Notices

Closed Thread

Old 28th August 2010, 06:44   #11
Barnowlnoddy
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Conn Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! If you look ahead and "anticipate" what is going on ahead you should always be in the right gear and at the right speed

When I took my test (1955) the examiner had to look for the driver being in the right gear at the right time. This was also a mention in the Police manual. - In those times there were still a lot of cars around without brake lights.
There's nothing more annoying than following somebody who brakes at every bump in the road, or who sees a Speed Camera ahead, especially at night!
Barnowlnoddy.
Old 8th July 2011, 16:00   #12
carlpenn
This is my second home

2000 Wedgey Blue 2.5V6 Beauty

Driving while using a Mobile Phone is still a growing problem, only yesterday I was behind a woman driving an Audi TT and she was blabbing on her phone, her braking was late constantly as her mind was on the phone more than the road, her driving line was horrendous too, on 3 occasions she crossed the white lines for no reason other than she wasn't paying attention. She then got in the wrong lane at the traffic lights and would have cut me up if I had not been holding back as a matter of caution.

It's time to toughen up the Fine and Points for using a Mobile whilst driving, even more so, you should have your phone confiscated until you pay the fine. Maybe that will stop them from doing it.

Oh and no, I don't use my Mobile whilst driving, I call them back, while I am still alive or not arrested for dangerous driving after causing an accident, at the end of my Journey
Old 16th July 2011, 14:47   #13
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvy View Post
I use gear braking just so I can be in the right gear for any given speed.
It's also more fuel efficient
Also wears out your clutch much faster and with the R75 this is something you DON'T want.
Gears are for 'going' and brakes are for 'stopping'

THAT IS WHAT THEY WERE DESIGNED for.

You do know, don't you, that you can be in the right gear for any given speed without using your gears as brakes ???

Last edited by COLVERT; 25th August 2011 at 20:32..
Old 23rd November 2011, 07:15   #14
Barnowlnoddy
Avid contributor

I agree - Driving Instructors are the worst drivers. I regularly come across; one....... at all times is engaged reading whilst his pupil is careering all over the highway. Changing lanes without any prior indication etc. etc. BSM is the name on the car!
Bad Start Motorist should be on the leaners licence.
Old 23rd November 2011, 07:27   #15
Barnowlnoddy
Avid contributor

Yes, one should be in the right gear at all times - but being so will not increase wear on any clutch. The clutch should already be engaged to allow such de-acceleration to cause braking effort in the gear chosen. Slipping the clutch is the cause of most wear problems.Try driving an Auto, and this will change down repeatedly, which should illustrate this effect; without the disaster?
Old 21st December 2017, 19:34   #16
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnowlnoddy View Post
Yes, one should be in the right gear at all times - but being so will not increase wear on any clutch. The clutch should already be engaged to allow such de-acceleration to cause braking effort in the gear chosen. Slipping the clutch is the cause of most wear problems.Try driving an Auto, and this will change down repeatedly, which should illustrate this effect; without the disaster?
The wear I was talking about was wear to the Slave Cylinder which tends to be the first item to fail with heavy use. ( unfortunately this means the gearbox off and cost lots of money.)---

In fact to keep wear off this item I tend to use first ,third and fifth gears on the move, on fairly flat roads.------------
Old 21st December 2017, 22:25   #17
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnowlnoddy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
The wear I was talking about was wear to the Slave Cylinder which tends to be the first item to fail with heavy use. ( unfortunately this means the gearbox off and cost lots of money.)---

In fact to keep wear off this item I tend to use first ,third and fifth gears on the move, on fairly flat roads.------------
That's what I call a considered response - 6 years and 28 days of considering!
Old 22nd December 2017, 03:11   #18
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Aurora MG - Andrew Stevens convicted on 10 March 2017 of raping a child aged 13 and other sex offences against children. A name I thought I would never see on the forum ever again. With so many other threads to discuss on the forum, can a mod please close the thread.

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 22nd December 2017 at 03:18..
Closed Thread