Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th February 2020, 22:47   #1
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

Default Noticed a drop off in the Rover 75 on the British roads these last few weeks

Any one else noticed the Rover 75/MG ZT cars dwindling on the roads lately? the last one i saw was on the Jan 10th 2020..... normally see a couple everyday, but over the past ten days, nothing past me at all..... aware they are getting old now, but these are fine machines....
are you seeing a drop off??
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2020, 23:13   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde faithful View Post
Any one else noticed the Rover 75/MG ZT cars dwindling on the roads lately? the last one i saw was on the Jan 10th 2020..... normally see a couple everyday, but over the past ten days, nothing past me at all..... aware they are getting old now, but these are fine machines....
are you seeing a drop off??
They are old, the newest ones are approaching 15 years now, they are not always necessarily loved or cherished, and can be tricky to source quality parts to maintain them, or otherwise.

Sometimes even when you have the equipment, tools and knowledge to repair them yourself, it does not always present itself as the best use of your time to do so.

A vehicle with an originally expected service life of six to eight years, they have done well to survive as long as they have, but they will become increasingly rarer sights on the road, as have many others that have gone before them.

I'm looking to replace my wife's car imminently, as it is rapidly becoming a maintenance liability, and I feel she deserves something a little nicer to drive as her daily.

My own ZT will be replaced shortly afterwards with something a little more practical as a workhorse, in all likelihood a VW Caddy van.

I'll hang onto one 75 as a sunny day and show car, but the days of running multiple R40 are for me, are soon to be behind me.

This comes from a diehard fan of the brand, and an enthusiast.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2020, 23:24   #3
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

I drove 1500 miles around Scotland up the west side , along the top and back down the east side a few weeks ago and I was the only 75 on the road it seems. Last week I toured the Lakes and saw a 75 coming towards me on the A595 near Seascale so I waved but I was ignored as usual . Today I spotted a blue ZTT at McDonalds at Thinford near Durham but that is a very rare sight to see another these days .
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2020, 23:25   #4
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
They are old, the newest ones are approaching 15 years now, they are not always necessarily loved or cherished, and can be tricky to source quality parts to maintain them, or otherwise.

Sometimes even when you have the equipment, tools and knowledge to repair them yourself, it does not always present itself as the best use of your time to do so.

A vehicle with an originally expected service life of six to eight years, they have done well to survive as long as they have, but they will become increasingly rarer sights on the road, as have many others that have gone before them.

I'm looking to replace my wife's car imminently, as it is rapidly becoming a maintenance liability, and I feel she deserves something a little nicer to drive as her daily.

My own ZT will be replaced shortly afterwards with something a little more practical as a workhorse, in all likelihood a VW Caddy van.

I'll hang onto one 75 as a sunny day and show car, but the days of running multiple R40 are for me, are soon to be behind me.

This comes from a diehard fan of the brand, and an enthusiast.

Brian
Yes Brian you are most likely right!! just the hard core or not far off now!! even the national autotrader a year ago was showing 100 plus R75 for sale now a little over 50 cars per week over GB, not many at all really.

I have two R75 cars left and a Rover 45/Rover streetwise and a MGTF, The fleet is rotated around, but one car stays on the road all year around R75 Tourer, that stays in constant use. Currently my R45/MGTF are mothballed and the R75/Rover streetwise and Jag XJ are in use.....

But aware like you MGR days are numbered, however R75 Tourer is for keeps...its like my own settee molded around me personally.
Sad days when no more Rover products are not seen.

I just cannot get my head around why Jaguar ( who own the Rover brand now) don't just knock out a new Rover 75 saloon.. im sure it would sell... questions questions
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2020, 09:01   #5
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

They are getting scarce. I’m impressed by one member on here who still runs 3 in perfect working order.
Occasionally I see the tourer I posted up on the “was it you” section and it is as expected looking like a total shed now.
I now run just the MGTF as I made some hard nosed decisions after taking redundancy last October.
Daily runner is a Peugeot 308 SW diesel and my wife has a BMW 3 series. Mainstream, reliable and very foreign!

The Honda plant in Swindon will be empty soon. Anyone think another car maker will take it on?
Old 21st February 2020, 09:36   #6
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

As I see it, the ones you will see will be mostly well kept enthusiastically owned cars, and very few “daily drivers”. Although I do expect to see the odd taxi or minicab 75 tourer, I expect to see the 75 2.5 & 2.0 V6 autos dwindle as daily drivers quicker than perhaps the diesel variants due to the tax bracket and the fuel economy, but I guess this will lead to a rise in price for well-kept good clean examples.

For me sometimes it’s the stories behind the cars that are just as important as the cars themselves and the friendships we have made, the memories will always be with us no matter what.
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2020, 09:52   #7
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Last Wednesday was a proper see the 75 day in Boro.
Funnily enough all MK 1's.
Starlight silver that lives just down the road from me.
White gold tourer I pass very often on Levick Crescent
Wedge wood saloon who followed me along the A1085 for a couple of miles.
Dark blue tourer on Eston High St
Another Wedgewood on the A171 travelling towards Ormesby.

There are times though, none apart from the first two I listed.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2020, 09:55   #8
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I'm guessing that the "footfall" on here is dwindling too, as they become "rarer"! Ooooh! did I say that word? Must have been reading too many optimistic adverts! I've looked at alrenatives but as long as I can still do the annual MOT crawl around, I'll keep on Rovering. I shall never let my beloved car into the hands of a "yoof" who will no doubt tell me that "They all do that" or "You can't bet the bits mate", so it looks like a proper Viking burial for me!
Old 21st February 2020, 10:15   #9
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Iv seen a few this week. 2 up Rochdale area and a nice tourer that was out side th café on Road five at Winsford. I should have stopped and asked if he wanted to sell it. It was on personnel plates ending in DEN if my memory was right.... Mine in a few days time is 16 years old. Iv owned it for 9 years. Iv logged everything iv done to it and running wise parts and some labour its cost me 4114 qwid so far that's consumable's included. Wife is retyreing in October or May next year and old faithful will be going and we become a one car family.. Its been my daily driver and th odd continental blast. It starts stops and goooos and th paint is thin and car park rash from work but is solid with no tin worm. It'll be a sad day when it goes... Replacement possibles.. Kia E Niro, Mazda CX5, Skoda Superb Klemonte, Seat Leon FR estate or DEN's tourer....!!!!
Old 21st February 2020, 10:23   #10
BigJohn
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde faithful View Post

But aware like you MGR days are numbered, however R75 Tourer is for keeps...its like my own settee molded around me personally.
Sad days when no more Rover products are not seen.

I just cannot get my head around why Jaguar ( who own the Rover brand now) don't just knock out a new Rover 75 saloon.. im sure it would sell... questions questions
Sadly I think the Rover brand has little importance to most of today's car buyers, any that do mention Rover misguidedly add the phrase Head Gasket Failure in the same sentence. The 'Rover' brand has little value to Jaguar other than its link and protection of the Land Rover brand; Jaguar would rather market compact Jaguar saloons like the XE than resurrect the Rover brand. It has sadly joined the likes of Wolseley, Riley, Austin and many others. As a MG fan from the age of 5/6 who could tell the difference between an MGC and an MGB it saddens me where the brand is now but at least it is still alive and I dream of them producing sports car again. Sadly I think that will remain a dream
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote