Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd May 2009, 17:35   #11
nuts75
Gets stuck in

Mgzt

hi ,jp53.mines done. 91.000.had a uprated headgasket done at 65.000.headskim .waterpump timing belt ,new bolts receipts for 720...runs fantastic,.hi barry how are you.and your 75., i think my freind im going to take your advice and keep away.bills like that nobody needs . and no still havent got fogs sorted..but bob WOOLySOX has kindly donated a switch for me to try so will be trying tomorrow .. fingers crossed .. nuts75
Old 23rd May 2009, 17:40   #12
Thomas
This is my second home

MG6 1.8T GT SE

x-types are common for tyre wear on inner edges (again set up for high speed stabilty) door latches and rods,suspension wear on every suspension joint, on diesels the high pressure fuel pumps go ten a penny (expensive) on petrols the ignition coils go faulty (misfire) and also they are common for transfer boxes becoming noisy (replacment only) they are also common for water ingress (everywhere) and dual mass flywheel failures are very very common, the automatic is ok for reliability but has all the smoothness of a lame duck, the diesels again are common for wiring faults at the mass airflow sensor and all models suffer chaffed wiring,the newer 2.2 diesels are very common for a misfire at 60mph-70mph which they have never got to the bottom off and appears to be more common on cars that do a high motorway mileage, egr valves fail and become clogged and also the turbos can go faulty an s type is a better bet but all models can be expensive repairs, the best jag to go for is the aluminium xj or xk much better cars !
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 17:41   #13
nuts75
Gets stuck in

Mgzt

hi thomas 1983.thanks for that info . i think im going to keep my 75.still got the luxury and comfort.and because its a 1.8 not the expensive fuel bill lol...thanks guys ,decision made .....nuts75
Old 23rd May 2009, 17:47   #14
beejay
Retired

Rover 75, 04 Connie SE Auto. 2.5

Thumbs up Fog lights

I have similar problem with mine, have fitted everything but the wiring loom, have got it, but having only one arm...........its difficult to hold one end and fit the other

Will have to put in garage and pay the costs, other than that the car is fine only 69000 miles and running sweetly.

Another thing guys sorted out the 'Pulling left' with the 8th alignment check by local company.

Cheers,
Barry
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 18:49   #15
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1983 View Post
x-types are common for tyre wear on inner edges (again set up for high speed stabilty) door latches and rods,suspension wear on every suspension joint, on diesels the high pressure fuel pumps go ten a penny (expensive) on petrols the ignition coils go faulty (misfire) and also they are common for transfer boxes becoming noisy (replacment only) they are also common for water ingress (everywhere) and dual mass flywheel failures are very very common, the automatic is ok for reliability but has all the smoothness of a lame duck, the diesels again are common for wiring faults at the mass airflow sensor and all models suffer chaffed wiring,the newer 2.2 diesels are very common for a misfire at 60mph-70mph which they have never got to the bottom off and appears to be more common on cars that do a high motorway mileage, egr valves fail and become clogged and also the turbos can go faulty an s type is a better bet but all models can be expensive repairs, the best jag to go for is the aluminium xj or xk much better cars !
well you have done your homework...get you at the fort in the morning
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 19:17   #16
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

I think it's best to stay away from the 4.0 V8 Jag engine. Heard some horror stories of pistons picking up.

I got to drive a few of these a few years back. Have to say they were very nice cars. Much better than the X-type IMO. Would think it will hurt the pocket a bit more though.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 21:14   #17
Fraser Mitchell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Club Auto

I am also in the Jag Enthusiasts Club, and the message I get is that it is best to avoid the S-type before 2002, as it was seriously flawed until Jaguar finally sorted it out. The 3 litre V6, is however an excellent engine, its just all the bits that surround it that are the trouble. One particular peculiarity is the main rear suspension arm made of aluminium. One of the pressed-in bushes is a regular fail, but Jaguar will not supply the £10 bush, only the whole arm for about £350. Nice if both sides have gone !! Jaguar claim this is because of "safety considerations" - cash more likely.

Post-2003 cars are fine, my next door neighbour has a 2004 one, and is very pleased with it, and it has been very reliable and no trouble at all.

I still like my 75, though, which has the same size of engine, and layout (V6)
Fraser Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 00:05   #18
Chris Broughton
Loves to post

2003 Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connie SE + Projectors ,Chrome Grille +Hi Line Nav,Walnut Kit,Sunroof.

WELL DONE THAT MAN THE RIGHT DECISION.

PS I'm sick of people asking me if I like my JAG

aLL THE BEST
Chris
Chris Broughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 01:56   #19
Rob75
Gets stuck in

Jaguar

ahhh a thread about jags i can finally spam in!

Yes as others have said the early s type isnt a good car, the build quilty isn't very good atall and gear boxes do pack up on the 3.0 v6 and v8 models, and then theres the problems with faulty coils, tps and bonnet catches that fail due to seizing up and putting the bonnet through the windscreen, not many s type owners know that so if theres any on here for god sake clean and grease the bonnet catches!

If you want a nice jag go for a xj40 like i've got or a x300, the old aj6/aj16 engines are bullet proof.

Old 24th May 2009, 04:51   #20
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Buy a mk3 Ford Mondeo or a Volvo S60, basically the same cars with various components etc swoped over, hell, even the dash switch boards on the pre 2002 are volvo spares.

Nice car to drive having drive the 3.0 myself, BUT not worth the expense. If your buying a Jag, buy one of the diesel ones, nice engine to drive and the market is filled with ex rep mobiles now slashing prices in the current climate.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote