Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd January 2016, 21:48   #1
simdel1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDTi, Porsche 944 Lux, MGF

Default Radioguy WinCE unit slow to detect satellites

I've recently installed a recon head unit and I'm really pleased I finally made the switch, but I do have a nagging problem with the Satnav functionality.

It seems to be taking an excessively long time to detect enough satellites to start working. On my way home from work today it took 40 minutes before the satellites were detected! Even when it does have a decent gps signal, it seems to lose connection very frequently. At the moment the Satnav is practically useless.

The gps antenna is attached the the bulkhead behind the radio. Do I need to move the antenna to a less obscured location like the passenger a-pillar or are there any other things I can check to work out why I'm having so many problems?

The Simdel1 Fleet:
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/447/sigmgf.png
simdel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 22:51   #2
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

I've always ran mine up the A pillar and never had any issues
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 22:58   #3
freck
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connie Tourer

My GPS antenna is attached to the metal frame behind the dash and the signal is excellent. Only takes seconds to acquire a fix once the Nav program boots up.

Is your antenna new? Might be worth buying a new one, or maybe borrowing one to try out?

Mods planned - Cruise retrofit - Done, ZT front bumper - Done, 160 remap - Done...and probably one or two more

This vehicle was the 15,751st 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
This vehicle was the 3,726th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur to be made out of 4,100
This vehicle was the 732nd 75 Tourer in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 4,100 Starlight Silver 75 Tourers
freck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 23:51   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Is the antenna mounted horizontally?

The best place is sat on top of the steel reinforcing bar, the structural bar which runs side to side of the car, just behind the radio. Make sure it is to one side or other of the sunlight sensor, if you have a climate system.

There it will have the maximum view of the sky, through the thin plastic of the dash top. Mine has always worked great in that position.

There will be times when it takes a while to acquire the satellites. If it has been unused for a while, or if the power to the unit has been off. More rarely weather or local interference can prevent it getting a fix.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016, 05:07   #5
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

I just laid my one on top of the dash, I ran the cable up between the dash and the A pillar. Never had a problem as it has a clear view of the sky and you don't notice it sitting on the dash. It's not even stuck down and never moves
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016, 09:36   #6
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Another vote for the A Pillar, mine was a bit slow under the dash , tried it up i nthe headlining, but it under metal there ... ended up inthe drivers A pillar.

There aresome days when the weather has a dramatic effect on Satelite aquisition though.
I can get to work 15 miles with no signal , or lock on before reaching the end of our road ( 30 yards)

C
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016, 19:51   #7
simdel1
Posted a thing or two

Cheers guys. Just had a look at it tonight. I put the gps antenna on to of the dash, near the light sensor and left it 15 minutes or so. No difference. I watched the gps screen for a while. It seemed to lock on to one satellite, then lost it immediately. I checked that the antenna was securely attached to the plug on the back and it almost looks like the protruding terminal from the centre of the antenna isn't long enough to make a decent connection to the headunit plug.

The antenna is brand new from radioguy so I don't see that being the problem.

The Simdel1 Fleet:
Old 23rd January 2016, 20:06   #8
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simdel1 View Post
Cheers guys. Just had a look at it tonight. I put the gps antenna on to of the dash, near the light sensor and left it 15 minutes or so. No difference. I watched the gps screen for a while. It seemed to lock on to one satellite, then lost it immediately. I checked that the antenna was securely attached to the plug on the back and it almost looks like the protruding terminal from the centre of the antenna isn't long enough to make a decent connection to the headunit plug.

The antenna is brand new from radioguy so I don't see that being the problem.
I'd contact him, Sean is extremely helpful
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016, 20:53   #9
190SETOURING
Posted a thing or two

MG ZTT 180se,MG ZT 260se Monogram

Its probably duff, needs to be replaced. No good if it dont work
190SETOURING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2016, 10:45   #10
simdel1
Posted a thing or two

Indeed, I'll give Sean and Jeff a nod. It's the excellent after sales support that convinced me to but from those guys in the first place.

Just a quick update - I tried to leave the sat nav running on the way to Corby to see if it still had a long delay, but I got a "Load fail!!" message when I tired to load the nav software.

It's a real shame because the blue tooth functionality is great, the dvd playback is good and the radio function is perfect. Hopefully we can get these niggles resolved.

The Simdel1 Fleet: