Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd June 2022, 13:26   #1
JohnnyBG
Avid contributor

ZT-T

Default Towing electrics failure - recommendation needed for auto electrician

Hi All

The towing electrics on the 2004 ZT-T cdti don't work. I need to do some towing (motorcycle trailer) 8 July. My usual garage's auto electrician is away until 14 July.

I'm happy doing spannering but paint, trim and electrics always go wrong for me. I've looked at threads following a search but not confident.

Has anyone a recommendation for Teesside area, I'm near Stokesley. I'm nervous having spent quite a bit on respray of the rear bumper, a smart job, I don't want it getting stuffed up.

Cheers

JohnnyBG
JohnnyBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2022, 16:16   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

The towing electrics on a CDTI are a piece of cake. As our cars are "old" there is no complicated electrics.

There is no order to checking

check the fuse and power take off point that is probably in the passenger footwell.
Do bear in mind it/they may or may not be ignition live.
The power for the towing electrics may be piggy backed off another fuse. There may be more then 1 fuse but it will be in the same area and depending if the towing electrics are wired for a caravan or a trailer with just road lights

If it seems power is being sent to the to the towing electrics find the relay at the back of the car that connects to the cars harness and to the tow socket. It may be on the boot on the right under the insulation. Make sure power is getting to that.

Then check at the towing socket. Have you 7 pin or 1 pin socket?
Google 7 pin wiring or 13 pin wiring and you will see which pin does what.

Check the earth pin as no earth will equal no electrics.
You may me able to, probably can check each pin for power as required without the trailer being connected.
If you put an indicator on and check the socket you should with a multi meter see 12v going on and off, easy with a needle type meter, not so clear with a digital meter.

fret not, give it a go and if you get stuck, come back.

if you have a 7 pin plug and socket, spread the pins apart a little the pins that have a slot in them.

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 22nd June 2022 at 16:18..
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2022, 14:51   #3
JohnnyBG
Avid contributor

ZT-T

Macafee2, thanks a lot for the response. Before posting the query I had tested my lighting board on another car, although had to use a board to car adapter, the board is 7 pin and test car was EU 13 pin. I had previously fitted a towbar to my old 500 single motorcycle and towed a trailer with it but it took me quite a while to sort out the (6v) electrics. It's easier on an old motorcycle, everything is on view and traceable.

The ZT-T is wired for caravan, black socket for lights and grey one for auxiliary power (I used to sometimes tow a caravan with the previous 75 tourer so used to the socket arrangements). It has a CD changer (which I don't want) in the rear offside cavity behind the tail lights. Daft to say but I think it is 7 pin on the black (lights) socket

So I plugged in the lighting board onto the ZT-T using the black socket and nowt. I undid the socket in case there was dirt or broken connections (had to drill out the bottom bolt). Of course after that faffing around everything was clean and all connections sound!

I'll have another go following your encouragement and tips. Of course, looking at the wiring diagram does nothing to tell you the physical locations on the car. I'll take some photos. I have an old analogue tester inherited from Dad and a modern analogue one.

Cheers

JohnnyBG

Last edited by JohnnyBG; 24th June 2022 at 14:54.. Reason: Add info
JohnnyBG is offline   Reply With Quote