Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd August 2009, 19:18   #1
seamaster

rover 75 diesel saloon

Default CD player not recognising CDs

My rover 75 cd player will sometimes play a cd with no problems...but then it will not play the same cd again and the pannel states that it is not recognised...can anyone help please?
Thank you!
seamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 00:35   #2
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

I would guess it is the laser lense, or it is not spinning up due to a motor fault, but there are a number of other causes. You could try a lense cleaning cd as the lense is upward facing and may have picked up something. However this rarely works and I doubt very much if it will as it is intermittent, indicating something is on the verge of complete failure. I doubt if yu would be able to get the parts that may be expensive if you could. If it is OEM you may find replacement is the only option

I am assuming that the CD is not marked, and it does the same with all your CD's and none of them are marked

Last edited by Devilish; 24th August 2009 at 00:37..
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 00:45   #3
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

I had the same problem very recently! But -- I cleaned all the discs, and checked that all the drawers work quite freely today, and so far, *touches wood* it is now working ok again..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 01:09   #4
Rob75
Gets stuck in

Jaguar

I used to have the same problem on mine, i cleaned all the cd's and took appart the changer and greased every moving part. I never had anymore problems right up untill the day i sold her. Alough i think the problem was more to do with dirt on the cd's, i just went overkill by stripping the changer to it's component parts!
Old 24th August 2009, 12:29   #5
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

A CD player will spin up and check the disc for errors before it attempts to play it, so all it needs is a tiny flaw anywhere on the disc. In certain lighting conditions (such as incandescent and flourescent), marks that may prevent a player from recognising a disc can be difficult to see. It may look shiny and mirror like, even though it is covered in scratches.

I would sugest making a copy of a CD that will not play (if it is duff the reader may not read it to copy it), or burn some WAV files to a CD to test the player. Or buy a new CD and play it a few times.
Old 27th August 2009, 07:09   #6
seamaster

rover 75 diesel saloon

Default Thank You guys

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply! I will try these tips!
seamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 12:21   #7
Departed
Retired

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilish View Post
A CD player will spin up and check the disc for errors before it attempts to play it, so all it needs is a tiny flaw anywhere on the disc. In certain lighting conditions (such as incandescent and flourescent), marks that may prevent a player from recognising a disc can be difficult to see. It may look shiny and mirror like, even though it is covered in scratches.

I would sugest making a copy of a CD that will not play (if it is duff the reader may not read it to copy it), or burn some WAV files to a CD to test the player. Or buy a new CD and play it a few times.
It won't check the whole disc for errors. It would take too long.

They spin the disc up and check the lead in and TOC, to prove that the laser can focus and track on the disc. The lead in contains the track listing info, so if it can't read that, you will struggle.

If there is damage in this area, and it is borderline, once the disc has started it will play all through (assuming no other errors) but may fail next time it tries to read the TOC.

This is the centre of the disc (they start in the middle unlike Vinyl for those who remember LPs) so check this for scratches or dirt.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 14:44   #8
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Fairly common problem with the CD changer is that the load mechanism of the CD's sticks, and will not allow the discs to be loaded far enough to be checked.

Solution is to remove the autochanger and take the top off the case. clean and re-grease the load mechanism, temporarily refit the plug to check for correct operation, then re-assemble and refit.

Sticking in a lens cleaner won't harm either.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote