Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th September 2010, 11:02   #51
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The paraffin waxes used in stats is a 'narrow cut' fraction with a very narrow melting range. Different cuts have different ranges. These waxes expand dramatically when they melt, more so than water does for example. So, the solid pellet of wax is trapped behind a sealed piston. This is pushed out against the return spring pressure when the wax melts and the diaphragm valve opens. Nothing can stop that force, it's tremendous. When the wax cools, it contracts and resolidifies below the set point of the stat, so closing the valve again. The return spring ensures a nice even closure.

So, let's consider what might happen if the stat breaks down.

A. Loss of wax past the seals.
If that happened, there would be insufficient volumetric expansion to open the valve fully. Engine would overheat.

B. Spring tension is lost in some way.
The valve will open whatever the spring tension, but there will be less efficient closure. The wax may solidify without the piston fully retracting. The stat fails open. This is not observed according to Jules experiences.

C. Water gets into the wax.
Not really sure how this could happen, but wax would have to be displaced from the capsule to let water in. Water/coolant and wax have no chemical inter-reaction. Water doesn't expand much when heated, so the valve would only open partially when the residual wax melts. Result, overheated engine.

D. Can't think of it.

So, there seem to be no obvious mechanism by which the stat will open fully below the set temperature due to wax/water factor. Other possibilities are that the outer seal tends to fail allowing coolant to bypass the stat. Seems very slim possibility, but a mechanism like that would explain the observations.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 18th September 2010 at 11:05..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 12:03   #52
Matt1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDT Tourer

TC,
Thanks for the explanations.
So, if there were bypass of the outer seal, then when testing a failed stat in hot water, it would open exactly the same as a new one, wouldnt it?
I just wish I had some to test.
Matt
Matt1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 14:27   #53
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1960 View Post
So, if there were bypass of the outer seal, then when testing a failed stat in hot water, it would open exactly the same as a new one, wouldnt it?
I would expect so. Maybe Jules will send you some to test?

TC
Old 27th September 2010, 19:54   #54
Frank Incensed
Ex 75 Owner

75 Tourerless

Default The Quest for an Alternative Thermostat - Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
So, there seem to be no obvious mechanism by which the stat will open fully below the set temperature due to wax/water factor. Other possibilities are that the outer seal tends to fail allowing coolant to bypass the stat. Seems very slim possibility, but a mechanism like that would explain the observations.
TC
Seems like half the problems with Rover engines are the result of the failure of silicone rubber seals.

I've had a response from thermostat manufacturers Behr, today. They seem to be saying that they don't supply the thermostat on its own without the housing and they don't make one with an alternative operating temperature. They've referred me to their UK distributor, Hans Motors in Birmingham. I'll send Hans Motors a copy of my original e-mail as, judging by the reply from Behr, something may have got lost in translation. I used to know someone who translated technical instructions and information from English to German and vice versa. Wish I was still in touch with him.

355188 of 355194
Frank Incensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 20:03   #55
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Most Germans speak English a lot better than a many of the English.

TC
Old 27th September 2010, 20:50   #56
Frank Incensed
Ex 75 Owner

75 Tourerless

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Most Germans speak English a lot better than a many of the English.

TC
Can't deny that TC. More probably an unwillingness to help than a lack of understanding. I hope it's a different story with Wahler, given their boast that they relish a challenge.

355188 of 355194
Frank Incensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 22:04   #57
DerekS
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

T-cut.. thats a good statement of cause and effect, and I would agree with you on your explanations ..... BUT my experience is different .

I have had several cars with 'waxstats' (mini/1100/maxi) and found that whenever the temp rose above normal for a little while ( I tow a small caravan), then the thermostat was bejiggered, and had to be replaced (easy jobs on those cars). It ALWAYS stuck open . My experience anyway. Are modern stats made different ?
DerekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 22:26   #58
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
I have had several cars with 'waxstats' (mini/1100/maxi) and found that whenever the temp rose above normal for a little while ( I tow a small caravan), then the thermostat was bejiggered, and had to be replaced (easy jobs on those cars). It ALWAYS stuck open. My experience anyway. Are modern stats made different ?
Logic tells you if the engine doesn't warm up to the stat's setting, then it must be stuck open. That's what I always assumed. However, member Jules' replacement of dozens of diesel thermostats shows otherwise. None have been stuck open.

It seems the true cause of this mystery has still to be found.

TC
Old 27th September 2010, 22:40   #59
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Could it be that the jammed thermo closes again when the system is drained, or when the housings fixings are being removed? i.e. stresses being relieved?
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 22:51   #60
rossocorsa
Posted a thing or two

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
T-cut.. thats a good statement of cause and effect, and I would agree with you on your explanations ..... BUT my experience is different .

I have had several cars with 'waxstats' (mini/1100/maxi) and found that whenever the temp rose above normal for a little while ( I tow a small caravan), then the thermostat was bejiggered, and had to be replaced (easy jobs on those cars). It ALWAYS stuck open . My experience anyway. Are modern stats made different ?
possibly a fail safe built in but set a bit too low? wouldn't explain a stat like mine though that works but will not hold a temp above 83C can't decide whether to bother changing it or not but mpg is a bit lame only hit 40mpg on a long run with a back wind!
rossocorsa is offline   Reply With Quote