Notices

Old 20th March 2021, 19:11   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Help me please, watching recordings BT Updated

I do not understand.

I recoded a number of programs a year ago onto my BT Youview box.
This last week I have had no access to my BT TV package.

I have watched a number of programs this week that I had recorded.
For some reason I cannot watch Air Crash Investigation that was recorded about a year ago.

Spoke to BT and they say I need to be connected to my BT package via broadband to watch the recordings that are on my Youview box.

I do not understand why and they could not explain in a way I could understand except to say I need to be connected to my BT package via broadband to watch the recordings that are on my Youview box.

It is as if I have an icon on my Youview box and the recording is held elsewhere.

What purpose does the BB play in watching recordings?

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 27th March 2021 at 07:15..
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2021, 22:34   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I do not understand.

I recoded a number of programs a year ago onto my BT Youview box.
This last week I have had no access to my BT TV package.

I have watched a number of programs this week that I had recorded.
For some reason I cannot watch Air Crash Investigation that was recorded about a year ago.

Spoke to BT and they say I need to be connected to my BT package via broadband to watch the recordings that are on my Youview box.

I do not understand why and they could not explain in a way I could understand except to say I need to be connected to my BT package via broadband to watch the recordings that are on my Youview box.

It is as if I have an icon on my Youview box and the recording is held elsewhere.

What purpose does the BB play in watching recordings?

macafee2
Think of it this way;

you rent a service, and stop paying for this rental, you no longer have access to this service.

The service though is not access to the programming, but rather the access to the software that operates the programming, ie video footage. Let's call this MPEG4BT.

All the video is downloaded in MPEG4BT format and is available to view whilst you pay for the licensing of the MPEG4BT software.

The Youview box has firmware or an operating system. It seeks permissions to operate the software via BT/TalkTalk/Sky etc (ie checks that you have paid for the bill/subscription). This used to be governed via a card, but I believe it is software driven now. This permission is not forthcoming, so blocks access to the software to play the footage stored on the hard drive.

It is a similar business model that some software companies use now to protect copyright (Adobe, MS Office etc).

I realise that it looks like you have a failed/faulty service rather than a cancelled subscription, but the principle would still apply for certain faults.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2021, 15:09   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Think of it this way;

you rent a service, and stop paying for this rental, you no longer have access to this service.

The service though is not access to the programming, but rather the access to the software that operates the programming, ie video footage. Let's call this MPEG4BT.

All the video is downloaded in MPEG4BT format and is available to view whilst you pay for the licensing of the MPEG4BT software.

The Youview box has firmware or an operating system. It seeks permissions to operate the software via BT/TalkTalk/Sky etc (ie checks that you have paid for the bill/subscription). This used to be governed via a card, but I believe it is software driven now. This permission is not forthcoming, so blocks access to the software to play the footage stored on the hard drive.

It is a similar business model that some software companies use now to protect copyright (Adobe, MS Office etc).

I realise that it looks like you have a failed/faulty service rather than a cancelled subscription, but the principle would still apply for certain faults.

ok that makes sense, wtf the BT naughty word could not have explained it in that sort of way. I now feel ripped off, I paid once and now need to pay again. I would have thought paying at the outset the check would be done to make sure I am entitled to record.
I will have to see if there is anything in the terms and conditions but I will probably find them so hard to read I'll give up.

Appreciate an explanation I can understand. Thank you

macafee2
Old 21st March 2021, 17:58   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
ok that makes sense, wtf the BT naughty word could not have explained it in that sort of way. I now feel ripped off, I paid once and now need to pay again. I would have thought paying at the outset the check would be done to make sure I am entitled to record.
I will have to see if there is anything in the terms and conditions but I will probably find them so hard to read I'll give up.

Appreciate an explanation I can understand. Thank you

macafee2
you do have the 'right' to record, but only for personal use, and record only using BT's software. BT will have paid royalties to the original program makers/broadcasters, and they will transfer some of those albeit limited rights based upon what their (BT) rights and conditions were.

These no doubt would have had some kind of proviso that the end user (you) could not easily download (record), to keep, or distribute elsewhere. This is where the software (MPEG4BT) would come in.

BT (sky etc) own the rights to the software the programs play on, Universal (or BBC etc) own the copyright to the film/program, and you own the right to use the equipment whilst you pay for that use. It would be unreasonable to expect the end user to store a film to watch a long time later - I would suggest a month would be a reasonable amount of time.

I am sure you could obtain a program (they are called codecs, and or containers, but to keep it straightforward, call it a program) to play it, or a converter to play it. Then you could remove the hard drive from the YouView box and plug it into a computer. I have done this with a Sky box, and could see the programs that were recorded, but nothing would play them. I never looked into it though.

By doing it this way, it gives the supplier (BT, Sky etc) the ability to control the content and satisfy the original copyright holders. Also a little leverage for them to 'hold' onto you as a customer.

Incidentally, once you stop paying Sky (and TalkTalk) for their service, whilst you can watch basic service, you can no longer record.

Old 21st March 2021, 19:49   #5
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

I'm with Virgin Media. I recently accepted a deal which involved adding Sky Cinema to my package (among other things), so I can now record lots of HD movies from Sky .

Thing is though, if I were to drop Sky Cinema from my package, I'll still have all the recordings, but I wouldn't be able to watch them, even though I still have a Virgin Media package. It's for checks such as this that the broadband link is required.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2021, 16:39   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
you do have the 'right' to record, but only for personal use, and record only using BT's software. BT will have paid royalties to the original program makers/broadcasters, and they will transfer some of those albeit limited rights based upon what their (BT) rights and conditions were.

These no doubt would have had some kind of proviso that the end user (you) could not easily download (record), to keep, or distribute elsewhere. This is where the software (MPEG4BT) would come in.

BT (sky etc) own the rights to the software the programs play on, Universal (or BBC etc) own the copyright to the film/program, and you own the right to use the equipment whilst you pay for that use. It would be unreasonable to expect the end user to store a film to watch a long time later - I would suggest a month would be a reasonable amount of time.

I am sure you could obtain a program (they are called codecs, and or containers, but to keep it straightforward, call it a program) to play it, or a converter to play it. Then you could remove the hard drive from the YouView box and plug it into a computer. I have done this with a Sky box, and could see the programs that were recorded, but nothing would play them. I never looked into it though.

By doing it this way, it gives the supplier (BT, Sky etc) the ability to control the content and satisfy the original copyright holders. Also a little leverage for them to 'hold' onto you as a customer.

Incidentally, once you stop paying Sky (and TalkTalk) for their service, whilst you can watch basic service, you can no longer record.
everyone has been paid, I paid BT, they paid royalties etc etc.
As far as I m concerned I paid to record the program and store it. I should not be time limited to when I watch it.
Why do you think unreasonable to store for a long time, I paid for it? I want to watch stuff that I recorded a year ago as I now have the time.
What if I want to take the set top box on holiday and watch stuff I recorded while I am away?

Hopefully next week I will be able to watch it as I will be connected to BT broadband and I do have a package with them. If I cant then rightly or wrongly I will complain to BT and not some knob in a call centre. I have nothing to lose by complaining

macafee2
Old 23rd March 2021, 01:18   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
everyone has been paid, I paid BT, they paid royalties etc etc.
As far as I m concerned I paid to record the program and store it. I should not be time limited to when I watch it.
Why do you think unreasonable to store for a long time, I paid for it? I want to watch stuff that I recorded a year ago as I now have the time.
macafee2
Ultimately, as far as you are concerned is of no issue with BT or the copyright owner. They will only be concerned with their terms and conditions. There will be some mention of availability, whilst paying, stated within the terms and conditions. You do not have the right to 'store' it, for an 'unreasonable' amount of time, unless you 'buy' it as you can in some systems.

The idea behind recording the TV show/film, is to allow you to watch another channel or while you are unable to, and then watch the recorded show at a more convenient time. It is not to keep the TV show/film for an indeterminate amount of time (hence the reasonable consideration), as this would mean a loss in sales of movies or in the case of a TV show, potential lost revenue from advertising (if you record it, keep it, then ignore it when it is repeated, advertising revenue of the repeated show is lost).

You do NOT have the right to keep the TV show/movie, those rights will be covered I am sure in the terms and conditions. It was the same as having a VHS recorder. You did not even have the right to record a show, to watch it at a later date, but to pursue this would have been impossible, and bad publicity. You were expected to not keep it after watched though, nor were you permitted to lend it to a friend or a colleague.

The same applies with CDs, albums, pre-recorded tapes or even computer games, (except for multiple use as these are original recordings) however you are permitted to make a single back up copy of an original recording, for back up purposes. Broadcast TV show/movie is not an original recording to you (think back to the early days of downloading, Napster etc, the lawyers initially went after the source of the uploads - I copy a DVD, upload it, and a million people download it, I would be the one they would have chased after rather than the million who downloaded it).

Quote:

What if I want to take the set top box on holiday and watch stuff I recorded while I am away?

macafee2
As long as the set top box remains in the territory you have signed up in (UK) I could not see an issue with this, providing you are still paying for your BT subscription, even if it is played on another broadband provider line (although that may be part of the terms and conditions, from the copyright owner, that it will only work if using a BT service - ie allowing BT to retain control thereby preventing you 'distributing' it illegally). Taking it abroad, would be breaching BT's terms with the copyright owner, I am sure. Particularly if a show was yet to be released in that territory.

There are issues with certain regional programming though (STV, or ITV London etc), but I do not think this would be an issue on a recorded program. To explain this, I can access some english regional ITV stations, but some will display a message saying this is not available in your region. To overcome this, I have to reprogram my TV and change the broadcasting region to one of that particular region, via postcode. It is a common issue in Northern Ireland, as we have access to a lot southern irish tv (RTE). Some football matches are broadcast live on RTE simultaneously as Sky/BT Sport, but if your TV is set up as Northern Irish/UK, then it blocks the signal. Another off the top of my head, I cannot watch repeats (!) of Mrs.Brown's Boys on RTE, the screen goes blank! These issues are due to the broadcasting rights, Sky, BT Sport or BBC etc - there are ways around this though, by using different aerials or transmitters etc. My father's TV is set up in this way as a legacy from the analogue broadcasting.

This is digressing though, but the principles apply, and in your case it ultimately comes down to BT being able to control how their programs are managed.

Quote:

Hopefully next week I will be able to watch it as I will be connected to BT broadband and I do have a package with them. If I cant then rightly or wrongly I will complain to BT and not some knob in a call centre. I have nothing to lose by complaining

macafee2
I could see no reason for this to be an issue, unless they specify time constraints on their programming, they no longer have a partnership with the copyright holder, or have updated their software/codecs. This actually happens though in some catch up shows on iPLayer et al, being only available for certain periods of time. But since your particular scenario, would only affect a small number of customers, I would imagine that there would be no consideration to this.

Old 23rd March 2021, 11:47   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Re Air crash investigations, the series I cannot currently watch the recording used to cut off the last "10" seconds.
I complained to BT, they referred me to Youview who referred me to National Geographic the broadcaster. National Geographic fixed it but guess what and this is what always makes me smile, they told me "I was the only one to complain" but of course, it would have effected others. My retort is that there was only one Concorde crash, they did not wait for a second before they fixed the problem.
Someone has to be first to raise the issue.

macafee2
Old 23rd March 2021, 14:08   #9
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Re Air crash investigations, the series I cannot currently watch the recording used to cut off the last "10" seconds.
I complained to BT, they referred me to Youview who referred me to National Geographic the broadcaster. National Geographic fixed it but guess what and this is what always makes me smile, they told me "I was the only one to complain" but of course, it would have effected others. My retort is that there was only one Concorde crash, they did not wait for a second before they fixed the problem.
Someone has to be first to raise the issue.

macafee2
The Concorde program issue is a quality one, based upon a service and expectations. The recording access is a legal issue, and one that I bet will be covered in depth if you care to look at the full terms and conditions of use and service.

These terms will also have precedent set too, based upon terms of copyright and distribution claims. As the distributor BT could be liable to prosecution from the copyright owner if you, the end user, 'kept' a TV show/movie indefinitely, if they did not take measures to control the content provided. The copyright owner would lose money on a sale of a DVD (or whatever media the content could be sold as).

These issues have been around since recording devices have been available (be it cassettes or video recorders), but exploded in the early days of the internet and downloading.

Your recent request for downloading tools from YouTube, could also land you in a legal minefield too. For instance, if you stumbled upon a video on my youtube channel, downloaded to your hard drive, I can then pursue you for theft, because I did not agree to that (the same applies to images in most instances, saved to your hard drive)

If you then uploaded it to your own channel (theft), or even just showed it using Windows Media player to a family member (distribution), without permission from me, (theoretically) I could pursue you for breach of copyright. This is because I did not agree to it being broadcast on a platform I did not consent to. I could also pursue YouTube for being complicit by not preventing the ability to download content (although they probably have this sown up to prevent that).

It is not illegal to have the software to download from Youtube, in some cases it may even be legal to actually use it (though I think it would breach Youtube's terms). This is the principle that applies to torrent downloads. It was not illegal to use torrents, however it was illegal to upload and download someone else's content via torrent programs, without their consent. This is what essentially BT/YouView is.

You effectively download content from BT, who have sought permission from the copyright owners to share it under agreed to terms. BT are under an obligation to protect this content. By you storing it, to watch multiple times is preventing the copyright owner from making money from a proper sale (although some artists will complain that it prevents the content being displayed in the quality it was meant to be, and therefore cheapening their content and ability). The time factor comes in as a means of control, the 'reasonable' amount of time will come down to good sense determined by courts (which in this instance reasonable in my mind, would be a month, unless demonstrated that it was not practical to watch within that amount of time, but surely one could find a spare hour to watch a TV show, during a month?). If you save something to watch in six months, who is to say that you did not watch it 6 times and therefore the copyright owner is losing money because of this (an example of this is a cinema). By exerting the control via codec or programs it allows BT to retain the ability to comply with their obligation to the copyright holder. You are not allowed to use a video camera in a cinema for the same reasons, but you can have one on your person.

Old 27th March 2021, 07:40   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Having completed the house move and connected my BT Youview box to my BT hub which in turn is connected to BT broadband I still could not watch Air Crash Investigation but worse, oh yes it got worse. I could not watch anything that was part of my subscription such as BT sport. I could watch it via my PC but not via the Freeview box.
I called BT but they could not revolve the problem and passed it to TCM? As I did not receive a call back after about 6 hours I called BT again.

I was told that BT no longer has a licence to broadcast National Geographic, the channel that broadcast Air Crash Investigation and that is why I cannot watch Air Crash Investigation which is what clf said. My issue with that is that I paid BT, BT paid National Geographic so both have made their profit but I cannot watch what I paid for.
In truth as far as I am concerned I should be able to watch the program when I want, I paid for it.

I was offered £10 compensation which I said was an insult. BT pointed out that with my then package there was a lot for me to watch and it was only a fraction of the package I could not now see. I pointed out that I pay for BT sport and there is a lot of sport to watch yet I only watch the Liverpool matches, my choice but I pay for the whole package just for that little part. They offered £20 compensation. I said I'd prefer to watch the recordings and that they spanned 5 months. they offered £50 compensation, I think that is the cost of the package for 5 months. As I was never going to get to watch the programs I agreed. I'd still prefer to watch Air Crash Investigation then have the money.

Now to solve the second problem, unable to watch what I'm paying for via freeview box. BT offered compensation for this but I turned it down, BT had provided me with additional free internet access for 3 months so I was able to watch BT sport at my previous address on my laptop so I was able to watch what I was paying for.

Get a call from TMC? it seems back in December when the house move order was placed they messed it up and the chap had spent hours yesterday fixing it.
Thank goodness I did not turn the Freeview box on 5 minutes before a Liverpool match.

Important lesson learnt about subscription TV.
I see National Geographic are again broadcasting Air Crash Investigation via subscription but it cannot be recorded.

FWIW, I am not aware that any Freeview channels have a time limit on when I watch a recording.

Although it seems I have gotten to the bottom of the issue I have not got the result I wanted.

thank you clf for explaining at the outset what the problem was, you were right.

macafee2