Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th August 2020, 17:12   #1
Eddiebassman
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 cdti tourer connoisseur se

Default Pcv filter material missing

Hi all. So I changed my pcv filter today which was fairly straight forward. However, it must be so long since this was done as all the filter material has vanished leaving just the plastic cage behind.

What problems could be caused by having no pcv filter for a prolonged period of time and is there anything worth checking?

The intercooler hose on my car is certainly porous as it’s caked on oil and has probably been like that for some time. I’ll be replacing this at some point soon (after payday).

I should point out that the posts by artic and greyghost helped me get this done, I would have had no chance without these, so thanks gents.
Eddiebassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2020, 17:37   #2
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Wow . now there's a name from the distant past.

GREYGHOST has been just that, a ghost for the last TEN years,

Time flies by.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2020, 19:47   #3
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiebassman View Post
Hi all. So I changed my pcv filter today which was fairly straight forward. However, it must be so long since this was done as all the filter material has vanished leaving just the plastic cage behind.

What problems could be caused by having no pcv filter for a prolonged period of time and is there anything worth checking?

The intercooler hose on my car is certainly porous as it’s caked on oil and has probably been like that for some time. I’ll be replacing this at some point soon (after payday).

I should point out that the posts by artic and greyghost helped me get this done, I would have had no chance without these, so thanks gents.
Are you sure it has not been replaced bt the BMW vortex replacement, Which does not have a filter fitted??

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2020, 22:36   #4
Eddiebassman
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 cdti tourer connoisseur se

Ah damn it, that makes sense. Here’s are some pics, now you said the word vortex, I noticed a coned shape at the bottom.
I guess this is worth keeping for next time since I’ve swapped something good for something mediocre!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45C40A35-AB68-4254-90BF-F5434C4ADC2C.jpg (15.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 59160CD1-57DE-46AD-8C04-9E2415721D01.jpg (17.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 23B98E48-E8DC-4747-A8BB-33CBC6E8ABBB.jpg (16.3 KB, 39 views)
Eddiebassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2020, 22:40   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Ah damn it, that makes sense. Here’s are some pics, now you said the word vortex, I noticed a coned shape at the bottom.
I guess this is worth keeping for next time since I’ve swapped something good for something mediocre!
The Jury is out on these.. Personally I prefer the original filter element, the filter will catch any crud and not let it pass through your engine.
Old 8th August 2020, 11:35   #6
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
The Jury is out on these.. Personally I prefer the original filter element, the filter will catch any crud and not let it pass through your engine.
I totally agree with you Trikey, I'd rather have to change the filter knowing that it catches the muck and it will be disposed of rather than the type that makes the engine ingest it's own waste.

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2020, 11:46   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
that looks like the cage that holds the filter material to me, ie someone has removed the filter material to release any blockage and reduce the smoke.

The PCV vortex I had always thought was just that, a spiral design - to create the vortex, which has a valve and spring in its centre.

With reference to vortex, there are many stories on the BM forums of them failing. Cheap ones tend to fail due to plastic fatigue, with the 'better' ones tending to fail due to seizing closed (I assume the spring fails and/or the valve gums closed ).

Another point with the vortex type ones. If you have one fitted, and get a little smoke, even though the intercooler hoses and rings check out fine, confirm the integrity of the vortex housing or seals have not been compromised (this is common on the BM forums also).

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2020, 14:43   #8
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Yes, that looks like the toilet roll type with the felt bit missing. Nothing in my Vortex one looks like that.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2020, 14:48   #9
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
that looks like the cage that holds the filter material to me, ie someone has removed the filter material to release any blockage and reduce the smoke.

The PCV vortex I had always thought was just that, a spiral design - to create the vortex, which has a valve and spring in its centre.

With reference to vortex, there are many stories on the BM forums of them failing. Cheap ones tend to fail due to plastic fatigue, with the 'better' ones tending to fail due to seizing closed (I assume the spring fails and/or the valve gums closed ).

Another point with the vortex type ones. If you have one fitted, and get a little smoke, even though the intercooler hoses and rings check out fine, confirm the integrity of the vortex housing or seals have not been compromised (this is common on the BM forums also).

The Vortex type is just a plastic funnel, however BOTH types have the rubber and spring diaphragm at the side of it. I changed both bits of mine as I figured the diaphragm must have been a bit tired after 100K. A lot of people seem to forget about the diaphragm bit.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2020, 20:29   #10
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Both types need the rubber and spring diaphragm, it is a depression limiting valve. The gases vent into the intake side of the turbocharger, and when it spools up the crankcase could go below ambient pressure if the valve didn't close.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote