate they will disappear and owners will get nothing for their cars.
Already they are are worth nothing from the moment they are driven out of showroom might as well burn money....
Old 13th August 2017, 18:24   #14
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Chinese steel production might be the highest in world but quality is poor wait ten years and most of Chinese infrastructure will be in a mess needing expensive repairs no wander MG sales are poor my advice is get rid now buy a Corsa
Corsa........ you are taking the **** never in a month of Sundays
Old 13th August 2017, 18:36   #15
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Lets be fair here
What I have seen on the MG3 is not hugely worse as I have seen on so called premium models at double the price.
I have now had time to look at it myself, a very quick wire brush and a coat of Bilt Hamber Dynax to neutralise the rust in the meantime. Sadly Emma does not stay with us and being a teacher has very little spare time. It's now the wrong side of summer but hopefully I'll get a day one weekend that is dry to inject wax into the cavities and do the outside of the subframes etc.
I cant wait till MG gets of their butts and come up with a decision that may not even be the right one.

Sadly I think they actually may dissapear but my daughter has a 5 year finance deal and buying another car is not on the cards let alone Corsa's which be both can't stand.
I'll do the work when I can.
Be aware anyone with an MG3...... NEVER skimp on servicing, use quality properly specced oil and for Gods sake halve the oil change mileage or time.

Some may laugh but....... Fiat had a bad reputation for rust, not now and although the 319 (2004-2011) Panda had issues with the rear beam the 2012+ Panda has addressed this issue and is now reckoned to be one of the longest lasting in respect to body and "chassis" on the market. The difference between mine and so many other cars of its age is quite revealing.
Ask Jim Jamieson about his Jag and his lads Merc!!!!!

Last edited by murphyv310; 13th August 2017 at 18:42..
murphyv310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 09:38   #16
neilb740

MG ZT 1.8

Quote:
Some may laugh but....... Fiat had a bad reputation for rust, not now and although the 319 (2004-2011) Panda had issues with the rear beam the 2012+ Panda has addressed this issue and is now reckoned to be one of the longest lasting in respect to body and "chassis" on the market. The difference between mine and so many other cars of its age is quite revealing.
Ask Jim Jamieson about his Jag and his lads Merc!!!!!
I remember something in the motoring press about the new C.E.O taking over at Fiat.
A large and no nonsense man, he apparently went to a meeting with his design team and said "if the next car rusts or falls apart you will be getting a visit" lol

I guess they didn't want to end up sleeping with the fishes!

Last edited by neilb740; 14th August 2017 at 09:40..
neilb740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 14:17   #17
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilb740 View Post
I remember something in the motoring press about the new C.E.O taking over at Fiat.
A large and no nonsense man, he apparently went to a meeting with his design team and said "if the next car rusts or falls apart you will be getting a visit" lol

I guess they didn't want to end up sleeping with the fishes!
Does anyone recall the Fiat Strada TV adds " Hand built by robots "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fXV6KzhBbM

We used to say yeah and driven by Italians..
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2017, 11:00   #18
timspencer
Gets stuck in

MG ZTT

Its all down to cost I'm afraid, at least the MG3 is good value, where as a Rangey isn't.

You do have a corrosion warranty though.

As for timing chains, that was an issue on earlier cars, hopefully now sorted.
timspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2017, 11:23   #19
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanks Tim.
Do you know when the timing chain issue was resolved as Emma's car is a July 2015 car?
Old 15th August 2017, 16:45   #20
cumbriakevin
Regular poster

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by timspencer View Post
Its all down to cost I'm afraid, at least the MG3 is good value, where as a Rangey isn't.

You do have a corrosion warranty though.

As for timing chains, that was an issue on earlier cars, hopefully now sorted.
Hello Tim, I've pm'd you re the Rover for sale. I can't reply on the For Sale thread as I guess I don't have enough posts or similar. Mods, if this is not allowed, I apologise and please delete. No harm intended, I just want to let Tim know that I'm interested in a car he has for sale. Many thanks. Kevin.
cumbriakevin is offline   Reply With Quote